Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

03-04 Sedan iPhone/iPod ashtray mount, details about iPhone 3g charging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by infg35x
Looks good but there is just something that bothers me about it being in that location in front of the radio and near the shifter. On top of that, if you go with the $299 package to control it through your steering wheel....why not just put in your armrest or upper storage compartment above the radio?

Not trying to be an ***.....but just trying to justify the steep price in my small brain.

Yeah, I thought about putting it in the cubby or in the console armrest thing, but the armrest wouldn't work well for my iPhone, simply because I need a place where I can see it, access it, and get a call or whatever if I need to.

I didn't put it in the cubby because I don't think there would be a way to easily mount one there, unless you drilled that little lip and put it there or something, or just let it sit.

With the iPhone, I can control it with both the steering wheel and with the actual phone, so I can switch playlists and such... and all the radio displays is CD1-Track xx or whatever, the only thing I don't see is the volume when I adjust it, but if it's too loud, turn it down. If it's too quiet, turn it up.

I donno, I was skeptical about it at first too, but it really does grow, and I really enjoy it. The only problem I have at the moment is that it doesn't charge, but there is not any kind of solution for that yet for a car, other than like a tape adapter.... There isn't a charger and FM transmitter or direct player that works with the 3g yet, and Randy assured me that as soon as they release one that works with this setup, he's going to add it into the package.

I have yet to get the dock adapter for the 3g also, which is what I'm waiting on to do the full review, that and the fact that I have no time lately for some reason...

Old 08-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Sorry for taking so long for the update, but I have been busy training for my job at college.

I have played with the dock quite a bit, and I must say that I really do like it. Whether it's with my iPhone, or with my 3rd gen Nano, the dock works great! There is no feedback through the radio with the phone, even with bluetooth on which would really be the only thing to interfere. The sound quality is great, I listened to my iPhone for 2 hours on a roadtrip, and my iPod for another 2 and had no problems, works much better than the FM transmitter I used to use.

The iPhone sits in front of the display on the H/U, but that means the only thing you really miss out on is the volume, which you can look at by moving your head.

The iPod nano I have doesn't cover up the display at all, just the buttons below it.

Like I said before, the disadvantage to the PA11-NIS is that it **DOES NOT Charge the iPhone 3g!** It will charge any iPod (to my knowledge), the original iPhone, but NOT the 3g.

This is a rather large chunk of change to drop for a dock, but in my opinion it is the best option, especially for an iPhone user. You can still easily surf the web or check your email while it is docked, or answer phone calls. The music still dims down when a call comes in, and it rings through the speakers, but when you answer, the sound either goes through your bluetooth headset or if you don't have a bt hooked up, it will come straight through the phone unless you have a headset, so you have to un-dock it.

There is a small glitch when you plug in the iPhone (not the nano) where it comes up, then turns back off for about 1 second, then comes back on and plays

For $300, you get:
1 USA-Spec PA11-NIS adapter
1 Custom made Hard plastic Dock Dock with double stick tape on the bottom(Sized as a universal dock)
1 universal dock adapter of whatever iPod or iPhone you have, you can ask for more
Instructions for how to install the physical dock, but not the integration unit

Keep in mind, you can NOT keep satellite radio capabilities with this unit, you plug the unit in through this port in the back of the radio.

I have pictures both done and during installation, and I will post them when I get a chance. I have to work this week and next, so I can't promise anything until then.

I have noticed that spec.dock doesn't have these on their website yet, so it must be either that they haven't finished their finalized instructions, or are just waiting for stock. I will email Randy and see whats up with that and if he would be willing to take orders via email.

If you have any more questions, feel free to post and ask, and eventually I plan to just update the first post with all the info.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Thanks for the update and you don't need to apologize for taking your time. Its not as though you are required to give free information and advise.
I look forward to seeing the pics.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:11 AM
I got mine done back in may in my 05 coupe

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...od-my-g-d.html

I love it as well, the sound quality is excellent and conceals very nicely.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:40 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good lord! What is that thing on your iphone!?

Old 08-25-2008, 04:40 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 10-16-2008, 10:34 AM
alternator whine

since they have disconnected the power to the 3g iphone you guys have no way of getting alternator whine but what about for the old iphone. I listen to pod casts and **** if that doesn't run all over the talking portions. Has anyone had experience with this and how bad was it?

thanks
Quasi

Old 10-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Sukairain

Bloodhound Gang - Hefty Fine
BTW, the solution to the charging problem:

http://www.cablejive.com/iphone_3g_c...converter.html

The only problem that remains is hacking the spec.doc or making your own setup with the PAC unit but I imagine that won't be too difficult.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scosche Passport has one coming out too, for only $30.

http://scosche.com/products/productID/1667