Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Good Bluetooth Options (Phone & MP3)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Bluetooth Options (Phone & MP3)

As the debate continues between best G to get, the brembo option can always be added and some mods can be added to make up the difference in power. Also, many would argue its better to have older style engine which has less issues (oil consumption). As the debate for best year G continues, I see one option that has not been discussed in detail with an alternative.

BLUETOOTH

For those with the earlier G's that dont have bluetooth option but decided to go aftermarket, what have you guys been happy with? I would want bluetooth ability that lets me talk on the phone through my car speakers and also play my Mp3 player (currently phone - mogul 6800) through bluetooth as well. What bluetooth adapters/devices are being used by G members that have given great results?

Also, many complain about the quality of standard bluetooth on the newer G's so this could be a great alternative for those that arent happy with their current bluetooth abilities.

Thanks for any info/feedback as I continue my search for my 'perfect' G.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:18 PM
After searching, I realized a few things:

- Music not recommended over bluetooth, data transfer not wide enough so it will sound like sh*T.
- Parrot system seems to work very well
- ** Still looking for optimal location for microphone (card holder and sunvisor area most recommended)
- many are unhappy with their bluetooth on 05+ models so that will NOT be a selling point for me.
- Some aftermarket head units have the abilities i am looking for but still researching reviews on music sound quality from bluetooth/radio frequency.

Questions:
- more feedback on location of mic?
- any recommended head units that work well with bluetooth on phone calls AND have some type of ipod like interface where I can play music through my phone through an auxillary connection but will allow me to search music on head unit even though its not an ipod?

Old 05-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Nin
I hate the mic on my car. I'll definitely be modding it sometime in the near future because i LOVE bluetooth but i hate how you can't hear ****. I'd rather have one of those extremely gay ear pieces than use the oem setup because people on the other end can't hear a thing i'm saying

Old 05-05-2008, 09:48 PM
I have an 03 coupe and I bought the Parrot CK3000. I installed the BT unit under the center console. This centralizes the unit and I didn't feel like trying to find extensions to the mic and control cables. I mounted the controller in the ashtray so when I need to adjust the volume I flip it open. Kinda cool. I put my mic up on the card holder on my side. That was an easy install. Just take the pillar off and run the mic cord up through and out. No drilling. Just use the sticky tape in th BT kit. You can swivel the mic for better positioning. Being that the G naturally pics up alot of road noise people sometimes complain...my girlfriend. She doesn't matter though.

Anyways...

I have an aftermarket HU (Eclipse AVN5435) and two JL amps (500/1 & 300/4). I had to run the BT unit input from the output on the amps and out put going to the speakers. It was a bit of a hassle and the only issue I have is that I am using the Sub output and on the HU the bass still thumps when the BT mutes the music. When the music goes silent that's when I press the mute button on the HU. The pros with this is that it can be voice activated. In the initial setup you set up a "magic word". Mine is "telephone"...how org. This activates the voice activation on the BT unit to the phone. I'll be driving down the road and without taking my hands off of the steering wheel i'll say "Telephone" and the BT unit activates on its own. I like that feature. You say who to call and it connects you. I have a Blackberry 8300 Curve and it has the voice activated calling so this makes thing easier.

All in all it's a pretty good unit but you have to watch what you say in a conversation with a passenger because your music is muted.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:28 AM
I have been using a Parrot 3100 for a couple of years now. The system works great and sounds better then all the factory systems I have used so far. Mutes the stereo and calls come through both from speakers. One thing I found is the mic needs to be away from ac vents and the windows. Picks up wind noise otherwise. Center mounted and up high works the best for all the bluetooth units I have installed. A sock from a ear bud slid over the mic also helps make the call quality on the other side sound better.
I have never had a problem with pairing any phone with the unit. I use a HTC Touch right now and call quality is as good as bluetooth is going to get. All your contacts pull up in the display unit as well so you can leave the phone in your pocket to make calls.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Im also using the Parrot kit and love it. I went a step further and bought a great plug and play aftermarket wire harness. Then got the ipod hard wired intergration kit. Total cost was around 450.00. Parrot is the best imo and are now in 2 DD HU's Eclipce and Kenwood I believe. Im debating selling both along with my factory Bose radio to fund my new system.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:41 PM
RXM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also agree with the other members that the Parrot kit is the best option if you don't want to replace your HU. I bought the MK6100 and I love the thing. If you decide to go with the MK6100, make sure you get the upgraded kit that includes an external mic.

Check out my link to my DIY: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/187082-diy-05-06-sedan-hu-removal-parrot-mk6100-installation.html