Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

One of the best sounding cars i have done so far :) 06 G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
One of the best sounding cars i have done so far :) 06 G35 Coupe

hey guys...well, i finally had the chance to do a proper SQ install in a G35, a car that i have worked on over 40 times in the last three years lol...and i am happy to say that,this car turned out to be one of the bets sounding cars i have ever done to this date, maybe the best, definetly top three

the goals:

1. Superb sound quality
2. maintain a lowkey and stealthy appearance.

the signal chain starts with a clarion DRZ9255 cd player, whcih is linked to a 6 disc clarion changer. it is installed in the stock location via the JDM double din finisher. For those who dont know, the DRZ9255 is one of hte best sound quality decks current made, similar to other top of hte line decks from macintosh, denon etc:
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...294764151.html

the front stage is a pair of Seas Lotus Reference 6.5" two way components, for hte midbass, the stock door location was considered, but we felt that the stock door, with its big piece of plastic, is too prone to rattles and buzzing, even with significant amounts of dampening in it, infact, this particular car, has dampening in the doors on both sides, and still exhibited plenty of buzzing in particuar frequencies...annoying to say the least

so I made a pair of kick panels for him. I deviated from my usual kick panel deisgn for G/Zs, and instead, extended the mold from the factory kick panel down and outoward, to give a much larger back mold, this gives the kick much more internal air space and also can aim it more axis without taking up as room.

here they are:

here are a coupla build pics on the kicks, note they are open bakced to vent into the stock kick area and carpet, and a crap load of modeling clay, along with dampening, resides in each kick panel to kill resonance. (if you are famaliar with van ayken clay packages, i used 7 packages between the two). the whole thing was then wrapped in blacke suede for a stealthy, understated apperance.

the reference tweeters were installed off axis in the stock A pillar location, i played with a few location ideas, including on axis by molding off of hte little dash vents you see, but in the end, settled on this location, as it gave pretty dran nice stage height and depths.

the stock A pillar material was impossible to duplicate, its basically a grey/beige flocking, all the material i can find was either too gray or too beige, so instead, we decided to match the dash and doors with black vinyl.

two build pics showing the A pillars, molded, and then vinyled:

as the car features zapco DC reference gear, the tuning cable for the amps comes out of hte center console, and plugs into a laptop for tuning:

and finally, a full snapshot of hte front:

moving to the trunk ,again, the idea here is just to do a clean stleathy install, no emphasis on showy, or lighting or any of that...here is the view when you open the trunk initially:

a modified 4080enclosures subbox sits on the driver side, and then the stock trunk mat is fully in place.

pop off the trunk mat, and you see that a center rack has been built out and trimmed in black vinyl, with raised lettering on the center cover

and finally, lift out the cover for hte sub and the amps, and here is what you see...

an image dynamics IDMAX10 sub its in the subbox (hence hte need for the remolding of hte box to accomodate it), and three zapco DC refernce amps sits belowt he floor.

350.2 2 x 100 for tweets
1000.4 bridged 2x500!!!! for midbass
1100.1 1x1100 for the idmax

again, nothing fancy just straightforward.

and finally, here is the modified 4080 box, a new top baffle was molded in, spacing out about 2" so the idmax can fit:

and the wiring pics of the amps:

overall, i am pretty darn pleased with the outcome of this car, midbass is VERY solid, and so effortless with so much power on them, the stage is hovering above the dash, very well centered and focused, with good widths and depth, it sounds very natural, good detail and smooth highs...the max also provides plenty of bottom end.

i sat in the car today for a hour just listening to it after taking the pics hehe

Old 06-17-2008, 08:02 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Love you work man.

Everything so nice and solid.

btw. Do you do anything to a speakers on the door? Upgrade, replace or completely disconnect them?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Great work as always... i just may have to take a trip up to Cali to let you work on my G hahaha

Old 06-17-2008, 08:07 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
^you gonna have to pimp your a$$ out for quite some time to afford that Beebo

Old 06-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by JOKER
^you gonna have to pimp your a$$ out for quite some time to afford that Beebo
Na... Getting hit by a car FTMFW...

Old 06-17-2008, 08:15 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
sure sure.

Lemme know when you ready to make a trip.

I might volunteer for hitting you with a car.

We could split the $. I think I got 100k limit for personal injuries on my policy.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by JOKER
sure sure.

Lemme know when you ready to make a trip.

I might volunteer for hitting you with a car.

We could split the $. I think I got 100k limit for personal injuries on my policy.
Will do!!!

Old 06-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn dude...nice install

Old 06-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man that is insane power!!!! cant wait to hear it....man i want new gear now...lol

Old 06-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
damn talk about a system! looking nice bro!..

Old 06-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
amazing set up. nice work.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:15 AM
Hi all,

I am the owner of this car audio system. All I can say is. WOW. Far exceeded my expectations. I'm just in awe. I think I will sleep in my car now haha. Hats off to Bing! weeeeeeee

(I don't want to get into specific details of the actual sound other than WOW. But, if you'd like to know, please feel free to ask me).

Cheers!

Old 06-18-2008, 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by Jiunn
Hi all,

I am the owner of this car audio system. All I can say is. WOW. Far exceeded my expectations. I'm just in awe. I think I will sleep in my car now haha. Hats off to Bing! weeeeeeee

(I don't want to get into specific details of the actual sound other than WOW. But, if you'd like to know, please feel free to ask me).

Cheers!
If you dont mind me asking... How much did this all cost?

Old 06-18-2008, 01:56 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice install.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:12 AM
Beebo - Let's just say I enjoy the sound very much haha.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: One of the best sounding cars i have done so far :) 06 G35 Coupe