Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Just Finished AVIC-D3 Install... WHEW!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 04:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Finished AVIC-D3 Install... WHEW!

I just installed a Pioneer AVIC-D3, with XM (GEX-P920XM) and Bluetooth (CD-BTB200) today. I had the non-Bose factory unit without Nav.

It's a pretty big chore, but well worth it.

(I should have waited to take pictures until I had enough natural light so that the camera flash wouldn't create such a distortion in the pics.)

I had to put the XM Tuner under the driver seat and running the wiring to it was probably the hardest part of the job. I was able to put the bluetooth behind the head unit (and the GPS Ant under the clock).

I am totally satisfied with this deck.... I've got the steering wheel controls adapter (PAC SWI-PS) coming later this next week and will install that when it arrives.

Since I couldn't find any notes on which wire to use for the parking brake, I used an "alternative" method for connecting it. Now everything works like it should.

Also, there was a gap underneath (between the HU and the finisher), so I went to a local hobby/craft store and picked up some craft leather (black). It's more pliable that ABS but more rigid than cloth, etc. Very easy to cut and tape into place. Looks great (to me anyway!).

If anyone is thinking about getting this deck, I HIGHLY recommend it.

I've got the iPod cable (CD-I200), but I haven't decided what iPod to buy and which method to use for mounting, etc. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about a plain-jane Nano, but the Touch looks pretty tasty.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice job. I had the same issue with the gap on the finisher though mine was an 03. The ring supplied by Pioneer is worthless but was able to modify it enough to fill the gap completely. I put my bluetooth and antennae in the same spot as you. I put the nav module under the arm rest though and it was a real easy install. As for the Ipod, put it anywhere that is easy to run the cable.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:10 AM
i'd love to see some more pics when you get some better light, in particular of the leather gap, thx

Old 07-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Looks real good.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
looks good

Old 07-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Looks great sourcepro, congrats. Post some more pics but with better lighting..I'd like to see how the craft leather looks on the bottom gap.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very NICE!

Same setup as I'm planning to get. What's holding me back is that I want to be able to hook up the factory bluetooth this unit (mic and steering wheel buttons).

As for the ipod, I'd say you go for a nano or classic, keep it in the dash cubby or center console. This way looks cleaner! I believe you can just control the ipod with the D3.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking good! Can't wait to see it at the next meet!

Old 07-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Looks great. I'd also like to see some pics with better light. The leather idea sounds great too. I need to do something about the gap I have on my w200.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, yeah... about the iPod. The CD-I200 will be able to come around into the glove compartment without any drilling or cutting. That's where I leave my iPod, plus I can lock the compartment. Some have put in the the lil' flip-up cubby about the center console. I think that requires some cutting. I don't think the CD-I200 is long enough to go through and underneath the center console to come up through the armrest.

I would go with the iPod Classics. Those are relatively small, but store tons of memory (80GB / 160GB). The Nanos can't hold that much (4GB / 8GB). The iPod Touch is nice... too nice to be left in the car. Since I have it in the glove compartment, I don't want to reach over and grab my iPod. So, I leave it in the car 98% of the time. The iPod touch has way too many features that I would not want to leave it in the car. The Wifi and GPS is nice to have on hand. So, I wouldn't hook up the iPod touch to my AVIC-D3. iPod classic is cheaper and more practical for this kind of application (IMO).

Old 07-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Congrats, it looks good.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:25 AM
Thanks, all.... I had a great, slightly overcast afternoon and had the G all cleaned up. As I was getting ready to take some pics of the install (with good lighting, etc) I realized my wife had taken our dig camera with her to her parents. :-(

I was really bummed because I made several cool (or at least I think) images for the splash, AV, and Nav screen.

For all AVIC owners, this site has been a great resource:
http://www.avic411.com

Thanks again for the info regarding IPods... As soon as my wife gets over the sticker shock of this last adventure, I'll get one! lol

Old 07-14-2008, 03:15 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
I've got an old 40gb I use for audio only in my glove box.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Meatshackle
I've got an old 40gb I use for audio only in my glove box.
Hey Meat,

Do you know if there are any compatibility issues with the AVIC-D3, the CD-I200, and the iPod Classic (80gig)?

Seems like I saw a thread with downgrading newer ipods to work properly, etc?

I think I'll just get the 80 gig unit and load it up with everything I normally have on CD and that will be that.

Thanks!

Old 07-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
came out great!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just Finished AVIC-D3 Install... WHEW!