Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

How long should interconnects be for installation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How long should interconnects be for installation?

I'm trying to install a sub amp in my car and I am using the stock head unit. I wanted to know how long should the interconnects be to reach from the front to the back of my sedan. Should I get 12', 18', or 25' interconnects? Thanks guys, your input is much appreciated.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
first thing, and other please correct me if I am incorrect, if you use the stock HU, you will be splicing wires in the harness that is located in the trunk to connect your RCAs to your sub amp in the trunk via a LOC. The stock HU does not have a sub out RCA interconnect.

In this case, you would not need more than a 3-6' interconnect depending on where you place your amp.

If you are planning on eventually doing a DD conversion and swapping out the stock HU for an aftermarket HU, you will need minimum 12' RCA interconnects. If you are running RCAs for an amp for a sub from the front dash, you should also run RCAs for additional amps that you would use in the event you decide to swap out your stock speakers (which would actually be the most bang for your buck as the stock Nissan speakers suck and are really the limiting factor in our stock system). That way you don't have to tear apart your interior again.

The length of the RCA from the front dash to the trunk is dependent on the path you choose to run the RCA. Most people will run the RCAs from the front dash, under the steering wheel, along the driver side door sill, under or along the back seat and into the trunk.

There are some that have run the RCAs from the front dash down the center of the car under the carpet, under the backseat and into the trunk. This requires you to remove the front seats, lift the carpet and remove the backseats. Shorter RCAs could be used in the case but requires more work.

Most people will run the RCAs down the driver side and run the amp power wires down the passenger side down the passenger doorsill. To minimize alternator whine, you want to distance the RCAs and power wires as far as possible. By running the RCAs down the driver side and the amp power wires down the passenger side, you can accomplish this.

The other reason why people run the amp power wires down the passenger side is because it is the most direct path to the car's battery since the rubber grommet that gives access to the engine bay from the interior of the car is in the passenger foot well.

I personally used StreetWires ZeroNoise Interconnects and used 12' RCAs. Whats nice is there are 2- and 4-channel interconnects which would minimize how many interconnects you would have to run.

Hope this answers your questions.....

doc

Old 05-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
For a sedan, you might want to consider 18' of RCAs. But invest in good Interconnects, don't settle for RadioShack RCAs. You might end up with some increased interference or alternator whine.

I would just run some string from the front of your dash to your trunk and get a rough estimate of the length you would need.

Good luck!
doc

Old 05-17-2008, 12:39 PM
thanks for the in-depth reply doc. I plan on keeping my stock head unit since I have the 2nd gen sedan and I'm not sure if they make kits yet for the car.

I plan on buying JL audio interconnects and will probably go with the 18' RCA's like you said. I feel the stock component speakers are fine for my liking so I'll just go with a 2 channel. Thanks a bunch doc, you really helped me out here.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you planning on tapping into the stock HU in the dash? Document your work and do an installation. I have not seen one for an 07-08 sedan.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Gilley, yes, I am planning on tapping into the stock head unit. However, I plan on taking it a third party to do all the work. I wonder if they'll let me bug them with a digital camera while they're working on my car...if they permit, i'll try and take some pics of the install.