Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

MB Quart Install Pics and Tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: MB Quart Install Pics and Tips

Woofer mounted in inner door panel, with panel mounted to door.

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Attached Thumbnails MB Quart Install Pics and Tips-mba4.jpg  

Last edited by RacerX; 01-04-2005 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:31 AM

Very nice install! Congrats! [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My car was taken apart this week to install my system. I feel your pain.

Have fun putting everything back! [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

BLKSNAKE - '04 G35 Coupe
Check out my hidden sub! [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2004, 02:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where does the 3rd speaker go? doesnt the Q series come with a tweeter, and 2 other speakers. dont know what they're called. larger one, and mid sized one. thats why i didnt put them in my car, but i really wanted to.
and a question: if you dont use dynamat, will it still take 4 hours and be laborious? or is it just stick it in and go.??? thanks . awesome writeup.

G35S 6MT
Technosquare ECU
350Z Springs & Struts
JWT popcharger + Z-tube
Stillen True Dual Exhaust
6-wire ground kit

Old 03-11-2004, 11:18 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

where does the 3rd speaker go? doesnt the Q series come with a tweeter, and 2 other speakers?

<hr></blockquote>

That's not correct. The Q's I used (QM 218.61 Q) come with 2 pairs of drivers (two for each side, not three). Two 6.5" mid range drivers, and two tweeters. Pretty much the same configuration as the stock drivers.

and a question: if you dont use dynamat, will it still take 4 hours and be laborious? or is it just stick it in and go.???

<hr></blockquote>

You could cut the time needed at least in half. The Dynamatting is quite easy, just a bit time consuming. It is well worth the extra effort and cost. Putting the inner door panel back on is a bit tough, but if you pay attention to the tips in my post, it is not that bad. Skipping the Dynamat, you could avoid removing the inner door panel. But it's still not completely a bolt up proposition. The Q's need different mounting holes drilled for the midrange drivers. You also need to widen the hole slightly, (I used my metric hammer.) Finally, you need to wire the crossover; the stock system runs seperate wires to the midrange driver and tweeter; you need to run one of these to the crossover, then new wires to the tweeter and midrange.

awesome writeup.

<hr></blockquote> Thanks, hope it helps.

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 01-04-2005, 12:07 PM
One point I should add, is that I used a hot glue gun to attach the crossover to the inside of the door panels. This is not a level surface, and it took a good amount of glue sticks to bridge the gaps.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was dynamatting the extreme inner portion of the door worth it? Could you just get away with dynamatting the area directly surrounding the speaker?

Since replacing my speakers, I do have some rattles coming from inside the door. Probably the speaker mount vibrating against the door. I'm hesitant to mess with the window though.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice write-up and pictures man.......kudos.
I also have some rattles come from my passenger door right in the middle where the crossover is mounted for my Infinity Perfect 6.1's I think my crossover's plastic case is vibrating against the door panel.

Good job!

docron1

Old 01-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by afr0puff
Was dynamatting the extreme inner portion of the door worth it? Could you just get away with dynamatting the area directly surrounding the speaker?

Since replacing my speakers, I do have some rattles coming from inside the door. Probably the speaker mount vibrating against the door. I'm hesitant to mess with the window though.
Dynamatting the inside of the outer door skins does make a noticable difference in road noise. Also, the bigger and more structually weak a surface is, the more the Dynamat can help. For example Dyanmatting the roof of a car does more than the floor, given similar area. All the ribs in the floor make it less prone to unwanted vibrations. So as flexible as the door skins are, Dynamatting these definately helped. I was torn on doing the black metal inner door panel....and decided it might make mounting the interior door panel difficult. So I passed on that...but others here have Dynamatted that.

From what I have heard from others here, the most likely cause of rattling inside the door is the wiring harness banging around. The solution here is to use soft foam backed with adhesive. Peal off the backing, and wrap it sticky side out around the wires in key locations.This cushions the wires, and keeps them from rattling. While the stock harness wires already have some of this stuff in a few points, you need to add some more, and also add it to the wires you have going to the crossover.

If you read the thread carefully you will see some sugestions on dealing with the window tracks. There is no worry about getting the window out of adjustment as there is on some cars, you simply need to unbolt the tracks. Reattaching them the first time you do this is definately a b**ch, but once you know the trick it's not too bad at all.

Last edited by RacerX; 01-05-2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by joepaniolo
Nice write-up and pictures man.......kudos.
I also have some rattles come from my passenger door right in the middle where the crossover is mounted for my Infinity Perfect 6.1's I think my crossover's plastic case is vibrating against the door panel.

Good job!

docron1
As you can see from the above thread, I mounted my crossovers to the back of the interior door panel, in the lower rear corner. The MB Quart crossovers are about as large as they come, and there was plenty of room. Maybe whatever you used to tack the crossovers in place came loose. I origanilly used silicone adhesive, and the crossovers came loose and started rattling around. I had to take the doors apart again, and I then used a pretty large quantity of hot glue, and never had this problem again.

Old 01-13-2005, 09:05 PM
i want to dynamat my car like you did, but my car is a lease. Do you think Infiniti will give any problems if they find out my car is dynamatted?

Old 01-14-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by RidinThaGSpot
i want to dynamat my car like you did, but my car is a lease. Do you think Infiniti will give any problems if they find out my car is dynamatted?
Do you really think they will pull the door panels off when you return the car at the end of your lease??? Not a chance. They will be more concerned with scratches on the painted bumpers.

Old 01-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Very nicely done RacerX.

Old 02-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Nice write up, and I love the MB Quart Q series speakers, the best sounding car speakers that I've heard. So I was told that you can't add aftermarket speakers to the bose system, because the speakers are individually amped, is that not correct? If so what do you have to do to add aftermarket speakers?

Thanks,

John

Old 02-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Trik69
Nice write up, and I love the MB Quart Q series speakers, the best sounding car speakers that I've heard. So I was told that you can't add aftermarket speakers to the bose system, because the speakers are individually amped, is that not correct? If so what do you have to do to add aftermarket speakers?

Thanks,

John
Totally false. There is no problem at all changing the speakers without changing the amp. Of course, you will not be able to appreciate the true capabilities of the MB Quarts, (or other good components) if you keep the stock amp. My MB's sounded great with the Bose amp. BUT, there was a huge improvement again when I switched to my JL 300/4 to power them.

Old 02-08-2005, 01:08 PM
RacerX,

Where did you put the JL amp? Also, what other speakers do have in your car?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB Quart Install Pics and Tips