Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Anyone installed a PAC SWI-X?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone installed a PAC SWI-X?

Has anyone installed one of these yet to retain the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket HU? I have one on order (paid $39.99 at buy.com) and was wondering where the best place to install it is. The docs say to get the wires from behind the radio but it seems like it might be easier and more room if you could get them near the steering column. Also, where is a good place to mount the ir transmitter? I've heard some people say in the map light. Is the wire long enough to reach there or did you have to splice an extension into it?

Thx

Old 04-26-2004, 10:55 AM
Black 2004 G35 6MT, chrome wheels, black, still pristine
Re: Anyone installed a PAC SWI-X?

I have one, but haven't put it on yet, but I'm informated by the people at PAC that it WILL work, as long as it's not certain Sony/other HU's. As long as you have a HU that has remote control, you "should" be ok. I'm probably going to mount it around the map lights... so yes, you'll have to get an extension to do that cuz the given wires certainly isn't long enough. Once I get my subs and RCA's in later this week, I'll probably get my install started within a week or 2. Good luck with the PAC-SWI-X. I'll definitely post pics when I'm done with the install........

The Bamadog
BAMADOG.COM
2004 G35 Coupe - Black/Black 6MT - Chrome 7-Spoke Wheels - Aero Kit & Package w/spoiler - Tint - Alpine System - Body Side Molding

Old 04-27-2004, 12:26 AM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you guys post pictures for a step by step install while you do it?

---------------------------------
http://www.anythingbox.net

Old 04-27-2004, 03:42 AM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Bama,

I just thought of something....why not put the IR transmitter right below the center armrest door lip, right of the latch. That would have clear line of sight to deck IR sensor and the stock PAC wire might reach there w/o extention wire. You will have to drill a hole into the center console below the center armrest though. Just a thought instead of putting it up in the maplight.

Old 04-27-2004, 05:03 AM

It is a really easy install. I guess what makes people hesitant is finding the right wires. One of the harnesses connected to the back of the stock HU contains 4 wires (red, yellow, green, white/green). You'll use the red, yellow, green wires for the install, while the white/green wire is the speed sensor wire. From here, simply connect 2 resistors and ground one of the wires as stated in the instructions that come with the SWI-X. Works great.

2004 G35C 6MT DG/G | Premium | Alum Pedals |Huper Optik 30/40/50 | Z-Tube | K&N Drop-In | Grounding Kit

Old 04-27-2004, 09:01 AM

Below the center armrest, it's flat. The soft part of the center armrest actually touches via magnet. There's no part of the armrest base that angles up from the center compartment. ie. if I took the armrest completely off, the sensor would aim straight up. Maybe I could get some very thin chrome/black pipe that could come out of the center part??? But that might look retarded. This will be a challenge if not mounted above....

The Bamadog
BAMADOG.COM
2004 G35 Coupe - Black/Black 6MT - Chrome 7-Spoke Wheels - Aero Kit & Package w/spoiler - Tint - Alpine System - Body Side Molding

Old 04-27-2004, 10:18 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

yeah plus your ARM would be in the way when you are driving [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake

Trending Topics

Old 04-27-2004, 11:54 AM

I mounted mine on the drivers side, right below the cigarette lighter. Works great and is stealth.

B. Silver| Loaded to the "Brim"| 20" Iforged Rims - Flux| Pop-Charger | Z-Tube | Nismo Cosmetics | GroundGear Equipped | Borla TD | "Custom" Stereo - JL/Focal/Eclipse

Old 04-27-2004, 01:31 PM

Wait.... it's flush next to the cigarette lighter?? If that's true, then how is the infared signal getting to the HU unless it's reflecting off of something. What gives with that?

The Bamadog
BAMADOG.COM