Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

d3 install question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2008 | 08:31 PM
|
d3 install question...

ive searched and searched...maybe im just typing in the wrong key words...but here goes anyways

to install the d3 with the factory bose amp....can i use the PAC OEM 2 adapter to reduce the "hissing"?? and i need to get the nissan wiring harness separately correct??

also are there any other alternatives?? i came across the Scosche FAi-3A through the search but i just cant find it anywhere...

thanks

Old 02-06-2008 | 09:16 PM
You need Metra 70-7551 harness to keep Bose. I have it, it works good but not great i expected better sound but it does its job.

Old 02-08-2008 | 07:33 PM
|
hmmm...im still researching the pac oem 2 adapter...anyone else have any inputs on this??

Old 02-10-2008 | 03:56 PM
Ok, here is what I did to get the absolute best sound out of this system and believe me I tried every way talked about, so I know this is the best if you are going to continue to use the bose system.

First, do not, I repeat DO NOT use the Metra harness. You will have hissing with this and may even get engine noise. The reason for this is that the RCA plugs on the back of the D3 are not grounded that well. Even if you have the headunit well grounded, you still may get whine. If you do a search about this on other forums, you will find that this is a known problem with the D3.

So my recommendation is to not use the RCA connections at all. I made this mistake first and could not get it to work right at all not matter what I did. Sure you can throw a filter on it, but then you are cutting down on the sound that you will get out of the system.

So I went the other way, with a LOC (line out converter). This completely illiminated any and all hissing and made my system substantially louder. The one I went with is Peripheral Electronics SVEN4. This is a four channel LOC all in one. What is more, you can use it as a line out converter from RCA to speaker wires, or speaker level input to speaker level output. Use the wire to wire for the best connection, because again, the RCA connections on our unit suck. All four channels are fully adjustable as well which is super important so your speakers will sound their best and you don't blow something you don't want to.

Yes, the SVEN4 is bulky, but you can fit it in the dash with the rest of the equipment with some creative maneuvering. Trust me. After spending a lot of time and money on my own and tearing my dash apart too many times to remember, this is the only way to go with the Bose intact.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2008 | 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by fishmd
Ok, here is what I did to get the absolute best sound out of this system and believe me I tried every way talked about, so I know this is the best if you are going to continue to use the bose system.

First, do not, I repeat DO NOT use the Metra harness. You will have hissing with this and may even get engine noise. The reason for this is that the RCA plugs on the back of the D3 are not grounded that well. Even if you have the headunit well grounded, you still may get whine. If you do a search about this on other forums, you will find that this is a known problem with the D3.

So my recommendation is to not use the RCA connections at all. I made this mistake first and could not get it to work right at all not matter what I did. Sure you can throw a filter on it, but then you are cutting down on the sound that you will get out of the system.

So I went the other way, with a LOC (line out converter). This completely illiminated any and all hissing and made my system substantially louder. The one I went with is Peripheral Electronics SVEN4. This is a four channel LOC all in one. What is more, you can use it as a line out converter from RCA to speaker wires, or speaker level input to speaker level output. Use the wire to wire for the best connection, because again, the RCA connections on our unit suck. All four channels are fully adjustable as well which is super important so your speakers will sound their best and you don't blow something you don't want to.

Yes, the SVEN4 is bulky, but you can fit it in the dash with the rest of the equipment with some creative maneuvering. Trust me. After spending a lot of time and money on my own and tearing my dash apart too many times to remember, this is the only way to go with the Bose intact.

Hope this helps.
I am assuming this in only on the D3. Perhaps other headunits, Alpine, wouldn't cause a hiss?

Old 02-11-2008 | 09:40 PM
Probably so, but as I only have experience with the D3, I can only comment on that one.