Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

DNX5120 installed, thanks for the advice, lots of pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jayjay1122
Does this unit use the GXM30 antenna from Garmin?

From what I understand this antenna brings in the the GPS and XM Satellite Radio so there is no need for multiple antennas like there are on Pioneer units?
No, it doesn't.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you need a Ipod cable? or can you plug in the ipod via USB connection?

Old 03-24-2008, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marcinr
I finally installed my Kenwood DNX5120 today, after reading all the advice from you guys about antenna locations, steering wheel interfaces, double din units, etc. Thanks all.

Have you had any problems playing MP3's of of CD's or DVD's?

Old 03-24-2008, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by flydiom
do you need a Ipod cable? or can you plug in the ipod via USB connection?
You can plug an iPod in to the USB directly but it would treat it as a USB drive, you'd find your music by browsing folders instead of the iPod options (Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Playlist, etc...)

Old 03-24-2008, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by jayjay1122
Does this unit use the GXM30 antenna from Garmin?

From what I understand this antenna brings in the the GPS and XM Satellite Radio so there is no need for multiple antennas like there are on Pioneer units?
Right now theres no option to get XM through the radio Kenwood is going to a new adapter, the XM interface Box KCA-XM100V which has not yet been released.

I bought the Audiovox XM Direct hoping it would work (As it did with older Kenwoods) but they changed the shape of the interface plug on the DNX5120 so its a no-go.

I spoke to a sales rep at Kenwood last week and he doesn't have a definitive release date yet but says it should be by the end of March (which is only a few days away)... Hopefully he's right because I miss my XM!

Old 03-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hls811
Have you had any problems playing MP3's of of CD's or DVD's?
I never tried, but the manual makes it seem very tedious to navigate through them, even though the radio supports it. You can have a look for yourself by downloading the manual from Kenwood's web site. Basically, it has a hard coded order of traversing through MP3's on the disk. You can't go a folder back or a folder ahead, just one song back and one ahead, and it has limitations on how many files are in each folder, and how many folders there are.

I bought an iPod Classic, and use that. The iPod interface is fantastic, I can access all play lists, albums, artists, etc. I wouldn't bother with burning mp3's to DVD or CD, the iPod is well worth the extra cost.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by marcinr
I never tried, but the manual makes it seem very tedious to navigate through them, even though the radio supports it. You can have a look for yourself by downloading the manual from Kenwood's web site. Basically, it has a hard coded order of traversing through MP3's on the disk. You can't go a folder back or a folder ahead, just one song back and one ahead, and it has limitations on how many files are in each folder, and how many folders there are.

I bought an iPod Classic, and use that. The iPod interface is fantastic, I can access all play lists, albums, artists, etc. I wouldn't bother with burning mp3's to DVD or CD, the iPod is well worth the extra cost.
I have the DNX5120 already and haven't been able to play MP3's, thats why I was asking. I've been in touch with Kenwood 2x already and know one other owner has been also for the same issue. (he had posted the issue on a forum too). I just wanted to see if you might have experienced the same thing.

I have an iPod Touch that I'm currently using, but there are some issues with that as well (Due to the way Apple re-wired the Dock port on the Touch) - but I just ordered a 5th Generation iPod that I'll keep in the car.