Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

DNX5120 installed, thanks for the advice, lots of pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how much was it?

Old 03-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does that gap around the unit bother you?

Old 03-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by white_dc5
Does that gap around the unit bother you?
No, not really. I'll see if I can find something to fill it, but I closed off the back of it, so it doesn't look horrible. I've seen a few double din installs where you can see cables and lights through there, which would have been unacceptable.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:19 PM
i was wondering, how does the sound compare to your stock HU? i have a kenwood too and i think it doesnt sound as loud and the bass is almost non existent till i turn the volume all the way up.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Looks very good! I have a D3 ready to be installed but I am seriously thinking of selling it and going with DNX5120. The Garmin nav is my main interest. Do you mind if i ask how much you picked it up for? So far, is there anything about it that you don't like?

Thanks
-Tyson

Old 03-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how do you wire up the night mode? What color is the wire and what do I need to tap into?
thanks!

how do you wire up the night mode? What color is the wire and what do I need to tap into?
thanks!

thanks!

Old 03-18-2008, 05:54 PM
wow 9 posts ... I'm sorry, I'm using an iPhone

Old 03-18-2008, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by jiggalam
i was wondering, how does the sound compare to your stock HU? i have a kenwood too and i think it doesnt sound as loud and the bass is almost non existent till i turn the volume all the way up.
The bass is definitely weaker, but overall sound quality seems better. The speakers are somewhat crappy in this car, so I may upgrade them next.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by G-4ME
Looks very good! I have a D3 ready to be installed but I am seriously thinking of selling it and going with DNX5120. The Garmin nav is my main interest. Do you mind if i ask how much you picked it up for? So far, is there anything about it that you don't like?

Thanks
-Tyson
I paid $820, but now it's available on Amazon for $740 (dang it!). I love the Garmin nav, but the UI itself is a little clunky. Lots of random useless buttons all over the screen that make for small click targets. I have strong feelings about user interfaces, though, since I used to design them a long time ago. I prefer a very simple look and feel with the complex, seldom used things hidden out of view.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with this unit, though. It contains something equivalent to a Garmin Nuvi 600 series, which cost like $500 by itself, and it has a very decent car stereo built around it. The iPod interface is one of the best I've seen in a car stereo, but it's a little painful to navigate through large song lists, but playlists fix this.

Oh, it does not work with iPhone and iPod touch. It plays different songs than you select and album art is scrambled. I bought an iPod Classic, and that works great.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:11 PM
The GPS night mode is automatically enabled by the Garmin unit based on time of day. The display of the head unit dims when you turn your headlights on, and that's wired into your harness, so there are two independent night modes. If you get the Nissan wiring harness and attach it to the radio as indicated, this will work. I don't remember the color offhand, but the original Nissan radio already had this wire going into it.

Originally Posted by Red_G35
thanks!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by marcinr

Overall, I'm very satisfied with this unit, though. It contains something equivalent to a Garmin Nuvi 600 series, which cost like $500 by itself, and it has a very decent car stereo built around it. The iPod interface is one of the best I've seen in a car stereo, but it's a little painful to navigate through large song lists, but playlists fix this.
Just an FYI - its actually based on the Garmin StreetPilot line, not the Nuvi series.. That was the main reason I purchased the DNX5120 (Its replacing my StreetPilot 2820).

The StreetPilot line has one feature that the other Garmins (Nuvis) don't have - the ability to do custom detours. With the Nuvi when you hit the 'detour' button it'll take you off the planned route automatically; with the StreetPilots (and the DNX5120) you can put some input into the detour such as the length of the detour (1/2 mi, 1 mi, 5, mi, etc) or avoid specific streets. After having tried a Nuvi I think that the limitations were huge.

BTW - I got mine delivered today and I'll be doing the install tomorrow...

Last edited by hls811; 03-18-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:18 AM
The GPS night mode is automatically enabled by the Garmin unit based on time of day. The display of the head unit dims when you turn your headlights on, and that's wired into your harness, so there are two independent night modes. If you get the Nissan wiring harness and attach it to the radio as indicated, this will work. I don't remember the color offhand, but the original Nissan radio already had this wire going into it.
Very helpful, thanks.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:08 AM

Does this unit use the GXM30 antenna from Garmin?

From what I understand this antenna brings in the the GPS and XM Satellite Radio so there is no need for multiple antennas like there are on Pioneer units?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DNX5120 installed, thanks for the advice, lots of pics