Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

AVIC-D3 Install Question on 06 G35 Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AVIC-D3 Install Question on 06 G35 Sedan

Has anyone done this themselves?

I've got the JDM double din finisher, the Pioneer HU, Bluetooth adapter, XM receiver, and steering wheel controls adapter.

I'm assuming I'll need to purchase an antennae adapter and Nissan wiring harness as well.

I'm also assuming I can use this DIY for the stock HU removal: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-diy/90507-diy-06-hu-removall.html

I currently have non-Bose and no Nav. I'd like to do the install myself, but I am a bit intimidated. Years ago I did quite a bit of stereo and electronics installations, but it was all pretty basic stuff.... (It was YEARS ago! lol)

Any tips, advice, gotchas, or things to be aware of are greatly appreciated. If I do it myself, I'll try to take some pics and document it (minus, of course, all my foul language which I'm sure will be flowing like wine!) :-)

Old 09-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm assuming you're finished by now? Hopefully you don't have your equipment just lying around waiting for a post here. I was going to say that for re-installing the console finisher above the clock, there is a special way to re-install that so that it goes down flush with the edge.

You have to take that piece and connect it to the little plastic finisher that goes in front of the clock. They connect with two little clips on the left and right side. Then you install them together at the same time. If you odn't do it that way, it's damn near impossible to get the top piece to stay connected to the bottom piece and will end up sticking up.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by roots4x
I'm assuming you're finished by now? Hopefully you don't have your equipment just lying around waiting for a post here. I was going to say that for re-installing the console finisher above the clock, there is a special way to re-install that so that it goes down flush with the edge.

You have to take that piece and connect it to the little plastic finisher that goes in front of the clock. They connect with two little clips on the left and right side. Then you install them together at the same time. If you odn't do it that way, it's damn near impossible to get the top piece to stay connected to the bottom piece and will end up sticking up.
Thanks for the info (I've since become very familiar with all of the moldings, and you're exactly correct about the piece above the clock. Very tricky if you don't do it correctly!)

Here's the link to the post I made after I got everthing installed. (I've since added an 80 gig iPod Classic in the glovebox):
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...tall-whew.html

Old 09-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks great. Are you happy with the AVIC D3 thus far? How flush is it with the finisher? Does it stick out much?

Old 09-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by roots4x
That looks great. Are you happy with the AVIC D3 thus far? How flush is it with the finisher? Does it stick out much?
I'm thrilled with it (especially for use with my blackberry phone and iPod). The only thing that I've found to be "sub-par" (on occasion) has been the navigation... It frequently doesn't choose the most logical route and many addresses aren't in the system. My understanding is that a new map cd is available from Pioneer, but I think it's just a map update and not a program/navigational logic update.

All in all, I'm very happy with it, though. I added the bluetooth adapter for the phone, iPod cable (routed it to my glovebox), steering wheel controls, etc. Without going into great detail, I also have it set up where my 4 year old can watch DVDs (or movies from my iPod) while we're tooling along, too.