Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Need a speaker recommendation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 12:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a speaker recommendation

Hey guys

I have the stock, non-Bose, audio in my G. I thought that upgrading the speakers only will yield a sizeable difference in quality.

Can you guys please make a recommendation,a cost effective one? I know the focal (separates) are nice (if not the best). But I need a cheaper alternative. I am not an all-out audiophile and will DEFINTIELY not be a able to tell the difference b/w the VERY BEST, and one that is a notch down in quality but still VERY GOOD.

What about the clarion SRS1625 . Seem to be the top end unit.

I need something of stock size. Something that will fit right in. What are the sizes for front and rear? Also, do they come with harnesses on the speaker end, or do the wires need to be cut/spliced?

Thanks so much guys

Gurgen

Old 04-12-2004, 01:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Need a speaker recommendation

Will you be running an amp or use the stock deck power? I would get an amp as well as speakers if you want to be happy. I don't think you'll hear that much of a difference if you're running aftermarket speakers with the stock deck. How much are you willing to spend?

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite
AIM= bkchang79

Old 04-12-2004, 02:04 AM

I wanted to just plug in new speakers for now. You are saying the difference waon't be that big? I would love to jsut replace the speakers for under 300 (all four). Don't wanna spend too much money. I am not a big audiophile - just want slightly decent audio that still leaves rom for imporvement with an AMP down the line.Bruce, do you know the speaker sizes for front/rear? It would be nice if the tweaters were builton top of the speakers (midrange mains I guess), so I can just unsrew the old, and just screw the new ones back in.

G

Old 04-12-2004, 02:42 AM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't want to spend money on a new amp, I wouldn't change out the speakers. IMO, you won't notice a difference in the sound quality between stock and new speakers. It MAY sound even worse b/c of potential ohm difference (stock 2ohm vs. aftermarket speakers 4ohm).

If you're looking for a cheap but pretty decent upgrade, just get a good set of tweets for ~$100 and add a $0.99 RadioShack 10uF capacitor before the tweet to replace the stock tweet in the front separates.

Do a search for tweet upgrades and DIY in this AUdio/Video/Sat/NAv forum and you'll find a bunch of posts on this.

Good luck!

Old 04-12-2004, 05:18 AM

That's good advice. Thank you. Any recommendation on which tweats to get.

Gurgen

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gurgenpb on 04/12/04 02:19 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 04-12-2004, 01:54 PM

I'd save up the money until you have enough for a complete install of speakers, amps, dynamat, etc. Not worth tearing up your car multiple times. Other than that I would disagree about not noticing SQ since you are a non-audiophile. Go visit some audio shops and demo different brands and the different level models. You should notice differences and be able to tell which components sound better. Make sure to select a HU that you might buy or in your price range (not the best one) and turn off all the EQ enhancements.

Usually the higher powered speakers will be able to deliver better sound and clarity. They will be constructed with sturdier materials and have better heat dissipating properties and have more powerful drivers (magnets). To each his own, so the best way is to actually listen to them, but it's also nice to ask and get recommendations from forum members so you can build a list of speakers you want to demo.

I would concur with the above post and think about getting the aftermarket amps to drive aftermarket speakers. Better performance speakers will want more power and usually more power equals better sound. Replacing the HU with a better one can increase sound quality with higher voltage outputs, sound processors, DACs, etc. There isn't a magic bullet at increasing sound quality, but they are all interdependent upon each other and usually the gained results will be limited by the weakest component in your stereo system. Whether that be the HU, speakers, wires, etc. is another question.

Don't forget to sound deaden your car in the appropriate places to eliminate rattling, noise cancelling, uneven dispersion, etc.

Good luck!

<font color=red>Shibal G-Thang</font color=red>
<font color=blue>'04 TB 6MT Graphite: Aero Pkg, Premium</font color=blue>

Old 04-12-2004, 02:31 PM

That a GREAT response. Thanks a lot.

I understand everything well, I will probably jus thold off and get the entire thing later. One question, which are the 'appropriate' places to dynamat? I have got some rattles now from the deack under the rear windshield, doors, dash, and that's just from the exhast/RT cats combo.

Gurgen

Old 04-12-2004, 03:41 PM

Take a look at Gurgen's ride, I don't think he's worried about sound deadening. What are you trying to accomplish with your sound? Do you want more bass? Are any of the songs missing instruments you normally hear in a standard home system? Since you did all the exhaust upgrades and the new turbo coming, I'd say leave your stereo alone and just listen to the sound your BOV.

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite
AIM= bkchang79

Old 04-13-2004, 12:01 PM

I personally think just replacing the front componants will make a big difference. thezeb.com has CDT CL-61's on sale for $150 You'll definitly notice highs that were missing in the stock system with these. If your not an audiophile, than this simple upgrade may be just the ticket. Don't be led astray by those who think you need $1000 worth of equiptment for anything to sound good. Try it, and see if it's enough for you. You can always add as you go. Let us know what you do.

