Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

aftermarket headunit question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket headunit question

is it possible to install this in lets say the glove box? or somewhere else, i really dont wannt take apart my factory headunit, i like the stock look, and i dont really want to spend $400 for the dash kit...

reason is because i want to keep the stock look, and have my aftermarket mounted somewhere hidden... will this work? will my a/c still function? i dont mind if the stock radio doesnt work, i just want my aftermarket headunit to function and still have a/c this way...

does anyone know?

Old 04-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: aftermarket headunit question

euro,

you can mount your aftermarket deck anywhere you can find room, run RCAs, use a wire harness to tap into the power/ground/powered antenna wire complex from the back of the stock deck and it should work.

Believe me, I wanted to keep stock look too but I couldn't find an adequate space to put a 6 7/8" deep deck. Ok, lets run through it....

1. Stock navi cubby is too shallow to mount deck, you have to cut the cubby open in the rear and the deck will be mounted at an angulation not advised by your deck manufacter. g35mt mounted his FACEPLATE in the stock navi cubby area with a custom ribbon cable from faceplate to HU mounted in one of the gloveboxes.

2. Upper glovebox (assuming your don't have stock navi). Good spot only if if wasn't so again shallow. You might be able to do some cutting of of the box plastic and shove a deck in there but with RCAs, wire harness, antenna adapters, its pretty T I G H T. I don't think it would fit honestly and my car audio install crew who measured the space agreed with me.

3. Lower glovebox. Not an option, too small.

4. Sunglass holder by the map light. WAAAAYYYY tooooo small. j/k. It can't even hold a normal pair of shades anyway. Maybe it was meant for old foggie reading glasses???lol

One option you could investigate is to see if someone can fabricate a new dash using fiberglass or something. There is another person on this forum who has done it. I think more expensive than v35 dash parts though. And you still need the v35 ACC too which will run $220

I would recommend bite the bullet and shell out the ~$400. You already spend ~$38K for the car, why not another $400? Think of it as an initiation fee. lol

Hope this helps you.....