Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

XM in the 08 G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM in the 08 G35

Hey guys:

My free 3 month trail for the XM radio in my 08 G35 is going to expire in about a month or so. So far I am a little disappointed with the quality of the music stations. My dish network has Sirius music on it, and I find the quality to by a lot better. With the merger of Sirius and XM, I am wondering if I will be able to get Sirius stations on my XM radio.

I do sorta like the traffic stuff that comes with XM, and a few other things, but generally I found XM to be a bit of a let down, compared to Sirius.

I would love to know if anyone knows anything about the status of our XM radios when it comes to the merger, and if and when we would get Sirius stations.

I would also like to know if anyone else has any general feedback about XM.

EDIT... after a little research I found this:
"As a result of the merger, SIRIUS XM Radio will also be able to offer consumers new packages in audio entertainment, including the first-ever a la carte programming option in subscription media. In addition to two a la carte options, the new packages will include: “Best of Both,” giving subscribers the option to access certain programming from the other network; discounted Family Friendly packages; and tailored packages including “Mostly Music” and “News, Talk and Sports.” The first of the new packages will be available in the early Fall."

But I am still not sure it will work with my current radio.

Last edited by cpnichols; 08-27-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:40 AM
I was just wondering the same thing today whether or not our existing XM integrated system will begin to pickup Sirius channels once the dust has settled, pricing plans are sorted out, and channels from both companies are combined. I have attempted to do a little research myself but don't really come up with answers as to when it would all be finalized. I hope soon!

I have been considering purchasing the Sirius adapter for my G35 (http://www.g35parts.com/9083/osc/pro...roducts_id=284) but am hesitant to drop $300 considering I currently use my Sirius Sportster mounted to the windshield. I would just prefer to have it all integrated withouth having wires running all over the place.

As for the quality, yeah it's not that great from my experience. I have listened to both Sirius and XM for many years and the quality still has room for improvement. I have always used direct connections from the satellite receivers to avoid using the FM modulator to enhance audio quality, but there is still room for improvement. I remember reading a long time ago that due to Sirius and XM's audio compression used for broadcasting, the quality can suffer. Hell, to me it sounds similar to a high quality audio stream off the Internet! I also have Dish Network and play the Sirius music channels often and the quality is MUCH better! Apparently Sirius has some sort of direct feed to Dish Network so playback is much cleaner.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:16 PM
My wife's car has Sirius and I have XM. I hear no difference sound wise, but menu wise I thought Sirius had better rock stations but XM had deeper play lists for the 60s and 50s music and the 50s music goes back to 1950 not 1956 like Sirius. Plus XM plays the music from the 40s if you are into that sort of music.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Well a few things.. the music stations on Sirius are better, I am not the only person that thinks so. They just seem to take their music more seriously. Even the kids stations are better. But that is of course a debatable issue. As far as quality being similar to internet quality... I am not sure it is even that. I often hook up my PDA phone that has EVD0 on it with some internet radio station in the car and the quality is much better, if I had to compare the two, I would say that XM is about 64 to 96k mp3... but I often listen to 128 mp3 or 96 aacplus (which is about 192 mp3)...