Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 ohm or 4 ohm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 ohm or 4 ohm

Okay I have read and read and do not understand what ohm is. So say I got 2 12 inch kick L7's. Would i need 2 ohm or 4 ohm? Can i get any reccomendations on what kicker amp i should get? I want a amp to push both L7's but not to blow them.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Buy your equipment from a seller that understands impedance (ohms) and can match an amp to your subs.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:53 PM
what part of fl u from?

Old 07-26-2008, 05:01 AM
Orlando

Old 07-26-2008, 05:29 AM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
I'll try to explain it as best as I can so you have a general idea. One of the core parts of a speaker is the voice coil. The coil is exactly what it sounds like, it's a coil that since inside the motor (magnet as people refer it to, but the motor includes various other parts). Here is a website that goes into detail: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_1_1/v1n1spk.html

Here are some pictures:

This specifically is a voice coil.

Voice coils can be single, dual, or quad. What's the purpose? Basically it provides more wiring options. I'll give an example shortly. But first, voice coils are measured in impedence. Impedence is an electrical resistance of a coiled wire, measured in Ohms (thanks google ). It isn't necessary to know what it means, but realize that the amplifier depends on it. Amplifier power ratings are provided at certain impedences.

Take for example a Rockford Fosgate t30001bd. It is rated at:

1,000w x 1 @ 4 ohms
2,000w x 1 @ 2 ohms
3,000w x 1 @ 1 ohms

The lower the impedence, the more power the amplifier will put out, but realize that the higher impedences, will be more efficient. More power isn't always a better thing, because when your electrical is more efficient, it sees that power, rather than being robbed of that power and the signal is cleaner.

Back to speakers. Lets say you have the above mentioned amp for the L7's (not saying that the amp should be used for it, might be too much power, not sure). But here is how it works. Say if you have a single 4 ohm speaker, you can ONLY wire it at 4 ohms because it has a single coil (one positive and one negative). If you have a dual voice coil (DVC 4 ohm), then you can wire at either 2 ohm or 8 ohms (it either is half or double since you have 2 positives and 2 negatives). There are few subs that are QVC (quad voice coil). So if you have QVC 4 ohm, you can wire at 1 ohm, 4 ohms, and 16 ohms (there are others, but these are the most common for QVC).

So say you have 2 12" Kicker DVC 4 ohms. If you were to hook one up, then you can wire at 2 or 8 ohms. But since you have two, you can wire them in series or parallel individually and together. Search wikipedia for a better understanding. One way of wiring is with a final impedence of 4 ohms, so those subs will see a total of 1,000w total (so 500w each). The other will be wired at 1 ohm, so 3,000w total (or 1,500w each). If they were DVC 2 ohm then you could wire at 0.5 ohms, 2 ohms, or 8 ohms (I would not recommend 0.5 ohms unless your amplifier can handle it and most can't).

What you want to do is figure out the subs you want to use and how much power you want to give them. Then use this guide to see what the final impedence would be: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftec...2&woofer_imp=4 (right now its set at 2 DVC 4 ohm subs).

Next you want to find an amplifier that puts out the power you are looking to give the subs at that impedence. Some amps will only go as low as 2 ohms, others will go down to 1 ohm. Two channel amps may bridge for a mono output and put out a final load of 4 ohms. Basically you want to match the impedence of the subs with the power you want at a given impedence on an amp. Hope that makes sense. If not, let me know what doesn't and I'll try and clear it up.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:32 AM
By the way, I'd advise you to stay away from Kicker. I've used a variety of audio equipment and I'm not too fond of Kicker. The only thing I can say about their amps (only used the ZX series, 2500.1 to be exact) is that it doesnt draw as much current as some of the other amps out there but gets VERY hot and doesnt put out as much power as it seems it should. Their subs do not sound good but can get loud. If clarity is not a priority to you then by all means these subs will be what you want, but if you want it to sound good, I'd advise to look at other subs. I've heard several systems with Kicker and none impressed me. You don't have to sacrifice sound quality and clarity for loudness, both can be achieved.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:49 PM
All I want is a good amp and 2 12's that will have some banging bass under $1,000 any suggestions brands/models?

Old 07-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Plenty actually. Are you looking for new, used, or does it not matter?

Old 07-27-2008, 03:40 PM
It really doesnt matter..

Old 07-27-2008, 03:52 PM
How are you planning to fit two 12's in the trunk? It can be done with compromises.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Mach 5 IXL, ID MAX (ID = Image Dynamics) or the IDQ, Soundsplinter RL-p, SI Mag (SI = Stereo Integrity), the Alpine Type R is doable, but IMO probably not as great sounding of a sub. I'd recommend a TC Sounds TC 3000 but you probably would need more power for it, so I'd have to say the TC-9, but the Soundsplinter is a TC9 based sub. The JL W6 is another good one to add to the list. There's others but I can't think of any others at the moment. I wouldnt go with Kicker, RF, or MTX. Name brands they may be but the above mentioned subs sound better. Once you figure out the subs, then from there you can go with amps.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:23 AM
meh i think i might just get one 12" L7 or 15" if it fits.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2 12's will require a custom enclosure and you will loose your spare tire.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by crazeejitt
Okay I have read and read and do not understand what ohm is. So say I got 2 12 inch kick L7's. Would i need 2 ohm or 4 ohm? Can i get any reccomendations on what kicker amp i should get? I want a amp to push both L7's but not to blow them.
Short answer? Depends on your amp.

Suggestion : Kicker L7s are crap.

Another suggestion : a couple JL 12w3s, JL 500/1 amp. It would sound fine in a G.

Long answer : Most amps are "4 ohm stable" or "2 ohm stable" meaning they will put out the most power without risking damage at 4 or 2 ohms, respectively.

So there's a little math involved in making that happen. You'll have to understand series vs parallel wiring and what that does to resistance. Then purchase accordingly.

For a pair of single voice coil subs on a regular 4 ohm stable amp, that means either a pair of 8ohm or a pair of 2ohm subs will work fine. Not one of each.
If they are dual voice coil subs, you'll need a pair of dual-4ohm subs.

There are 100 million explanations on ohm's law and "sub wiring" online, just hit up Google and your questions will be answered.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:02 PM
thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2 ohm or 4 ohm