Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

anyone using ZUNE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Calcvictim
I caved in and bought an Ipod for the G35, I had a very nice Meizu that works perfect with awesome sound quality but chose convenience. I really do wish other mp3 players were controllable from the headunit like the ipod is :-(
(oh no, he said Meizu)

I'm amazed why some of their products are still legal and why Apple hasn't sued the pants off of them... they don't even try to hide the fact that they're copycats...

alas, we have veered ot

Old 08-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lancer
(oh no, he said Meizu)

I'm amazed why some of their products are still legal and why Apple hasn't sued the pants off of them... they don't even try to hide the fact that they're copycats...

alas, we have veered ot
Considering the iPod Classic's interface is a rip-off of a Creative Labs product...

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/05/...ve.sues.apple/

Old 08-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by lancer
(oh no, he said Meizu)

alas, we have veered ot
I agree that they do blatantly copy, but the end result is a cheaper alternative with higher quality sound and no proprietary BS.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Calcvictim
I agree that they do blatantly copy, but the end result is a cheaper alternative with higher quality sound and no proprietary BS.
Cheap, yes (until you start racking up your bill at the Apple Store).
Good quality, yes.
Non-proprietary? Ha!

Try using your iPod without iTunes, or playing your Apple Store files on a non-Apple device.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by 350Zed
Good quality, yes.
Non-proprietary? Ha!

Try using your iPod without iTunes, or playing your Apple Store files on a non-Apple device.
I don't use the itunes store, nor any DRM music store so I wouldn't know.
I think one of the biggest things I do not like about apple is that unless you use 3rd party software you cannot retrieve your music back, I understand it's simple to do but WTF.

The Meizu is a perfect player that let me enjoy mu music in great quality(flac) but now since I got the G35 I need an ipod to integrate with the stock stereo

Old 08-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by 350Zed
Good quality, yes.
Non-proprietary? Ha!

I have a 60 gig iPod Video and I have never used the Apple store and I don't ever use iTunes either. There are a lot of better, and free, alternatives to iTunes.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:19 PM
There may be free alternatives to iTunes but most of them are a bitch to use and none of them have all the same features. Copytrans has the same functionality and a bit more but costs $50! iTunes sucks on Windows so really there is no great way to handle an iPod on Windows.

I loved my Zune 30. If it had been more pocket-able I would have kept it. If I hadn't of been given an iPod Classic and needed to buy an iPod Touch I would have gotten a Zune 80. The interface is way nicer to use and the wireless syncing and FM radio are features I find very useful.

Last edited by xraycat; 08-05-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:54 PM
When I said there are a lot of better, and free, alternatives to iTunes I meant it. I wouldn't use something sub par. You need to search a little harder. Some freeware have all the features and more not to mention you can drag n drop music files back and forth without that PITA apple file encryption found on the iPod.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:07 PM
I am well aware of all of the iTunes alternatives and have tried all of the most popular. I've come to the conclusion that there are better alternatives for some of the functions that iTunes has but there isn't one that is better and can do all of them. I used this page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...nsfer_features to find out what is available. None of them have made me want to completely get rid of iTunes and I hate using iTunes especially knowing WMP11 is a much better music manager, if only it supported iPod.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:10 PM
I have one Zune and Two Ipods, and honestly I prefer the Zune. My Ipods are constantly having some issue and crashing on me (the only reason I have them is because I use them in my car), but my 2 year old Zune works perfectly without ever having any problems.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Haha, that's exactly where I am (was). I have a Classic 80 and a 8GB Touch and used to have a Zune 30. I had hoped to swap the hard drives from the Classic and Zune but when that failed I just sold the 80GB drive and the Zune as parts keeping the 30GB drive in the Classic and made twice the money of what I paid for the Zune.

Anyway, the only reason I have the Classic is because I can charge it anywhere I go with all the available docks people have and the fact that I can control it and the Touch in my car. The Touch is a great device though, the wifi and all the apps make it a great thing to have at home.

Too bad the Zune didn't catch on more than it did or we would have the possibility of more accessories. Maybe someday there will be a iPod to Zune dock adapter to let the Zune take advantage of all the iPod accessories.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:30 PM
iPod plug-in for Windows Media Player

Originally Posted by xraycat
I am well aware of all of the iTunes alternatives and have tried all of the most popular. I've come to the conclusion that there are better alternatives for some of the functions that iTunes has but there isn't one that is better and can do all of them. I used this page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...nsfer_features to find out what is available. None of them have made me want to completely get rid of iTunes and I hate using iTunes especially knowing WMP11 is a much better music manager, if only it supported iPod.
you could trial this with WMP11: http://www.mgtek.com/dopisp/ but it's not free...$20

Old 11-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by cpnichols
I'm sorry but I hate Ipod and all their DRM crap... Zune too... That is why all my MP3 players end up being IRiver, Cowon, Creative, etc... Why don't cars come with simple USB connectors instead. Read your MP3 players for what they are... portable drives that happen to have music. What would be even better is a USB 4 pack where I can play music from my MP3 Player and plugin my phone and charge it, and still have 2 to spare.

Luckily I just got a 32gig flashcard for my car to play all my music off of it.
Some cars do come with USB connectors where you can plug your thumbstick drive. My X5 has it from the factory. By the way, same USB connector is used to manage an iPod should you choose to hook it up. I wish our cars had it...

Old 11-13-2008, 05:08 PM
I have an 80 gig Zune installed installed in my 05 g35c. worke great, it even fits side ways in my ashtray with no crazy mods. aux wire from PAC system runs behind ashtray. since it is sideways, i can watch movies on it much better then the ipod. i dont have pics but if you are really interested in seeing it, i can pm u.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by 100wattz
I have an 80 gig Zune installed installed in my 05 g35c. worke great, it even fits side ways in my ashtray with no crazy mods. aux wire from PAC system runs behind ashtray. since it is sideways, i can watch movies on it much better then the ipod. i dont have pics but if you are really interested in seeing it, i can pm u.
How about posting some pix?