Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

lacking midbass from my components

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 12:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lacking midbass from my components

i was wondering if this is normal, i have boston acoustic pro 6.5 comps, but i noticed that i barely get any bass from my mids, is this normal, i even have the HPF filter on my 300/4 amp down to 60Hz, still nothing, does it have to do with the crossovers that came with my components? i get sound coming thru the mids but lack of that bass and punch... please help... i have an alpine cda-9833 and i turned off my sub and fade it all the way to the front so i can tweak out my components...

Old 05-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Re: lacking midbass from my components

Your mids probably can't handle frequencies below about 80hz. You should probably bump up that hp filter to about 70 or 80 to reduce some stress on those speakers in trying to reproduce frequencies that it cant. Dont go by the spec sheet. Numbers dont tell you much about how a speaker will actually perform in a given application.

Your speakers may simply not have a lot of midbass punch. I have morel mids in my car and have the same issue. They have almost no midbass, which is why i will be installing a different set of mids in a month or so. My mids perform better in kicks, but i dont want to place them there. I had no choice but to purchase different mids.

You could try to close any air leaks your door panel may have in order to isolate the bass, similar to a large sealed enclosure. Your mids might perform better in sealed applications than in a typical infinite baffle setup. You could always trry building kicks for the comps as well.

You may eventually decide you need different speakers up front. Try doing some of the things mentioned and see if it helps any.

Old 05-04-2004, 11:04 AM

Or, the front speakers might be out of phase.
Try switching the + and - on those speakers (do it at the amp for ease), and see if things improve.

I've got Boston Z6s, and I have tons of bass/midbass up front.

Old 05-04-2004, 11:23 AM

bun, what kind of amp is pushing your bostons? and are you using stock HU or aftermarket one? with the stock HU and a LOC i get some bass, but with the aftermarket i dont get any...

my bostons can handle down to 50hz...

i am starting to wonder if its the xovers that came with my components, are there any settings on there or no?

Old 05-04-2004, 11:24 AM

I consider 70-100 hz or less as sub frequencies and not mid-bass frequencies. 6.5" speakers, as stated before, are not that well suited for mid-bass. The best size for that is an 8" speaker. Unless you're willing to add an 8" sub tuned for mid-bass, you will probably have to live with the lack of output there.

Old 05-04-2004, 11:33 AM

I've got a PPI 300.4, bi-amping the front speakers. They're getting decent power. They are very, very nice speakers.

I like BA Pros, and think they should be able to play down to 80Hz, or so, which would, in my estimation, cover the mid-bass/bass range. I think something's not quite right with your system for you to be missing midbass.

I'm still using the stock HU, which I think is adequate.

I really don't think your Bostons will play down to 50Hz. They wouldn't play 50Hz well. That's pretty damn low.

I have an MP3 of some vocals where they speak "in phase", and then have more vocals "out of phase". I could email that to you. If you burn that to a CD and play it, it might help determin if there's a phase problem. Try switching one speaker's + and - and see if it sounds better.

Old 05-04-2004, 12:05 PM

bun yes please, i would like to use that to test my phase, as i am having problems determining which is positive and which is negative, i will pm you with my email.

Also for you guys with new alpine headunits, they have active crossover built in now, which eliminates the need for a dedicated one... so saying that, would i set my amps to "Full Range" for my components and use the built in active xover on my headunit?

Old 05-04-2004, 02:00 PM

I've demoed the Boston Z6s and I concur on the midbasss. It's got tons and can handle a monsterload of power. The MB Quart QSD216 is another monster in the same playing field. Huge midbass performance!

<font color=red>Shibal G-Thang</font color=red>
<font color=blue>'04 TB 6MT Graphite: Aero Pkg, Premium</font color=blue>

Old 05-05-2004, 01:24 AM
Re: lacking midbass from my components *DELETED*

Post deleted by robjamell

Old 05-05-2004, 01:33 AM

hello rob, yes i just was doing this now with a file that bun sent me to test my phase/polarity...

so when the speakers are in phase, the vocals seem to be coming from the center and when out of phase the vocals seem like they are comming from the side, is this correct?

and what you said about alpine headunits lacking midbass, why is this? i thought alpine makes very high quality SQ headunits, even when my factory headunit was connected to my components i felt more midbass.... now its like not even there at all... very weird...

please help me out

Old 05-05-2004, 01:37 AM

I would check your phase. The easiest way to do this is to shut off you subs and then fade to the front and then balance left and then right. If you have the same amount of midbass or more with just one midbass playing, then you have a phase problem. It may be relative phase or absolute phase. Either way, it would be a phasing problem.

Let me know what you find and I will help you with the next step. Also, I do want to mention that 'lack of midbass' is a very common complaint with Alpine heads, but usually only when compared to superior heads - meaning you shouldn't notice it unless you compared it.

www.s-waves.com

Old 05-05-2004, 11:49 AM

Also check the cross over. Sometime the crossover allow you to select the frequency cut off for the midbass. I am refering to the component crossover.

g35mt

Old 09-06-2005, 09:47 PM
eurog35, did you resolve this issue? I just finished installing a pair of boston pro60's and a RF 800a4 amp and I am lacking midbass too . The bose speakers had more midbass than these. I was also think about adding a baffel to enclose the speakers in the doors to see if it sounded better. If anyone can help me with this I would appricate it. Oh, the speakers are not out of phase I checked that already.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The biggest problem I hear - over and over again - with midbass in a door is a leaky baffle.

The OEM speakers usually are in a spacing ring or have one built in, that allows the front of the speaker frame to seal against the back of the door panel. This allows the entire door panel to essentially be a baffle for the driver, and it allows much lower midbass from the same driver.

If you simply space the speaker enough to clear the window mechanism, but you don't engineer it to mate up to the back of the door panel, then you won't get a real seal - the holes around the speaker will not only mess up your lower midbass, but also muffle your midrange a bit.

Old 09-07-2005, 08:15 AM
So how do you get a seal around the door speaker? I thought about this too, that's the only difference the bose/boston setup.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: lacking midbass from my components