Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about components speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about components speakers

i have a set of boston acoustics pro series 6.5 components... they are full range components...

but what im confused about is, on my jl 300/4 amp

do i set the filter mode to off, lp or hp?

i know you set it to LP if you're gonna run a sub, but if the components are full range, do i set it to off? or do i set em to HP? very confused... i dont want my components to be damaged by having the wrong frequencies being sent to them...

but isnt that what the crossovers that came with the components for? to ensure that the tweets and mids get the proper freqs? please help, im really confused as to where to set my amps setting for my components...

im also thinking the HP setting on my amp is if you're gonna drive just the tweeters seperately only, (for ppl who buy there tweets and mids seperately and it doesnt have a crossover)... right?

and the factory rear side panel speakers (6.5 panasonic 4ohms), are those full range speakers or what?

Old 04-26-2004, 12:12 PM
Re: question about components speakers

another thing, on my alpine cda-9833 headunit, theres a switch on the bottom for 2way or 3way setup....

which one do i have? i have my boston pros full range components up front, my factory rears, and a sub...

the default is set at 2way... this way i can fade from front to back w/o affecting the sub, but if i set to 3 way, i cannot fade at all...

also on my amps i have settings for the lowpass filter and highpass filter, and on my headunit i also have crossover settings, sigh so confusing, which ones do i actually use to tweak my system? im just being safe and trying not to damage my speakers by doing something that i'm not supposed to...

please help me understand how this is suppose to work, i know what a crossover is for, but the thing that throws me off, is you can adjust it on the headunit also... so which one do you actually use?

Old 04-26-2004, 12:30 PM

Short answer is leave the HU and amp on full range and use the crossover that came with the components. It has been my experience that most HU crossovers are garbage and the amp ones arent much better except on high quality amps(I dont have any experience with the JL amp so I couldnt say on that one). The crossover that came with the speakers is specifically desigined for those speakers and is best at setting them up, it will filter the frequencies itself, theres no reason to play with the ones in the amp or HU. You may want to run the lowpass on the amp for your sub, but I see no reason to use it on the components.

Old 04-26-2004, 03:07 PM

I'd set the amp to HP your fronts at around 50-60 Hz. Your sub should be handling everything that low, so there's no sense feeding (and making your amp power) anything that low.
I've got a similar setup to yours, and my installers HP my fronts at 60 and I think it sounds great.

Old 04-26-2004, 07:06 PM

bu alv does have a point tho, after all the components set comes with its own crossovers, so really you should set your amp to FULL RANGE on the front channel, cause thats what the x-overs that came with the components do, split the freq until the right speakers... that makes sense...

how about the factory rear speakers in the side panels, are those 2 way speakers? so i should set those to full range as well?

Old 04-26-2004, 07:18 PM

I have both focal utopia component for the fronts and rear. What i did is to use the crossover that came with the components and on my digital processor, i kill all the signal below 80hz. I can go as low as 50hz(according to focal spec) but i am not going to do do so. Let the sub do the work below 80. Please read the spec on your boston pro to see what the lowest it can go.

I would not use the HU or amp crossover if can avoid it . The cross over that come with the component is much better than HU or amp. Unless you want to seperate the tweeter and the midbass, then you will need an electronic crossover or digital processor. This method require you to have a seperate channel amp for each individual speaker. You will need 4 channels amp just to run the fron component. Cost a lot of money.

In your case, i would use the component crossover and set the JL amp to HP to somewhere around 50-100 hz depend on what your speaker can handle.

hope that help.

g35mt

Old 04-26-2004, 07:22 PM

Sure, the crossovers that came with the BAs will separate the freqs between the tweeter and the woofer (6.5"), but how low do you really want the 6.5's to play? I don't know if the crossovers that come with the speakers will drop the sub frequencies.
If the 6.5's are trying to play 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, they're going to have a harder time playing the bass and midbass frequencies. Plus, the 6.5's aren't meant to be playing below, say, 50-60 Hz. I think they're rated at 60Hz and up. (so, maybe the crossovers do cut the lower frequencies.)
Your best bet is to contact BA directly. I've worked with Cory Philbrick [CPhilbrick@bostona.com], who responded quickly and knew what he was talking about.
He may tell you to feed full-range freqs to the speakers. But then you have Boston telling you what do to, instead of us hacks supposing we know what we're talking about!

Good luck.

Old 04-26-2004, 07:39 PM

lol, thanks, i guess i can email him and get a definite answer, but yup, for now ill set my jl amp to HP, right now its on OFF meaning its allowing all frequencies through)...

my ba pros can go down to 50hz, so i'll prolly set it at 80hz...

how about the rears side 6.5 factory speakers? those can handle 40w max, and they're 4ohm speakers, i also have em hooked up to the jl 300/4, so i guess i should set those to HP also and set the hp filter to maybe 100hz and up...

Old 04-26-2004, 11:14 PM

On the rears, I'd think you wouldn't want too much sound coming from 'em, so I'd high-pass them somewhere like you've said, and then adjust the gain on their amp channel to just where I couldn't hear 'em up front.
If anyone is in the back seat they'll get some "personal" sound, but you probably don't want the rears messing with you up front.
Play with it & see what sounds good.

Old 04-27-2004, 02:11 PM

I had the rear disable. Only time i used the rear speaker is for movie with Dolby or DTS setup. Otherwise, kill the rear. It sound much better without the rear.

g35mt