Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Anyone installed a DEI-555U Transponder Bypass?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone installed a DEI-555U Transponder Bypass?

I just got my Viper 791XV and DEI555U transponder bypass for remote start. Has anyone installed one of these on their G yet? Where did you mount the transponder ring? Is it hard to get it near or around the key cylinder without taking too much apart?

Thx

Old 04-26-2004, 03:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Anyone installed a DEI-555U Transponder Bypass?

i have never really understood why when installing a "security system" you would want to knowingly negate the built in security / anti theft device on the car.

Guess its a matter of really wanting the remote start feature.

03 6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero, splash guards, alum pedals, clear corners, double 15% tint

Old 04-26-2004, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well with the transponder bypass, you still need a coded key to start the car. Breaking the column, etc still wouldn't work since the bypass module only transmits the code during a remote start. Granted, there is a spare key hidden inside the module in the car which does reduce the security. Or a savvy thief could ground the proper wire on the module while breaking and turning the lock cylinder. But I think the odds of that happening are probably lower than your car just getting 'flatbedded' which no security system can really prevent. I guess it's a security vs convenience tradeoff but in this case I think the reduced security is low enough to warrant the added convenience. My 2 cents.

~John

Old 04-26-2004, 10:14 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The transponder should be installed just like an alarm brain, in a hidden location. You can grind the blade of the key down to make it impossible to use if a thief does find it. Also, if a thief knows how to bypass the system by which wire to ground then you might as well consider your car stolen. The thiefs are almost always one step ahead of the alarm manufacturers. I haven't installed my 555U in my G yet, but in most cars its not too bad. Usually there are 2-3 screws on the bottom of the column and then it snaps apart. Just run the little loop around the column and thats it. ALWAYS test the remote start before putting the column back together to prevent tearing it all apart again! Also, make sure you never try to remote start the car with the keys in the ignition. This will cause the system to see two keys and that is a BAD thing in most cars.

Kevin
----------------------------------------------------------------
04 Diamond Graphite Coupe - FULLY loaded
Windows up with OEM Remote
RE Short Shifter // Z Tube