Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Stock buttons on Metra controller and Metra controller in JDM finisher

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock buttons on Metra controller and Metra controller in JDM finisher

I'm wondering if it's possible to remove the buttons from the stock HU/HVAC finisher and put them on the controller that comes with the Metra kit.

I'm also wondering if it's possible to use the controller that comes with the Metra kit in the JDM finisher.

I got a quote from Yoshi from japanparts.com for a black JDM finisher, AC controller and shipping of $427 CAD. That's pretty steep just because the AC controller is more than half of that cost. I'm not saying Yoshi's price is bad, he's not even making that much off of it, that's just what it costs him and shipping is reasonable.

Why is the Metra controller so much cheaper than the JDM? It can't be because of the material used to manufacture the buttons. Plus the JDM controller doesn't even include the DCC button.

I've done a lot of reading, a lot of searching and I've read one story where an installer said the Metra controller wouldn't align with the JDM finisher but the poster also didn't trust much of the work the installer was doing in general.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:25 PM
metra controller is of way lower quality.
Talk to the riverside infiniti guys, they have very reasonable price.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:57 PM
The buttons are lower quality because they are more rubber than plastic like the JDM and stock controller but the actual controller board can't be any different unless it physically won't fit.

The JDM controller is going to cost me at least $200 plus shipping; it just doesn't seem reasonable when the entire Metra kit costs less than that and achieves the same purpose albeit it looks worse.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Ya talk to the riverside guys. Even with shipping to Canada it shouldn't be more than $400.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:22 PM
If you have an 05', it's hard to get the factory kit right now. As for removing the AC controls from the stock radio, no it's not possible, it's all on one board (and you can cut it in half easily, either). I kind of doubt you can swap the buttons from the Metra kit and the JDM kit either. I just bought the Metra one for my 05' and the buttons are fine - I'd prefer they'd be black (and I do miss the **** a little) but they feel ok (they aren't all squishy or cheap feeling) and it has indicators lights and etcetera.

My only reservation with the kit is the fact that it is painted and not aluminum, but it looks pretty good, it's a good color match with the aluminum. I'm probably going to get a carbon fiber dash kit to go over all the pieces anyway (if I can find one to fit the double din piece too).

Edit: I saw you just meant to remove the buttons from the stock one and put them on the Metra (not the board itself). I kind of doubt it, but I will look when I pull my stock radio out to replace it next weekend and let you know what I find.

Last edited by trioptimum; 06-27-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Ya, I mean why isn't it possible to just pull the rubber-type buttons off of the Metra controller and pop the plastic OEM ones on instead?

I haven't found any information on people trying this before but maybe I'm not searching hard enough.

Also, why wouldn't the Metra controller fit in the JDM finisher? All of the buttons line up the same; it may just be the case that the screw holes don't line up but I'm sure I can mount it a different way.