Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Stock BOSE Speakers Size?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 02:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock BOSE Speakers Size?

Does anyone know what are the stock Bose speaker size including the tweeters, fronts, side-rear, and rear deck? Also, is there any special equipment required to install aftermarket speakers without changing stock head unit? Hence, im trying to go with the stock look but want better sound.

Old 03-14-2004, 05:57 AM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Stock BOSE Speakers Size?

Ok....who's wants to answer this? This post rehashes several other posts...you must be a newbie.....I'll answer you for this very first time since I was in your spot at one point.

1. Stock deck = sucks
Stock Clarion deck has Low votage output, something like 0.3 volts (vs. an aftermarket deck putting out 3-8 Volts). Bose system/amp runs unorthodox 2 ohm resistence (vs. most aftermarket stuff runs at 4 ohms)

2. If you change your speakers, it would be best to change your stock Bose amp. Some people say that you can use stock amp with aftermarket speakers. Still doesn't sound good though IMO.

3. If you change out your amp and install a new amp and speakers you need LOCs (line level converters) between your stock deck and your amps.

4. The sizes of the speakers are:

a. Fronts are 6.5" seperates, pretty good speaker depth. My Infinity Perfect 6.1's fit in there.
Tweet space should fit most 1" tweets.

b. Backseat side panels are 6.5" but real shallow. I went with 3-way Eclipses back there.
The 6.5" Infinity Kappas I originally bought would not fit depth wise.

c. Rear shelf are 6X9" subs. Pretty good depth. My Infinity 3-way Kappas fit in there.

The cheapest, easiest and probably best upgrade you can do without spending an arm and a leg is to:
1. Change front tweets out with a decent $100 pair of aftermarket tweets. Then just insert a $0.99 RadioShack 10uF capacitor before the tweet.

2. Install an Infinity BassLink powered sub spliced into your rear shelf wiring in the trunk. I think you have to place LOCs before the BassLink though.... You can get a new BassLink off Ebay for $230-250.

Do a search or peruse through this forum for other people's great and helpful input and experiences.

I spent close to $2K for my entire audio upgrade but I did everything: swapped out to skyline dash, aftermarket deck, all new aftermarket speakers throughout, Infinity BassLink in the trunk, 2 MTX amps. It sounds 10000% better than the "premium system" you get. But thats alot of money. For less than $400, you can do the tweet and BassLink thing and have it sound pretty decent, definately better than stock. It just depends on how much you want, or rather..... have to spend and how well you want it to sound.

Hope this helps....