Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Bose or No Bose?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Bose or No Bose?

I did a search here and couldn't find an answer that tailored my question. I haven't bought the vehicle yet but I'm looking into getting either an '05 or '06 G35 sedan and I'm not sure whether or not go get the Bose package.

Down the line I plan to install a 10" sub, a couple PDX amps, Zapco front stage, and use Alpine's factory integration unit which allows me to do time alignment, eq, crossover points, etc. I'm wondering if I get a vehicle with the Bose, or even without, will I run into any issues or hassles. Basically, is there a difference of having the Bose sound package or not, when it comes to upgrading the sound system?

Old 06-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
i honestly think BOSE is garbage from 03 to 06 sedans, the 2nd gen sedan has a better system if you get 05/06 sedan i would change everything i can't believe the car was worth that much and they didn't put a nice sound system into the car.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
BOSE sucks worse than a Catholic Church alter boy...

I hated mine... Within the first week I blew a woofer, then it was a quarter panel speaker, then the door speaker.. The are junk, and I would recommend anyone to stay away from BOSE. I don't know if it would be any easier to do aftermarket speakers with or without BOSE but I just htought they were junk.

After a ton of Dynamat and some Infinity Kappa speakers with a Boston Amp and Boston Pro 10 I loved the stereo. Even when the clerion OEM head unit broke. twice.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I can think of a good reason to get a vehicle with the Bose system already installed especially if you intend to keep the Bose HU. All of the audio wires are already routed into the trunk. This makes it easier to access the signal and do what you want with it without having to remove the HU.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the input. Reason is, some vehicles I am looking at have the Bose package and I'm wondering if the install would be any more difficult. I stick with standard audio for some time, because I'll be replacing it with aftermarket and definitely not Bose. Deadening will be a must, for me, as I did with my Accord before it got totaled.

As a suggestion, if anyone wants to minimize road noise you can get liquid deadener, I used Second Skin Spectrum and paint it on the wheel well and inside of the fender. Doing a few layers of that and topping it off with a layer or two of spectrum sludge made a huge difference in my Accord. Sounded like a luxury car and just as quiet as my mom's 5 series. I can't imagine what it would do on a vehicle that is already quiet. It does add some weight, but it costs no more than $150 to do and that's going all out (for the wheel wells). Took me a few hours to do but very worth it and water proof.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Gilley
I can think of a good reason to get a vehicle with the Bose system already installed especially if you intend to keep the Bose HU. All of the audio wires are already routed into the trunk. This makes it easier to access the signal and do what you want with it without having to remove the HU.
So with standard stereo wires would need to be ran to the rear? I'd be taking out the 8" subwoofer and disconnecting the rear speakers when I put in my aftermarket stuff.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
With the non-Bose HU, you would have to get the audio signal at either the speakers or behind the HU.

The non-Bose cars do not have an 8 inch sub. Only the Bose systems do.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's up?

Hope the insurance company gave you what your accord is worth

Bose system you can tap the signal in the rear, non bose like my G, needs to have wires ran to the amps in the back.

Check your PM box!

Old 06-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by SR20DET510
What's up?

Hope the insurance company gave you what your accord is worth

Bose system you can tap the signal in the rear, non bose like my G, needs to have wires ran to the amps in the back.

Check your PM box!
Thanks for the PM and yeah, they gave me 9k for the Accord. Hopefully I get more from the suspension and the tires. They didnt give me anything for my HO alt or battery and battery was busted so I couldn't pull it out

Ended up getting a vehicle yesterday as I said in PM, it came with the Bose, but if it didn't, wouldn't have been a big deal.