Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Satellite Radio

How can I tell if I have this? I hit the botton and it said 'No Sat". I know I need a subsciption but how do you tell if the radio is hooked up for it? I have a 03 and according to service records it was replaced in July 07.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's saying "No Sat", then you need to get an XM/Sirius tuner and the antenna. You can double check to make sure whether or not you have a tuner by looking in the trunk, the harness for the tuner is to the left of the spare. If there is no harness, then you will need to buy the wiring harness as well.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Mike_Deezy
If it's saying "No Sat", then you need to get an XM/Sirius tuner and the antenna. You can double check to make sure whether or not you have a tuner by looking in the trunk, the harness for the tuner is to the left of the spare. If there is no harness, then you will need to buy the wiring harness as well.
I do not have the tuner. Looked in the trunk and also my VIN # was before they started installing tuner. I found the VIN #'s that have them on another G35 forum. **** my luck

Old 03-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sleeper22
I do not have the tuner. Looked in the trunk and also my VIN # was before they started installing tuner. I found the VIN #'s that have them on another G35 forum. **** my luck
tuners were never installed on the cars unless you bought it with the car at the dealership. Are you at least pre-wired? If you are, then you simply buy the tuner and antenna and just plug them in. If you're not pre-wired, then it's more of a PITA process becuase you then have to remove your HU and then run the wires to the back of your trunk.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It helps to tell everyone that you have a sedan. The tuner for the 03-06 sedan should be in the trunk mounted to the lower left hand corner of the back seat.

"NO SAT" means you don't have a tuner connected. Check www.everythingg35.com for a sat tuner kit.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:40 PM
I don't think I am pre-wired because I can't find a harness in the back. The only thing I see is when you pull up the carpet behind the seat in the trunk is a cable that goes underneath to something but not sure what? It is surrounded by a thick rubber gasket.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Check the VIN range.

Sedan VIN: 321894 & higher are pre-wired
Coupe VIN: 210827 & higher are pre-wired
All 2004 and later cars are pre-wired from the factory.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by Gilley
Check the VIN range.

Sedan VIN: 321894 & higher are pre-wired
Coupe VIN: 210827 & higher are pre-wired
All 2004 and later cars are pre-wired from the factory.
I am screwed. Vin # 317684....My luck as usual

What is a good one to get now?

Old 03-27-2008, 08:04 AM
You just have to buy the sat prewire cable and install it along with the tuner and antenna.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Gilley
You just have to buy the sat prewire cable and install it along with the tuner and antenna.
Thanks Gilley

Old 03-28-2008, 08:48 AM
OK have a question about XM and Sirius. It is possible they may merge and if they do will the tuner for each be obsolete or not work? Would it be wise to wait till they do merge? A guy here at work said the tuners for each will not work once they do merge because the technology for each is different. Personally I would not think so but what do I know?

I looked yesterday at Circuit City at a XM radio kit. $50 for the kit and $30 for the FM module and $70 for installation. Does this sound reasonable? I could hide the tuner in the dash compartment where the navigation system goes

Old 03-28-2008, 11:40 AM
None of the other tuners will completely integrate into the OEM radio.

The current equipment will continue to work after any merger occurs. Each of the companies will probably broadcast the same programming over their respective satellites. An equipment upgrade may be necessary years from now though.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:09 PM
I went with Sirius and a separate unit called the Stratus 4 for $50. I figure if I wanted to purchase the home conversion in the future then this would be the way to go. Get it installed tomorrow

Thanks for everyones help.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:10 AM
How are you going to get it to play through the car's audio system? If you are going to use an FM modulator, Nissans use a diversity antenna that is different from a standard antenna connector. Just let the installer know that. I don't know if there is a special adapter for it, but there may be. That's why I ask, so that other people can learn and do it the same way.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Yes, I purchased an FM modulator and you are right about the other connectors. The installer told me yesterday about them. Like an extra $20-$25 in connectors. Thank you very much Gilley you have been a big help

I will let you know how this shakes out.

I do have one more question. Can I replace the Bose amp with another amp I have had forever. It is a Linear Power amp from back in the 90's. I hear the stock Bose amp sucks or that is the consensus here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio