Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Controls for CarPuter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 03:51 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-24-2005, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well thanks for the pictures but Im hopelessly lost

Im looking at the schematic and looking at the picture of the put together wires and they dont seem like theyre the same

I also really suck at schematics though Not logical enough for me; it gives the information but it isnt linear

So Im assuming the relay on the bottom is already there?
If Im understanding that bottom relay correctly, when the computer is turned on "Ground/Power (Yellow)" is connected to "Radio Harness (25, Yellow, Ground)" and when it is turned off the 5v from the game port gets sent to "Ground/Power (Yellow)"
Wouldnt that short it out? Is that correct?

And instead of triggering the relay when the computer gets power, would it be possible to trigger the relay when the input on the head unit is changed to SAT
That would allow the stock radio and CD controls to be used from the steering wheel even when the computer was on

Also, I think your computer switch position is opposite of what its supposed to be in relation to the realy switch positions

Old 01-24-2005, 07:18 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer
The relay is optional and only used if you want to keep the controls for your headunit. I have a switch wired to change it. The mod does reverse the direction of the current, but it doesn't matter, your not connected to the headunit anymore when the relay is on the computer.

Old 01-24-2005, 07:39 PM
That didnt answer any of my questions thanks for the reply though (and the pictures)

There are two relays in the schematic
I was wondering if the bottom relay was already present in the stock G35 configuration as you didnt list a second relay in your parts list

Also for the correction I was talking about, I think it should be like this:
[ig]http://www.dwoloz.com/SWCDiagram.png[/img]

Also if you could answer my question about possible SAT button relay trigger instead of computer power trigger and my question about the 5v from the game port shorting out the circuit when the bottom relay is triggered

Last edited by dwoloz; 01-24-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:05 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Actually you only need 1 relay that can switch 3 wires at once, which is what is shown in the photo. It just looks like two relays in the diagram cause that was the clearest to draw. No, the 5 volts will not short out the circuit, it provides it power since its no longer getting the current from the head unit.

If you can get the sat button to give you the voltage you need to trigger the relay you use when its active, you can use it.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:23 PM
Ah I see, that makes sense then

I think this is a correct modification then; shows just one relay now (also has the switch position correction)

And about the 5v, Im probably just dense but it looks like the 5v goes to a ground. You know better than I though so Im taking your word on it

And for the SAT I was hoping maybe you had some insight
I dont know anything about the G35 wiring (mostly because I dont even have one yet)
When the SAT button is pressed shouldnt there be a voltage fed out to some wire to power what would normally be the sat reciever?

Last edited by dwoloz; 01-24-2005 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:56 PM
I just got a PAC AAI-NIS and noticed it has a yellow/black wire for SWC output (that can be used for the SWI-X)
Could this be somewhow used for computer input?
I think it would be easier to tap into this line rather than digging up other wires and tapping into those

And now that I have a AAI-NIS in my hands I found a better way to activate the relay. Since the AAI-NIS has 2 remote ground wires for each input, simply hook up the relay to the first remote ground wire. Then connect to the other side of the coil to any accessory 12v power source. Now the relay will only activate when the system is switched to auxilary instead of whenever the computer is on

Last edited by dwoloz; 02-03-2005 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:27 AM
Any ideas on the possibilities of the yellow SWC output on the AAI-NIS unit?

Old 02-10-2005, 09:29 AM
StreetDeck.com Developer
I don't know how it works, so I can't say. If it changes resistance based on button presses it will work.