Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

INSTALLED All new Kenwood DNX8120 *PIX*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I order from JapanParts.com

what color do I need to ask for to get Titanium? Ecru? Silver? I have the trim with the tan leather... just bought a DDX-6019 off ebay.

Last edited by Russellclaude; 06-18-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:12 PM
want!!!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:22 PM
dnx8120 installed in 2004 g35 coupe steering control sat radio XM.

Installed DNX 8120 in 2004 coupe.

Used existing Bose amplifier via crutchfield (#70-7551) $19.99 nissan integration harness.
Note: The G35 antenna connection is the ground for the unit not the wire indicating ground on cable!

Steering wheel control (PAC SWIJACK) $69 works but took me an hour to learn and go through the programming. I selected volume up and down, Source change, attenuation (mute) and station up and down from the steering column. Slight delay in commands but worth it.

Installed GXM-30 XM sat radio/traffic antenna/unit $200. Subscribed to sat radio only with it. Kept unit inside car right windshield (afraid it will get stolen if mounted outside) reception is a bit spotty on back roads, clear on highway need to change it to center or outside to improve. The interface on the screen is great, the volume is a bit lower then other inputs such as USB and CD but is ok. Wonder if there was a cheaper way to go about this and keep the screen controls.

Purchased Metra double din kit with AC control (99-7604) $159. Mechanical assembly was good, ac control buttons are a bit cheap looking (grey and soft plastic) and the LED's flicker a bit. Would suggest the grubbs kit (997605) $259 for a better look. Will keep the Metra kit though.

USB port works good with 2gB stick for quickie MP3 changes. DVD read of MP3's is good as well. Interfaces with Zen vision M unit but won't play most fo the songs. Haven't tried Ipod yet.

Seeking...
USB hard drive <500mA that works.
Cheaper Xm alternative experiences.
HD radio tuner cheap with controls.

~In Donnie Darko he had to die to close the tangental universe, If he's not alive in the continuing universe he can't send the engine back in time and the tangental universe is closed. The engine remains as a fragment from a closed tangental universe.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:31 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
nice

Old 06-27-2008, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE=gotvolts23]Installed DNX 8120 in 2004 coupe.

Used existing Bose amplifier via crutchfield (#70-7551) $19.99 nissan integration harness.
Note: The G35 antenna connection is the ground for the unit not the wire indicating ground on cable!

Could you go into a little more detail about this? I have the Kenwood 8019 installed in my G35 and the radio reception is terrible. FM is marginal at best but AM is non-existant. I like to listen to some sports talk in the mornings but cant anymore because the reception is so bad.
Any help on how you connected your antenna will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Blayne

Old 06-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by aenokea

Could you go into a little more detail about this? I have the Kenwood 8019 installed in my G35 and the radio reception is terrible. FM is marginal at best but AM is non-existant. I like to listen to some sports talk in the mornings but cant anymore because the reception is so bad.
Any help on how you connected your antenna will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Blayne
Did you connect the power antenna lead fron the Kenwood HU? Even though there is no power antenna in the G35, there is an antenna amplifier that must be turned on via the power antenna lead.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:38 AM
Originally Posted by Gilley
Did you connect the power antenna lead fron the Kenwood HU? Even though there is no power antenna in the G35, there is an antenna amplifier that must be turned on via the power antenna lead.
The power antenna lead is connected. I bypassed the stock Bose amplifier and I'm using the deck to power the speakers. Do you think the stock amp needs to be powered for the antenna to function properly? The amp is still physically there so it wouldnt be too much trouble to power it up. I just didnt want to turn something on that wasnt being used.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:21 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
take some pix of the garmin on

Old 06-28-2008, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by aenokea
The power antenna lead is connected. I bypassed the stock Bose amplifier and I'm using the deck to power the speakers. Do you think the stock amp needs to be powered for the antenna to function properly? The amp is still physically there so it wouldnt be too much trouble to power it up. I just didnt want to turn something on that wasnt being used.
This might seem like a dumb question, but did you use an antenna adapter to connect the antenna?

Old 06-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
does this headunit have a dual-dvd drive? one for the navigation dvd and the other for regular cd/dvd input?

Old 06-28-2008, 11:04 PM
No. The Kenwood navigation is built in. Some older models have a plug in memory based unit.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Gilley
No. The Kenwood navigation is built in. Some older models have a plug in memory based unit.
so no need for a dvd for navigation? does it have an HDD for music?

Old 06-29-2008, 05:42 PM
I don't know. Check out the specs at www.crutchfield.com or www.kenwoodusa.com.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by gotvolts23
Installed GXM-30 XM sat radio/traffic antenna/unit $200. Subscribed to sat radio only with it. Kept unit inside car right windshield (afraid it will get stolen if mounted outside) reception is a bit spotty on back roads, clear on highway need to change it to center or outside to improve. The interface on the screen is great, the volume is a bit lower then other inputs such as USB and CD but is ok. Wonder if there was a cheaper way to go about this and keep the screen controls.
Any reason you went with the GXM-30 if you don't want the traffic and weather options? Doesn't the XM kit come with an antenna?

Old 07-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Tan JDM Double Din Finisher?

I'm getting my DNX8120 installed now (I'm waiting for the installers as I type). For those that have this unit as well, where did you put the microphone and satellite ant. at?

Also, I got the JDM double din finisher, however I have the tan interior and the sides of the JDM finisher (next to the air vents) is dark grey???? Is there a JDM finisher that matches my current interior?? I've searched and I can find one anywhere?

I'm excited to get this unit setup. For those that use the PAC steering wheel control unit with the DNX8120, make sure and take note that the steering wheel connector on the unit (which is yellow/blue striped) must be SPLICED with the yellow/blue striped wire coming off the PAC steering wheel control and you'll discard the odd-looking connector that was on the Kenwood wire. There is no place to plug in the supplied plug off the PAC unit. This took us a call to Crutchfield to find out since that isn't stated anywhere.

Thanks!
Chad

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: INSTALLED All new Kenwood DNX8120 *PIX*