Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

6X9 Low Frequency

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6X9 Low Frequency

Trying to get the most bass humanly possible w/o sacrificing space. Will have a Memphis Belle 600X5 or similar on back of rear seat and replace all speakers.

I'm assuming the best potential for low end will come out of the 6X9s. Is it as simple as searching for the 6X9 that has the lowest frequency response specified? I've seen them as low as 28 or 29Hz on an Infinity and low 30s on the Orions or Quartz.

Has anyone personally seen an 8" or 10" sub installed under the rear deck in place of the 6X9s and what does it entail?

I'm familiar with the BlackBuzzard thread but I never did see a final result and I'm wondering about the validity of using the speaker specifications frequency ranges. Holding all other variables constant, is 28 Hz as low as it gets without a sub, and is this rating even a good indicator for the potential lows coming out of it?

Old 03-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Re: 6X9 Low Frequency

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-us77zrW...=0&cc=01&avf=N

That's a Crutchfield link to a Kenwood eXcelon KFC-XR901 6X9. Looking at the specs, wouldn't this be my best bet for the lowest bass possible with a direct replacement speaker?

Old 03-29-2004, 01:05 PM

I'd go with the best quality with anything around 30hz. Many feel that anything under 30hz is inaudible or subsonic. Some claim that they can 'hear' a note down to 28hz and even less. I think that they feel the note and equate that with hearing it. Regardless, anything around 30 to 40hz will be fine. They might be good for mid bass but 6x9's are really not the best for the low end.

Old 03-30-2004, 02:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont quit understand about this, you are thinking use memphis BELLE which is one of better amp around, yet you are gonna use 6x9's for lows???

if you dont want to add sub in the trunk? try use small size sub in the rear panel, like focal's 5 inch sub, fosgate's HE 6 1/2 or onyx audio's LSQ6's, they have frequency response around 40-45, but you can not ask the samller sub to do much, dont think you can get 6x9 to play down to 50 let alone below 30!

03 coupe 5AT DG/G premium,performance

Old 03-30-2004, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the advice so far.

To clarify, #1 mission: I don't want to do anything that will sacrifice space, or functionality. Thus, my goal is to find speakers that will give me the lowest lows possible, within the confines of my mission #1.

I'm trying to find the speakers and the location that will deliver the lowest lows possible. I just figured this would be the 6x9s. I was asking if looking at the frequency range was an appropriate way to do this. I figured I'd search all the 6x9s until I found the one that had the lowest Hz frequency. Is that a valid method? Or will I have a better opportunity for lows/bass in my rear door 6.5s?

Basically, what will deliver the lowest lows possible, without taking up any space (ie. NO BOXES, custom or otherwise)...no Infinity basslink, no "small" box, no modifying the rear deck, etc.

Whatever I do, I know I will want good clean power. So far, the shop I went to suggested putting Orion component 6.5s in the front, Orion co-ax in the rear doors, leaving the 6X9s alone, and putting a 600/5 amp (Memphis Belle) in the trunk. I'm ok with the amp taking up space as it would take up unusable space for me anyway.

So, the latest I'm thinking is trying to fit a Kicker RMB6 somewhere...maybe two in the rear deck, maybe they will fit in the rear doors.
Thoughts on that idea?

Old 03-31-2004, 04:47 PM

I've read that a 8" will fit in the rear deck but I haven't been able to confirm that from anyone. If that's the case, go with the Kicker RMB8's.

I have the same requirements as you regarding space. I would like to use the OEM speaker openings without sacrificing trunk space. I have 6.5 components for the front, the RMB6's for the rear side panel (i have a coupe), and i have a set of MB Quart 6x9 separates which I plan on using in the rear deck but I'm thinking I might be better off with the RMB8's if they will fit.

Let me know how it turns out.

Old 04-01-2004, 02:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with slightly moded, it will fit anything on or under the rear deck, the shop put in a 6 1/2 coaxial at rear deck, they trace the stock opening hole and mouthing points and cut it onto a wood plate screw the 6 1/2 onto it , and than mount the whole thing into the stock opening. with an 8 inch subs, they can do the samething, just have to make a small box that might portrude down to trunk some 5-7 inchs, maybe less.

