Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

D2 w/stock Bose speakers upgrade question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
D2 w/stock Bose speakers upgrade question

Hey everyone,

I put a Pioneer AVIC-D2 in my 05 coupe. I have the "premium" sound system (ie Bose HU and speakers)... I'm not interested in putting in a sub or two and new component speakers throughout the car. I've been reading up about people tapping into the wiring harness in the trunk to ease installation.

Question one: What's going to be the easiest way to install for me? Run a new set of RCAs straight from the D2 to amp for sub(s)? I believe the D2 has three RCA outputs. So if I'm getting another amp for components should I run TWO RCAs from the back of the D2? then is it best to use the existing wires which run to the component speakers from the trunk? How much power can those wires handle cause I imagine they are small gauge wires?

Question two: has anyone used the stock Bose amp to power new component speakers (NOT the 6x9s)? I think I've seen that it puts out about 225W, so can that power be harnessed to run a set of killer door speakers? Or is it too crappy of an amp?

Thanks for your inputs.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GRide
Hey everyone,

I put a Pioneer AVIC-D2 in my 05 coupe. I have the "premium" sound system (ie Bose HU and speakers)... I'm not interested in putting in a sub or two and new component speakers throughout the car. I've been reading up about people tapping into the wiring harness in the trunk to ease installation.

Question one: What's going to be the easiest way to install for me? Run a new set of RCAs straight from the D2 to amp for sub(s)? I believe the D2 has three RCA outputs. So if I'm getting another amp for components should I run TWO RCAs from the back of the D2? then is it best to use the existing wires which run to the component speakers from the trunk? How much power can those wires handle cause I imagine they are small gauge wires?

Question two: has anyone used the stock Bose amp to power new component speakers (NOT the 6x9s)? I think I've seen that it puts out about 225W, so can that power be harnessed to run a set of killer door speakers? Or is it too crappy of an amp?

Thanks for your inputs.
Good questions. Did a little research already so that helps things....

OK. You will be disappointed if you install your D2 and keep the stock speakers and amps. So if you can, replace the stock amp and speakers...this should actually be the first step.

Yes...run RCAs from the back of the D2 to the trunk, usually under the steering wheel, along the door sill down the driver's side, under or along the backseat and into the trunk. You don't have to run 2 2-channel RCA wires, they do make a 4-channel RCA interconnect cable which would make 1 wire easier.

IF you plan on adding a sub+amp later, run an additional RCA from the sub-out RCA on the back of the D2 while you run the other RCA cable, this will save you time and headache having to take apart your dash again and run cable again.

You can use the existing speaker wire. I don't think you can blow the wires before the amp clips. Almost everyone uses the stock speaker wires at least for the fronts. I think my install shop installed new speaker wires to the backseat and rear shelf speakers since those were easy to wire.

I would advise using the stock Bose amp....why? No equalization....its supposed to be a Bose but it truly sucks as an amp.

Hope this helps at least start you off.

doc

Old 06-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
^ +1.

If you must keep the stock Bose amp and speakers, Metra makes a wire harness adapter with two pairs of RCA jacks so you can use the RCA outputs of your new HU to plug into the OEM wire harness and then to the Bose amp.