Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Seeking LOC advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seeking LOC advice

I think that I will need an LOC because I presume that this Alpine amp doesn't have differential inputs. I checked out Amazon but don't know which one I should get in terms of brand, # of inputs (2 or 4), any other specs or features (i.e. adjustments)?

If it makes a difference, I will use the amp in 5-channel mode to power the four cabin speakers and one sub.

Any expertise is appreciated!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Is the an LOC that is plug and play for the Bose G35? If not, I will need to cut wires, right?

Is there a DIY with pics?

Old 08-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
I would call the company who makes the amp and ask it will accept the signal from the Bose radio. I called JL Audio direct before I did mine. Then you wont need a LOC. Just splice the speaker wire with RCA cables. Not sure your gonna want to run the factorys off that amp. May wanna grab some decent 4 ohm speakers. I got a set of Polks that sound decent pretty cheap.

All the wire colors are here in this section.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:58 PM
It's an Alpine MRV-F450. It is a few years old but never used. I have some Polks that are going in as well and a JL sub. Only keeping the Bose HU.

I'll check to see if I can just splice into the existing wires and run RCA's to this amp. If I need an LOC, any suggestions?

This leads me to another question. Since I have a 5-ch amp, do I need three RCAs going into the amp? Or should I be good with just the front and rear RCAs? The amp has three RCA inputs (one for the sub). My old Alpine HU had three RCA outs (one dedicated for the sub), I guess I wont be able to control the sub with the Bose HU... is there a simple way to control it with this set up?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by naughty240
Just splice the speaker wire with RCA cables.
Not the speaker wires, the low level wires before the audio signal goes into the Bose amp.

Originally Posted by G35tilInfiniti
It's an Alpine MRV-F450. It is a few years old but never used. I have some Polks that are going in as well and a JL sub. Only keeping the Bose HU.

I'll check to see if I can just splice into the existing wires and run RCA's to this amp. If I need an LOC, any suggestions?

This leads me to another question. Since I have a 5-ch amp, do I need three RCAs going into the amp? Or should I be good with just the front and rear RCAs? The amp has three RCA inputs (one for the sub). My old Alpine HU had three RCA outs (one dedicated for the sub), I guess I wont be able to control the sub with the Bose HU... is there a simple way to control it with this set up?
I would try it without the LOCs. Cut the appropriate wires before they enter the Bose amp, cut an RCA cable in half and connect the exposed + and - ends to the appropriate wires from the Bose harness, and connect into the speaker wires coming out of the Bose amp.

You will need 1 RCA cable to cut. It will make one cable for the front and one for the rear.

Some 5 channel amps have a switch so you can select the sub input to be one of the front or rear inputs. If your amp has such a switch, select the input to be the rear speakers so you can control the sub output.

Last edited by Gilley; 08-28-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE=Gilley]Not the speaker wires, the low level wires before the audio signal goes into the Bose amp.QUOTE]

Sorry I ment speaker wire in a general term. Didnt mean actual speaker wire from the amp.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:13 AM
and connect into the speaker wires coming out of the Bose amp.
Connect into speaker wires coming from Bose amp? I'm confused. I'm planning on not using the Bose at all and having my 5-ch amp power the entire system.

You will need 2 RCA cables to cut. One for the front and one for the rear.
Can I just use one RCA cable? When I take one RCA cable and cut in half, I now have two cables, each ready to be spliced on one end and male RCA jacks on the other end that go into the amp. Right?

I'm still not clear which wires coming from the HU that I need to splice into. Is there a diagram? So the are called "low-level" wires?

Some 5 channel amps have a switch so you can select the sub input to be one of the front or rear inputs. If your amp has such a switch, select the input to be the rear speakers so you can control the sub output.
Not quite clear on this but I'll gt to this once I know what to splice into coming from the HU.

thx

Old 08-28-2008, 09:59 AM
what year? coupe or sedan?

Old 08-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you read the sticky thread about adding an amp to the Bose system? https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...g35-coupe.html

See if that will answer some of your questions. The wire colors are posted in several threads.

You are right about only needing one RCA cable and cutting it to make two cables (one for front and one for rear). I was thinking about something else. I fixed it in my post above.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by naughty240
what year? coupe or sedan?
03.5 sedan w/Bose.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Gilley
Did you read the sticky thread about adding an amp to the Bose system? https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...g35-coupe.html

See if that will answer some of your questions. The wire colors are posted in several threads.
I found this, from you actually (thanks):

Head unit output colors

The (+) are all on the same side of the connector.

Head Output Front Right + Orange/Blue
Head Output Front Right - White/Blue

Head Output Front Left + White
Head Output Front Left - Orange

Head Output Rear Right + Blue
Head Output Rear Right - Pink

Head Output Rear Left + Teal
Head Output Rear Left - Purple

Remote Wire Light Blue/ Silver
As for making the line to RCA connections...

Part of the DIY said "If you have ever cut open a standard RCA cable, you will notice that there are two conductors, one of which is often VERY tiny. Splicing such a tiny conductor to a speaker wire is very difficult and does not yield quality sound for your inputs (which the entire system is dependant upon!) Look for twisted RCA cables, or braided RCA cables. These use thicker gauge wiring for both conductors. INOXS makes cables that work well for this."

I called Alpine and they said that my amp accepts the signal -- I don't need an LOC. As a test, I cut open some old Stinger RCAs, in the middle where it becomes one cable, and saw four tiny wires running through it (white, black, red, yellow). Then I pulled each off the RCA connectors (both had a black AND white wire running to it.) What color wire connects to the + or - wire to the Bose HU? How do I know which color is L or R and + or -?

BTW, I have Navi. Does this add any complexity?

Last edited by G35Halo; 08-28-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Yea but thats for a coupe.... here is a sedan one I made with pics and factory diagrams.

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...rams-pics.html

I even had the Giley "seal of approval" haha

Old 08-29-2008, 02:27 AM
Thanks, 240.

Now, how do I know which wires in the RCA to connect to the + or - since there are 4 wires when I open it up?