Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Metra DD kit user please come in!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metra DD kit user please come in!

hey guys i have a real good deal lined up on the metra kit but not sure how good this iteam is. could the user chime in about the color,bottons, finish ect also could you post up installed photos.

also do the lights match up at night? someone told me they didn't?
thanks
-john

Old 05-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't have the Metra kit but I know some people who do and I must say that the difference is night and day between the Metra kit and the OEM JDM kit. The Metra kit seems to really take away from the G's integrity making it look cheap. Save the extra money up and get the JDM one. You won't regret it.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
you wont regret it OMAIIGAAA

Old 05-27-2008, 10:53 AM
when i was buying my kit i researched both, but at the end i bought the JDM DD kit. good thing about the Metra is you do not need to solder the wires for your dual climate control, but the buttons ugly. i wanted to retain the stock look and feel which is why i went with JDM. besides you can't go wrong with JDM . im sure if you search you can find pics and info

Old 05-27-2008, 01:06 PM
has anyone bought the metra kit and changed out the buttons with the buttons from the stock radio?

Old 05-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by D-tuned
has anyone bought the metra kit and changed out the buttons with the buttons from the stock radio?
still havn't seen any good installed photos or input from a owner of the kit.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Former Metra DD Kit owner

Benwaballs,

Check out my postings on the thread "2004 G35x Sedan Double DIN Inquiries...And Yeah, I Searched" - https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...ferrerid=67105

To summarize, a local *reputable* audio shop installed the Metra DD kit for my 04 coupe and I had nothing but problems with it. After all the turmoil this "reputable" audio shop put me through, I decided to cut my losses and went to another audio shop. The other shop was cool as hell and I truly regret not going to them first. Today they swapped out the Metra DD Kit for a JDM DD Kit I purchased from Tony @ Riverside Infiniti. Not only did they give me a good price on the swap ($89), but they blew me away with how well they installed the kit .

I wish I took pictures of the Metra Kit installed, but check out the JDM kit. Trust me, the pics don't do the installation justice.

Attached Thumbnails Metra DD kit user please come in!-avic-d3-w-jdm1.jpg   Metra DD kit user please come in!-avic-d3-w-jdm2.jpg  
Old 05-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just did the Metra kit (self installed) as the JDM kit is ridiculously expensive to bring into Canada. As it is, the Metra kit is about $400 here, but I got it from an Ebay retailer for a good price. The Metra kit is used by most if not all the local installers that I checked with.

The colour was actually a good match for the 'titanium' in a buddy's car, so not a big issue there.

I don't mind the soft touch buttons either (which light up BTW). The top rubs a hair with the open cubby lid which is a bit irritating, but can probably be shaved down 1/32". Haven't heard that this was an issue with anyone else.

I had to take apart my dash again to fix the Defrost light which wouldn't go out an found that a pin in wiring harness was bent over. This was the only time I truly regretted getting the Metra, but I should probably have checked it the plug and everything first before putting everything back together as it could have been a problem with any wiring harness however. Once I straightened it and re-attached, everything worked great.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the Metra and probably wouldn't pay double for the JDM.

Attached Thumbnails Metra DD kit user please come in!-driver-s-view.jpg  
Old 05-27-2008, 09:27 PM
thanks guys after looking at the pics i think i am going to have to go w/ the jdm kit.
thanks everyone for the help

Old 05-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by Gordgee
I just did the Metra kit (self installed) as the JDM kit is ridiculously expensive to bring into Canada. As it is, the Metra kit is about $400 here, but I got it from an Ebay retailer for a good price. The Metra kit is used by most if not all the local installers that I checked with.

The colour was actually a good match for the 'titanium' in a buddy's car, so not a big issue there.

I don't mind the soft touch buttons either (which light up BTW). The top rubs a hair with the open cubby lid which is a bit irritating, but can probably be shaved down 1/32". Haven't heard that this was an issue with anyone else.

I had to take apart my dash again to fix the Defrost light which wouldn't go out an found that a pin in wiring harness was bent over. This was the only time I truly regretted getting the Metra, but I should probably have checked it the plug and everything first before putting everything back together as it could have been a problem with any wiring harness however. Once I straightened it and re-attached, everything worked great.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the Metra and probably wouldn't pay double for the JDM.
WOW..that is expensive for the Metra kit. i live in Canada also, but i paid 380 for my JDM DD kit from Grubbs.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by theGster
WOW..that is expensive for the Metra kit. i live in Canada also, but i paid 380 for my JDM DD kit from Grubbs.
Wholesale on the Metra is $340 in Canada! The local installers charge $400 retail.

I got mine for $210 USD including shipping from a retailer on Ebay. Was yours $380 including shipping? Any additional cost once it got to you?

Old 05-28-2008, 06:43 PM
380 shipped, but had to pay a $50 duty. $210 though...good find

Old 05-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator
As I said, not sure if double would have been worth it to me. $14 charge from the post office when it got here.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Gordgee
Wholesale on the Metra is $340 in Canada! The local installers charge $400 retail.

I got mine for $210 USD including shipping from a retailer on Ebay. Was yours $380 including shipping? Any additional cost once it got to you?
I got the Metra from the Future Shop for $285 when I bought the Pioneer unit

Old 06-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Here's my self install pictures with the Metra DD kit and the Pioneer D3 in our 03 sedan. I added the IPod adapter cable, Bluetooth and the Pac Swi steering wheel adapter. I was able to do the install and paint the Metra DD kit (willow match) using the info I got out of the forum here and was very pleased with the outcome. A big Thank You, I couldn't have done it with out the info I got out of this forum! I mounted the Mic for the Bluetooth right above the clock and everything works as it should. The hardest part was programming the Pac SWi steering wheel adapter. Not bad for under a thou and a 63 year old, heh!

Attached Thumbnails Metra DD kit user please come in!-mvc-002s.jpg   Metra DD kit user please come in!-mvc-003s.jpg   Metra DD kit user please come in!-mvc-005s.jpg  

Last edited by Green G; 06-05-2008 at 08:18 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Metra DD kit user please come in!