Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

torn to shreds for auido upgrade/installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: torn to shreds for auido upgrade/installation

Aside for the equipment the install cost around $1800. I got a good deal on all the labor and parts.

Old 03-24-2004, 09:36 AM

The JL 500/1 is powering the JL 10W7.
One of the JL 300/4 is powering the front speakers (MB Quart Q 218.61 components)
The other JL 300/2 is powering the rear speakers (MB Quart Q 218.61 components)

I upgraded the stock battery and used the Phoenix Gold TPowerGrid10 (10 farad) as a capacitor.

The last thing to be installed when it comes in is a Eclipse DVD-3101 dvd player which will be mounted under the cup holder in the back seat. I'll post more pics when it is all finalized.

As to why I used 2 JL 300/4s... the MB Quart components I was told are very power hungry and under recommendation I got a second 300/4. I originally was going to use just one 300/4. The 10W7 hits hard...sounds awesome.. and the MB Quart components are unbelievable. I love 'em! The whole system was dynomated to prevent any vibrations and to get nice tight enclosed sound. nothing rattles thank god. I can crank the system to way beyond what my ears can take and it still sounds perfectly clean and clear.

let me know if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer if I can.

Old 03-24-2004, 11:10 AM

First: amazing setup. I love the way the kicker looks stock.

Questions:
Do you think you will see power losses in your acceleration with the aftermarket speakers? You mentioned a battery upgrade, can you tell me what you did? Also, Im a stereo idiot - what exactly does the capacitor do?

Old 03-24-2004, 12:24 PM
Omi
Charter Monkey Florida G35 club

very nice! your setup there is making me rethink my decision and maybe changing out my stereo

Old 03-24-2004, 12:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sweet setup, do you think a 12" could be fit where you have your sub? how much space does your sub have?

Old 03-24-2004, 01:12 PM

I havent noticed and loss of power in acceleration. The cap and the battery upgrade should help. The only loss might be due to a little increase in vehicle weight. I dont notice and loss but then again i havent driven my G for the last 2 weeks so i am so happy to get it back and the system distracts me from performance of the car so far. I'll have to update you on this after the system is so "new" to me and I am more critical to the performance.

As far as the job of a cap. Recommended cap vlues are approx 0.5 farads per 500 watts. so 100W would require a 1 farad. anyway.... when you system hits hard it will require a lot of current. If your system is connected directly through a fused line to your battery the battery will have a voltage drop do to a strong hit on the system. If this happens your alternator will work extra and your electrical system will be hurtin. dimming headlights and all kinds of annyances. The cap run between the fused line to the battery and the amps allows the stored energy to be dumped from the cap instead of the car battery. this prevents your battery from seeing significant voltage changes as well as prevents any electrical shortages like dimming lights.... just a very quick explanation... hope it helped.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:17 PM

the 10w7 hits hard! From how i have played with it so far i think the 10 is far more than enough for my tastes. I love it. Fitting a 12 in there would be nuts... but ya know ... everyone to there own tastes. if you are asking a 12w7 vs. the 10w7 i had installed it might fit.

the 10w7 is 9.5" diameter with just shy of 10 inches in total depth.

the 12w7 is 12.5" diameter with just over 11" in depth. I imagine it could fit with a similar install to what I had done. If the floor wasnt built up as high as mine came you might get the extra diameter in there. I'll snap some more pictures of the sub cone straight on so you can see closer how it fits. if you wanted a 12 in that location it could be done.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:20 PM

The battery in the coupe is rather small so they upgraded it to something a little more "beefy". The installed a deep cycle SVR battery. I dont remember which one... if someone wants to know more i can go look... just ask me.. otherwise the best I can tell you know is it was one of these:

http://www.svrbatteries.com/audio_line.html

Old 03-24-2004, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the cap definition - perfect.

I'm trying to read up on car audio so when I get mine done the shop won't talk over my head and fleece me on the price and quality of install. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:39 PM

EMayhem,

I dont know where you live but if you have any questions or looing for prices on stuff let me know. If I cant help you with information I could refer your question to my buddy who did the install and let you know what he says. By no means am I a pro with this stuff either but with all the questions i have come up with and have had answered i'd be glad to help you out if I can in anyway. If you're in my area let me know.

Old 03-24-2004, 02:34 PM

Thanks.

In in CT, not TOO far from you I guess. As I get closer to my actual install, I'm sure I be posting questions like a madman. My car has been ordered for a June delivery, so I'm trying to get ahead of the game by getting everything worked out beforehand.

Old 03-24-2004, 06:09 PM

closer up zoom of zoom enclosure/sub as requested.

214455-IMGP1132-2.jpg

Old 03-24-2004, 06:10 PM

few others for the fun of it.

214456-IMGP1133-2.jpg

Old 03-24-2004, 06:10 PM

214457-IMGP1134-2.jpg

Old 03-24-2004, 06:12 PM

last one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: torn to shreds for auido upgrade/installation