Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Question on aftermarket head unit and factory bose speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2008 | 12:01 AM
|
Question on aftermarket head unit and factory bose speakers

let me start out by stating, "i'm not an audiophile and i'm not looking for the type of bass that requires a separate subwoofer.... i just want clearer sound and crisp mids & highs"

i'm not happy with the sound quality of the bose factory system, so i'm thinking of going with a Clarion DXZ785USB HU. it has an ipod controller and is bluetooth capable!

OK... here come's the questions

will changing JUST the HU improve the sound quality of the factory bose system?

will i need some special harness or parts to make the HU compatible with the bose speakers? i think i read something where people were hearing humming or hissing sounds coming from the bose speakers.

if the sound quality needs more improvement, i might be able to scrape up some money for some door speakers (and maybe a small 2-4 ch amp). if so, will i need to make a door enclosure for the new aftermarket speakers?

thanks

Old 10-14-2008 | 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by Rock-n-ro
let me start out by stating, "i'm not an audiophile and i'm not looking for the type of bass that requires a separate subwoofer.... i just want clearer sound and crisp mids & highs"

i'm not happy with the sound quality of the bose factory system, so i'm thinking of going with a Clarion DXZ785USB HU. it has an ipod controller and is bluetooth capable!

OK... here come's the questions

will changing JUST the HU improve the sound quality of the factory bose system?

will i need some special harness or parts to make the HU compatible with the bose speakers? i think i read something where people were hearing humming or hissing sounds coming from the bose speakers.

if the sound quality needs more improvement, i might be able to scrape up some money for some door speakers (and maybe a small 2-4 ch amp). if so, will i need to make a door enclosure for the new aftermarket speakers?

thanks
changing just the headunit only is not going to improve the sound quality by a noticable amount because the Bose amplifier does the Equalizing. if you really want to improve sound quality, then get a good set of aftermarket speakers and amplifier.

Old 10-14-2008 | 02:33 AM
|
so which of the following would give me better sound quality (no subwoofers):

a) get an aftermarket head unit and keep the bose door speakers and amp.

OR

b) get an aftermarket amp (maybe 50 w/ch) and door speakers and keep the bose head unit.

Old 10-14-2008 | 07:34 AM
Option "b" should result in better sound.