Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

radio reception comes in and out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2008 | 06:18 PM
|
radio reception comes in and out

like my antanne is messed up or something

I guess if the reception is weak or fuzzy it mutes the station ???

this is the OEM non Bose in dash CD player / radio

is this common and or fixable ?

Old 05-10-2008 | 11:37 PM
I've had the same problems on my '06 Coupe with the AM section, and have been searching for answers. Lots of static which seems to build over time - signal fades into background - can't hear at full volume - then I hit a bump and the whole thing comes alive for a split second.

I've had the car back to the dealer 3X. 1) Radio swap 2) Antenna amplifier swap 3) Radio swap - just last week.

The OEM non Bose radio, well, sucks, but it can't be the radio unless they're ALL like that. Seems incomprehensible. I also notice the radio signal is sensitive to the car's direction. Damned non-functioning asthetically pleasing in-window antennas these days - I think they're to blame but the dealer isn't buying it despite the abhorrent service record.

Actually thinking of selling the car for a GTI - one thing VW gets right is their radios - the latest GTI has two, count 'em, two antennas. I could care less about Navi, XM, DVD, iPod. Just want a simple radio with a functioning AM/FM tuner, and will play CDs. Old school is becoming elusive.

If anyone has help to offer, I'm all ears.

Old 11-12-2008 | 05:26 PM
well i'm in a similar situation...

i just got my car back last week after replacing a rear quarter panel. i've never had problems with my radio until the day i picked it up. the static is on and off constantly throughout the FM channels. i took it to the dealer and they saw that the satellite wiring was unplugged inside the car near the rear quarter that was being fixed. they plugged it back in...

i thought this would solve the problem, but it doesn't make a difference. the static is still on and off. i also just found out that my car has an aftermarket antenna. the previous owner bought satellite in the package, but i'm really confused as to why he would have an aftermarket antenna?

i don't even know where to go with this one. the dealer didn't fix it and i don't want to waste my time with them unless i have some good options. anybody please? is there anything else, such as plugs or connections i can check. i'm really not into audio that much so i need a little guidance. the plan was to keep it stock, but that even failed.

and this is on an 06 6mt coupe with 16k miles w/bose and sat. radio (even though i don't pay for it) which i'm also confused about?