Old 04-13-2004, 12:13 PM

Good point, rcanedo and Bruce

I am trying to wake up the highs. I can't really hear any now. THere is just some midrange and very little highs. Again, I am NOT an audiophile, and just want to have clearer sound, mids and highs, not earth-shattering base. Although the base would make the music sound fuller, I would rather have some really nice highs before I spend the money on base speakers for the rear deck (where te stock Bose base speakers go). that's what I would love to do. Maybe I should just go out and buy the rear deck (under the rear windshield) for the Bose-equipeed model and put in the speakers. Wouldn't that be better.

Bruce, the BOV is sure nice. But, I can't wait anymore, the freakign kit is STILL on back order. I just don't want to go the greddy route - don't like their components. Can't wait for my PE.

Rcanedo, CDT Cl-61's - what are these. Decent speakers? I have got a 100 gift cert to the good guys, anything more mainstream but good you can sugget. You are right, I'd rather just do speakers now and add an amp later if I desire.

Gurgen

Old 04-13-2004, 12:39 PM

Boston Acoustics, Infinity Reference sound good driven off a Head Unit. Definitly much more definition in the highs than the stock speakers. Check out what Good Guys have, and give them a listen. The ears will tell you what you like. Might as well use the gift certificate!

I wouldn't bother with the Bose rear deck. In fact, I'm removing the 6X9 Bose subs in the rear deck, so I can have bass coming into the cabin from my Elemental Designs 12" sub and enclosure. I was going to have it built into the floor of the trunk, in the spare wheel well, but not sure I want to do that now. I'll just have a box back there I can unplugg and remove. By the way, big sale on subs at eD right now! can pick up a 12" Kx for $75. These subs are better than Infinity or Polks.

Maybe a good starting point might be, how much are you willing to spend to upgrade it?

Check out my equiptment waiting for install here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/rickneuropa

Old 04-13-2004, 02:35 PM

a few hundred dollars, say up to 500 max. Is this sub just kind of plug in with crossovers built in (wher you run your speaker wires from the sub box?). Sorry I don't know much baout the audio. The $75 Kx sub sounds good if I do not need to add a sub amplifier. eD - is that an online store? Can I but this sub at good Guys or smth

THanks alot rcanedo. Appreciate your help on this

Gurgen

Old 04-13-2004, 03:02 PM

alpine's components (not sure what model) is on sale at GOOD GUYS for 199! if you trust good guy's installer, they do carries decent brands like JL, BOSTON, most of time they will make a deal with whole package.

any decent sub would need POWER, dont think it will work too well with stock bose's amp, you might want to get an amp for the sub, but that will involves gettin an LOC. if you just want to have some decent sounding sounds, change out the stock spearks will be enough, i see you have an AVIC-80!, why not spend lil more on the sounds? you want to have an good system to go with your speed mods...s.w.

03 coupe 5AT DG/G premium,performance

Old 04-13-2004, 03:16 PM

I'm afraid not, You will need an enclosure, and amp to drive the sub. You'd probably like the Infinity Basslink, if your looking for an all in one solution for Bass. It puts out 200 watts RMS with a 10 inch sub. Sounds very clean, and plenty of bass for non bassheads. Can be picked up for around $200 So if you went with that, and the CDT CL-61's for the front, you'd be set for around 350-400. As long as the gains on the sub is set to not overpower the fronts, it should sound very good! Much better than the stock. But again, that's my opinion, you really need to hear them to make a decision for yourself. Everyone will have their own opinion, but as long as you do your homework, (go to carreview.com, soundillusion forums and such) pick reputable brands, and use your ears, you'll be happy.

Old 04-13-2004, 03:28 PM

With all the outstanding performance mods being meticulously researched and put into the car, why skimp on the sound? Might as well make a decent effort to improve upon the Blose system that comes with the car. I would recommend the following:

-Remove the stock 6x9s
-Upgrade the front components
-You can keep the stock HU, but budget permitting, you can probably find better aftermarket HUs, but at cost due to the DIN kit that needs to be bought
-Install a sub in the trunk. You can go with an Infinity Basslink like some of the other forum members or go with a sealed box unit or do a custom job.
-If possible, remove the stock amp and replace with an aftermarket. Maybe a 4 channel for the front/rear and a single channel for the sub (scratched if going with Basslink)
-As for sound deadening, if you are experiencing rattling now with the mods you have on, I would look into deadening the rear wheel wells, rear deck area, and perhaps trunk floor and trunk lid to reduce vibration and rattling. I'd say the rear wheel wells and the rear deck would be the primary sources of your rattling. If you go with decent components up front, deadening the doors is another option.

Good Luck!

<font color=red>Shibal G-Thang</font color=red>
<font color=blue>'04 TB 6MT Graphite: Aero Pkg, Premium</font color=blue>

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need a speaker recommendation