Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Just swapped circuitboard: still nothing working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just swapped circuitboard: still nothing working

I purchased a circuitboard off of the forums because mine stopped working. At least I thought it was the circuitboard because the HVAC still blows air and for a while I could control the stereo with the steering wheel controls but then that stopped working.

This has been replaced before by Infiniti and the replacement isn't under warranty anymore (neither is the entire car). So now I have two non-functioning HU/HVAC controller boards.

I guess it's time for a double-din unit and I'll have to suck it up that I can't get a black one from anywhere but Japan.

Is there anything else I should check to see if the circuitboard may not be the problem? The seller said his worked when he took it out 10 months ago but there's no way for me to tell, is there?

Old 07-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If the circuit board didn't fix the problem, then it's got to be a problem with your radio.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:12 PM
The radio shouldn't have anything to do with the HVAC controls though, does it?

I mean I should be able to connect a working circuitboard to the HVAC harness without the changer connected and be able to control the HVAC, right?

The connections on the back of the radio/changer are for steering wheel controls, power and speaker output and then the radio/changer connects to the circuitboard with that ribbon cable at the bottom. The circuitboard has its own connector that plugs into the HVAC harness.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:47 AM
There must be a lot of integration betwen the circuit board and the radio. When my sedan's radio and AC went out, like yours, when the dealer replaced the circuit board, it did not fix the problem. They told me they had to replace the radio too.

Process of elimination would also support a hypothesis that the radio would be the problem since the circuit board didn't fix the problem, since they are integrated.

Of course, it is possible that both circuit boards are bad.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:12 AM
If you have the same situation then that is probably the case. I am going to see if the local Clarion repair centers will see if there's anything wrong with the circuitboard and fix it and try to find a working radio/changer.

Thanks for the help Gilley, I appreciate it.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Xraycat,

Let me know if you get anywhere with clarion.

I to have the same issue atm. It would be nice to know how much they charge for this type of repair.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:58 PM
I read that one member was able to get his repaired for $175. I haven't had luck getting to talk to anyone at Clarion and I tried contacting all the local service locations in my city with no luck. I'm going to keep trying but from what Gilley said there is a good chance that I need to replace the CD changer/tape unit. Fingers crossed that a new one will fix my problem and I won't have to pay Clarion anything.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Will the non-Bose CD changer work with the Bose circuitboard?

I can't find a lot of people willing to sell the changer seperately but I did find one guy who will sell his non-Bose changer for a good deal.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:18 AM
I don't know if the non-Bose circuitboard it the same as the Bose. I know the insides of the radios are different because the non-Bose has an amp built into it.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:12 PM
its the power supply on the radio. its kind of a common problem with these radio also the cd mech goes bad alot too.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Ah, so I probably didn't need to replace the circuitboard then and instead should have got a new CD changer. I'm waiting on a couple replies from the marketplace on a replacement CD changer and I bet at least one of the two circuitboards I now have work.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Just get a replacement unit from someone on the boards that has completed a double din conversion. Replace everything - stock parts go for cheap!

Old 07-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Ya I know, I messed up and should have bought everything at once but I thought I only needed the circuitboard so I bought one of those. Now that I need a CD changer it's harder to buy them separately rather than all at once. I was able to make a deal on a used CD changer though, hopefully it gets here soon.