Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Anyone with DEX-P9 and DEQ-P9???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone with DEX-P9 and DEQ-P9???

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with this HU and EQ combo. Looking for a review on ergonomics, SQ, worth the $$$, best places to buy, etc...

The design looks really nice and from the specs it looks like it could be on par with the Alpine CDA-7990 without the Alpine price.

<font color=red>Shibal G-Thang</font color=red>
<font color=blue>'04 TB 6MT Graphite: Aero Pkg, Premium</font color=blue>

Old 04-27-2004, 06:25 PM
Re: Anyone with DEX-P9 and DEQ-P9???

A few sq competitors I've run into were running that pioneer combo and it sounded really good. Although it is a somewhat old unit, it has very accurate sound, it's known for its sound quality, and there is a good range of adjustability with the processing unit. Now, I've heard the Alpine too, and I think the Alpine sounds better, but then again it is also like 3 times more expensive, so I don't think the price justifies the sound quality improvement. Whether or not you actually even need the dex and deq p9's depends on if you have high quality speakers and speaker placement to match. I'm not talking about speakers that everyone thinks are good, like focal polykevlar or whatever. You should get something like utopias, q-series, dynaudio, rainbow audio, or even hlcd's if you wanna experience the full poential of such a sound quality deck/processing unit. If not, you can stick with the higher end pioneers or kenwoods or such.. as they also have 24 bit burr brown dacs.. which will reproduce sound very well. A lot of competitors, me included, run the "lower" high end models and sometimes with ordinary external dsp's and do just fine, given that you set up the car properly.

2003.5 G35C 6MT Blk/Blk

Old 04-27-2004, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The P9 is a great unit but for the price of a good alpine cd player and the H700 processor would sound much better.

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite
AIM= bkchang79

Old 04-28-2004, 02:22 AM

Thanks for the info. I think these units have been out for about a couple of years now? From what I've seen and read, it sounds like a killer combo. I have QSD components installed upfront with a 10W7 in back so I want to drive the best SQ out of them as possible. Right now I'm using the stock premium HU which doesn't have the EQ control that I need. The tweets sound a bit harsh at times and I want adjustability to increase the mid frequencies higher and tweak the EQ settings according to the type of music I listen to. I currently have the components hooked up to a 2 channel amp, but I was also thinking about getting a more powerful 4 channel amp and biamping them. I'm also thinking about upgrading the wires to competition grade and I have started another thread on this, but maybe a power cap to make sure I get the cleanest power and enough juice to reproduce all the sounds my speakers are made for. After I've achieved all this and gone to SQ Nirvana, I can go kill myself and never regret it... :P

P.S. bkchang, which Alpine HU would you recommend in comparison to the P9? I have seen the specs on the H700, but never listened to it in action. I think the CDA-7998 is in the same price category as the P9, but seems lacking in features compared to the P9. The 7990 is just totally way off the charts in $$$ and I can't even find a place that has it for me to demo.

<font color=red>Shibal G-Thang</font color=red>
<font color=blue>'04 TB 6MT Graphite: Aero Pkg, Premium</font color=blue>

Old 04-28-2004, 02:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you try the Alpine H700 processor with the stock head unit. This gives you the ability to EQ and set crossover points. I would say any 400 plus retail alpine would work just as good.

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite
AIM= bkchang79