03 coupe 5AT DG/G premium,performance

Old 04-01-2004, 08:48 AM

Lime,
Thanks for the tips, but I really don't want a box. I want to keep the stock cardboard trim in the trunk. I wan't zero visible indication that anything has changed. Thus, I am left with free air sub solutions only.

I don't need the car to rattle my neighbors windows, I just want it to sound like I am right there at the Tool or Limp Bizkit concert. Is this impossible without putting a box somewhere?

RadYOacTVe how does your system sound right now with the RMB6s in the rear panel? That was exactly the setup I suggested and the shop guy told me that the Orions would make more bass than then Kickers although on paper, the Orions are in the 45 hz range and the Kickers are below 30 hz, so I don't know what he's basing that on. Also, what amp are you powering everything with? Do the Kickers in the rear panel give you better bass than the 6x9s in the deck?

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2004, 04:49 PM

Cat,

I havent had them installed yet. I'm still trying to decide if i'm going to go with the RMB8's. I'm leaning in that direction. I had them in my doors of my 2002 Miata that I traded for the G and they werent real loud but had enough bottom end to fill in what the mid's couldnt do. It was more than I needed in a car that size and I couldnt get much more in there anyway. I'll post a link to my cardomain site when i get home from work. I had the JL Audio 300/4 running them and 250/1 running a couple of 8's in a fiberglass enclosure in the trunk of my Miata. The cockpit of the car is so separated from the trunk you couldnt hear them anyway. I'll probably use both amps, it's always better to have more power than not enough. I'm not sure if the 6x9 will get me low enough since its mid from a set.

Let me know what you decide to go with, it seems we have similar ideas. Coming from a miata, I dont want to sacrifice any more room than I have to.

Old 04-01-2004, 05:29 PM

RadYo,
I think I'm going to hit the exhaust (Stillen) and the intake (Z-tube and Stillen hi flow box) and let the stereo stew until I can get some more solid ideas that don't involve fabricating rattle traps and taking up golf club space. Sounds like the RMB8s might be sufficient for what I'm looking for....which is something inbetween mid bass and REAL bass. I'm anxious to see your site. I was hoping you'd let me know what YOU decided to do . I'll probably just break down and get a bass link but that probably takes up more room than it helps.

Old 04-02-2004, 09:46 AM

Here's the site to my old car.

http://miata.cardomain.com/id/radyoactve

The RMB'8s fit in the door and I had fiberglass kickpanels made for the mids. This gave me a nice full sound which is all i'm looking for in the G. I'm pretty sure i'm going to go that route. There is a guy on ebay right now selling a bunch of RMB'8's for $70.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3088018726&category=18802
I think i'm going to bite the bullet and go that route and see how it turns out. I'll sell the MB Quart set if I'm satisfied with the Kickers.

Are you mounting your amps on the back of the rear seat?

BTW...a local car audio store quoted about $250 to install 2 amps and the speakers.

Old 04-02-2004, 09:56 AM

I'm thinking of putting Orion components up front (3 ohm speakers), leaving the 6x9s alone, putting the RMB 8s in the rear and running a Memphis Belle 5 channel that's mounted on the back of the rear seat. I've read on here to make sure and put big washers on the other side of the seat or the amp will eventually fall off.

Think my set up would work? Will I run into any ohm issues? Keep in mind, I'm a total amateur at this.

Old 04-02-2004, 02:44 PM

Sounds like a good setup. Does the amp. have built-in crossovers? That way you could feed the mid-bass and up (high pass) to the fronts, and midbass and lower (low pass) to the 8's.
I'm not familiar with Memphis Belle. I'd call their tech. support and see if their amp will let you do 3ohms fronts w/4 ohm (probably) rears. I doubt it will be a problem.

I'm getting my coupe back tonight (hopefully) with some audio goodies installed. I'll post later once I hear how everything sounds. (Boston Z6s in front, Boston 12.5LF in fiberglass box in trunk. Two Precision Power amps running the show.)

..Bryan..

Old 07-08-2004, 10:40 PM

Catatafish

Did you ever install the RMB8's? How did it turn out?

04 Silverstone G35 Coupe