Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Build My Sound System!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build My Sound System!

i have a G35 and got the bose system. Not to happy with the sound so going to change it.

What do you guys recommend? i am leaning towards MB quarts and a couple or one JL sub. I want a nice clear sounding system with some bass, nothing to extremely loud bass wise. I saw a JL 10w6v2? kinda want to get the best bang for the buck, i dont really want to spend a huge amount but i dont wanna go cheap either.

I would like to have an idea of what i want before going into a local shop and having them try to sell me something i dont need. Any info would be great thanks!

Old 05-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Re: Build My Sound System!

Don't know if you have a coupe or a sedan. I have a coupe. In a coupe, one sub is more than enough if you don't want something extremely loud. The car's acoustic properties lend themselves very well to bass reproduction, so you don't need a lot of power to get some good bass going.

Old 05-19-2004, 01:36 PM

I have a Coupe, i just bought it last week, but the Bose system isnt cutting it =/

Old 05-19-2004, 02:09 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

hmm, perhaps you should have gotten the stock system instead of spending that grand or so on the Blows system.

I would swap out the deck, dash/console, speakers, amp
It will cost you around $1,500 for the entire project probably.

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake/AVIC-N1-double-din

Old 05-19-2004, 03:23 PM

Here is my suggestion...

Since you like the 10W6, get one of those... I recommend in, a basic system, to have the box made from fiberglass behind one of the rear wheel wells in the trunk (most likely on the left side since you will be removing the Bose amp that is there now.

For power, get a JL 500/1 for the sub. And maybe a 300/4 for the mids and highs.

Just get rid of the 6"X9" speakers in the rear deck. Put mids and highs into the doors and in the rear sides.

I personnally love MB Quarts and each component set can be made into a "coaxial-type" speaker for the rear side panels.

And then change out the dash for the best options in a head unit.

Figure about:
$400 for the dask kit from Yoshi.
$300-$2300 for a head unit depending on what you want (nav, dvd, mp3, etc).
$400-ish for each of the amps.
$350-ish for the MB Quarts (assuming middle grade PCE-216's).
The sub is kind of expensive at about $350-ish.

Install, just a guess would be about $600 with the box and the dash changeout.

So thats $4150-6150.

Opps, so much for cheap.

2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Volk GT-7's/ TEIN Basics
Falken 245/35/ZR19 & 285/35ZR19
Kinetix Racing Camber Rods/ K&N Typhoon CAI

Old 05-19-2004, 07:10 PM

The cheaper version (or, upgrade path...)

Use the stock head unit. Get a line output converter to make it compatible with an aftermarket amp system. Replace the Bose amp with new amps. Leave the Bose rear speakers in place, just replace the fronts with the MB Quarts and of course add your JL sub.

Leaving the rear deck and rear panel speakers in place will save you a lot in labor. IMO the stock rears work just fine for rear filler. Bass has no trouble getting through the rear with the 6x9s still in place.

Will give you a very nice system. Personally, I'm stopping at this point since I'm very pleased with the sound. When you have more to spend you can work on getting the double din, replacing the head unit and replcaing the rear speakers if you feel you need to take it to the next level.

Old 05-19-2004, 07:17 PM

djrobx..how much are you looking at? i am planning to do the same.....external amp from stock HU...a sub

Old 05-19-2004, 08:31 PM

Hey, 703, give us a budget to work with.
Are you looking at spending $500, or $5,000? (and don't say "somewhere in between.")

Old 05-19-2004, 11:27 PM

somewhere in between =p j/k

I'm planning on getting a DVD player, i saw the alpine D900? went down in price to about $1600 which isnt bad.

i'm guessing the JL 500/1 amp and a 10w6v2 sub for bass.

My main problem is what speakers i should use to replace the stock ones. Maybe spend $200-250 / pair? i've heard of MB quarts being really good, but im not familiar with the product line.

So maybe $3000-$3500 total to work with?

Old 05-19-2004, 11:34 PM

Sounds like you're picked out a great deck, sub, and amp.

A lot of people like MB Quarts, and they'd make great front speakers. I like Boston Acoustic, and some Alpine models. See what you can find locally and listen to as many as you can. I think you'll want/need an amp for the front speakers, so add another $350-ish for that.
Then installation!
Good luck.

Old 05-19-2004, 11:57 PM

I am guessing by the area code in your name (if that is what it is) that you are in DC...

Find a Sound Advice store, which might be called Tweeter where you live.

They carry the whole line of MB Quarts, JL Audio, and Boston Acoustic speakers... so you can compare yourself.

I, personally love MB Quarts, something I had almost 15 years ago when I was in high school. They served me right then, and serve me right now. So, I stick with what I am familier with.

I have heard they tend to be more "brilliant", than the other speakers, which might be why my deaf a$$ likes them so much.

Take a listen and you will know whats right for you.

2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Volk GT-7's/ TEIN Basics

Old 05-20-2004, 02:06 AM

Yes, MB Quarts are more "Brilliant/Bright" than most speakers. When MB Quart first started out in the speaker business, they just built tweets. They have slowly expanded into mids and now build bass.

They pride themselves on the quality and freq response of their tweets. Overall, MB Quart is a great speaker and you can tell the difference in quality over some of their competitors (esp in their high end models).
I personally think that they are a little "bright" b/c i keep the volume way up. ( been around jets to long).
Bottomline: they are great speakers and if you like the sound it would be a great investment. They last forever

Old 05-20-2004, 10:21 AM

Yeah i do live in the DC area.

ok you guys sold me on the MB quarts. Is there a big difference in PCE 216 and RCE216? So if i buy the PCE216, do i buy 2 pairs and put them in the front and mid? or do these just go in the front and im supposed to get something else for the middle? or is that not how it works. Im not to knowledgeable with this stuff =p

Old 05-20-2004, 10:59 AM

You will need 2 sets for the car.

One set for the doors and one set for the rear.

The speakers can be installed separately (mid in the lower door and tweeter in the top) or the tweeter can be mounted to the mid so they resemble a coaxial speaker (but with alot better performance). This is the setup you will probably use in the rear side areas.

Between the RCE 216's and the PCE 216's you just need to listen. I hear the difference quite a bit, but you might think the RCE sound great. They ARE a million times better then stock speakers thgey are replacing anyway.

The PCE 216's are the middle of the road MB Quarts. They also make the QSD 216 which retails at over $1000 a set.

2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Volk GT-7's/ TEIN Basics

Old 05-20-2004, 12:55 PM

If you have the funds I'd recommend the following:

-MB Quart QSD216 otherwise the PCE216 (they use the same tweeters, but different midranges and crossovers.)
-JL 450/4 or similar 4 channel amp. I'd biamp the components and forego with rear speakers.
-10W7 or 10W6v2. I think it will cost more just for the custom enclosure you will need. Personally, I'd go with the W7.
-JL 500/1 or similar quality amp. I've heard Phoenix Gold amps were also nice as well as PPI, Tru, etc. that others use on this board.
-Double-DIN dash kit. From reading joepaniolo's DIY, if you are not a DIY kind of guy, I'd let the installers work on it for you.
-HU of your choice.
-Dynamat/Accumat/Raamat as much as you can. If you go with the QSDs, I'd also recommend asking the installers to put in foam blocks in the door panels around the handles, and window/lock controls to eliminate door buzz. You get tons of midbass from the QSDs.

I'd say this would be about a $4,000 -$5,000 endeavor.

<font color=red>Shibal G-Thang</font color=red>
<font color=blue>'04 TB 6MT Graphite: Aero Pkg, Premium</font color=blue>

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Build My Sound System!