Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius Satellite help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius Satellite help!!

Hello,

I just purchased a second hand Sirius receiver for my 04 G35 Coupe. I plugged in the white harness and the antenna and ran the antenna to the rear shelf and let it sit between the speakers.

It seemed to work fine when the car was sitting, but when I started driving the signal would drop and the bose system would display "no signal". It pretty much stays that way until I am stopped for a minute or two. I have been looking through threads and DIY's and can't seem to locate anything. I am also in an area with not alot of trees.

All I received in the box was the receiver, antenna, various tapes/foams, zip ties ect. Doesn't this unit need to be grounded? I also looked and saw someones pictures with some sort of converter hooked up, and I also don't have that. Only thing plugged into the receiver is antenna and pre-wired plug from factory.

Can anyone suggest some ideas for me to try?

Last edited by G35Sask; 04-09-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is the antenna secured to the rear deck or is it just flopping around back there? Try moving it closer to the rear window, i put mine underneath the rear deck cover and it works fine for me.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Some older tuner boxes have two antenna plugs that are square with color coded connector pins - one sat and one terrestrial - while the newer tuners only have one antenna round plug. Newer antennas only have one round plug and the other box that you saw is commonly called a splitter. It splits the single round antenna plug into two square plugs. If your box has two square plugs, make sure you color match them.

Where is your antenna placed?

Old 04-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Ok somebody is deleting replies in this thread, I am not sure why.

Anyway, the antenna is just resting on the rear deck at the moment. It is not secured at the moment, but it does not flop around. I barely have to move the car and the radio cuts out and goes no signal. I know for a fact I don't have a ground wire run to it unless it does it through the harness.. I am about to go install one to see if it changes things. Also, by your description, I have the newer single plug antenna unit. Just looking for suggestions.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Are you talking about grounding the antenna or the tuner? Sometimes, sat antennas work better with some metal under them. Mine is under the rear window on a round 8 inch metal disc.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Grounding the tuner was what I was talking about. I never thought of putting metal plate under the antenna, but to be honest a flying chunk of metal in the case of an accident doesn't really excite me. I am guessing you have some way of securing it down? I bit the bullet and installed the antenna outside the car and at the very bottom of the window in the center of the glass. I don't like it outside at all, but it seems to work perfect now.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:44 AM
My metal disc is velcroed to the reat deck carpet. My GPS antenna is also mounted on it.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Hey good idea. Does the metal work better with different types? I have a welder friend that can use different kinds of metals including stainless. What thickness do I want also? How did you secure the antenna to the metal disc?

Old 04-13-2008, 09:49 AM
I found an 8 inch round galvanized metal disc used as a butterfly valve for ductwork. It's where the metal ducting is located in the store. It had one pin on each side that were bradded onto it. I drilled them out and painted it flat black. The antennas have magnetic bases.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:55 AM
I was thinking of doing the same thing, do you think it will work just as good with the metal plate placed under the carpet on the rear deck?

Old 04-13-2008, 01:39 PM
^ It will probably work fine if you can get the metal plate close to wgere the window meets the rear shelf.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Your problem is probably due to the antenna that is part of the glass or possible the defroster veins.

Are you totally sold on having the antenna inside the car? I connected mine to the trunk and snaked the wire under the carpet no prob.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Gilley
^ It will probably work fine if you can get the metal plate close to wgere the window meets the rear shelf.
I don't suppose you could post a photo of your antenna/disc setup? I bought a chunk of galvanized steel (butterfly valve) from the furnace section of a home hardware store. I mounted the antenna on it and it seems to respond better however I still drop signal every 30 seconds to a minute with no trees or anything in the area. I think its either the micro antenna that came with it being too small or the placement. I would like to see what yours looks like if possible.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by mikehill33
Your problem is probably due to the antenna that is part of the glass or possible the defroster veins.

Are you totally sold on having the antenna inside the car? I connected mine to the trunk and snaked the wire under the carpet no prob.
I like the antenna inside to keep kids from messing with it. Also, for the 2 days i had it glued to the glass, the warm water knocked it off when I washed it. I don't want it on my paint anywhere either.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:06 PM
I mounted my antenna on the child seat bracket on the driver's side of the rear deck. I took off the plastic clip that covers the bracket and let the antenna stick to the metal bracket (your antenna should be magnetic). I usually get a full signal (I have a Sporster 5).

Perhaps you could try that?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sirius Satellite help!!