Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod/iPhone/MP3 integration in Coupe with PAC AAI-NIS2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody used any of the Aux Input devices with anything other than an ipod?

Last edited by OctoMan; 01-02-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^ you can with the PAC unit since it comes with a RCA to 3.5mm headphone cable. that 3.5mm plug will go into any portable MP3 player - or any device for that matter that accepts headphones like cell phone, PDA, etc.

don't think you can do that with either the USA Spec or Nissan kit since they come only with special iPod Dock cables.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The USA Spec comes with a wire specifically for the iPod, but also has a second AUX IN with RCA inputs

From Crutchfield:

Auxiliary Input: In addition to the iPod input on the PA11-NIS there is an auxiliary input (RCA) for use with another source, such as a DVD system, satellite radio, etc. The aux input is accessed at disc 6 track 1 using the factory radio controls. This aux input can be used with or without the iPod connected. When using the aux input in the Playlist mode, Play All access is moved to the Disc 5 slot and the NISSAN5 custom playlist is lost.

http://www.usaspec.com/ipod.html

http://www.usaspec.com/images/side_view_2_big.jpg

i know it says toyota on it but its the same for the nissan (infiniti) one

I also don't believe there is another AUX on the Nissan iPod system.

Attached Thumbnails iPod/iPhone/MP3 integration in Coupe with PAC AAI-NIS2-side_view_2_big.jpg  
Old 01-02-2009, 10:29 AM
correct - so you'd have to get a RCA to 3.5mm cable. but those are very cheap and easy to find. then you'd be able to connect it to any device with a headphone jack.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i just got my PAC and it didnt come with a 3.5 to RCA cable.... did i get gyped? not that i care really cause i've got the powered dock cable coming soon

Old 01-03-2009, 08:20 PM
lol no you're good. as long as you got that powered dock cable coming - all you need

Old 01-06-2009, 02:43 AM
This is something I want to try very soon... and I've read your guide a few times and most of it makes simple sense to me.

I've absolutely no electronic wiring knowledge but I could not make too much sense of the Dock adapter (wire tap, I guess?) part. I saw that it had the red and the black wire with the flat round ends (grounding ends?) on it but where do those exactly connect to at the back of the Bose unit? I know you mentioned the cigarette lighter for one... very confused on that part.

Other than that, I might do a bit more research on which adapter I want to go with and make it a weekend project.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Great write up and thread! I am leaning toward the USA Spec... I have an 06 with factory Bose/NAV and no SAT.

So how would I access the ipod? Is it Disc 6 on the CD changer?

Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by soulstar
This is something I want to try very soon... and I've read your guide a few times and most of it makes simple sense to me.

I've absolutely no electronic wiring knowledge but I could not make too much sense of the Dock adapter (wire tap, I guess?) part. I saw that it had the red and the black wire with the flat round ends (grounding ends?) on it but where do those exactly connect to at the back of the Bose unit? I know you mentioned the cigarette lighter for one... very confused on that part.

Other than that, I might do a bit more research on which adapter I want to go with and make it a weekend project.
trust me it sounds harder then it is!

i have little-to-no electronic knowledge really either, but it's pretty easy. the dock adapter cable is an optional step. you can simply use the RCA to 3.5mm cable (you'll get one of these for free from most of the guys selling the PAC on ebay). but, the RCA to Dock cable gives you better sound. and even better, you have the option to use a powered RCA to Dock cable so it charges the iPod - this is where the wire tap you mentioned comes in.

the powered RCA to Dock cable (seen here) has two small wires in addition to the main RCA wires. the red one is for power and black for a ground.

the RCA to Dock cable has nothing to do with the back of the Bose. the RCA ends simply plug into the RCA jacks on the PAC.

more below on the other two small wires that might clear up some confusion for you.

the small red wire:
needs to be spliced into a power source in order to get it's power. the easiest and closest wire in the area you'll be working is the green power wire that goes to the cigarette lighter right next to the shifter. you can see it on the underside of the shifter cover in this pic.

a "wire tap" is just a small plastic piece that allows you to "tap" into another wire without having to cut, strip or splice any wires. you line the two wires up together in the wire tap and apply pressure. the wire tap pushes a small piece of metal into both wires - thus joining the two electrically. accomplishing the same thing as splicing two wires together to share a current.

you can get these at any hardware store. they are cheap and available packages of a dozen or so in a variety of sizes (based on how thick your wire is). 14-22 gauge is fine. here's what some look like.

the small black or ground wire:
simply grounds the whole deal - just like every live wire (usually red in color) in your house has an equal ground (almost always black in color). a ground wire is just a safety device more or less - its used in the case of a fault as somewhere the current on that wire can go and be absorbed by whatever it's grounded to - instead of short circuiting or shocking you.

install the black ground wire by unscrewing any metal screw that is screwed into something metal and insert the ground wire around the screw and reinsert it. at that point you've grounded the cable to that metal service in case of a fault. it's optional and will work fine without being grounded - but highly advised. you'll see several metal screws into metal parts right in the main area you'll be working in which you can ground.

does that help any?

Old 01-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by shimmy
Great write up and thread! I am leaning toward the USA Spec... I have an 06 with factory Bose/NAV and no SAT.

So how would I access the ipod? Is it Disc 6 on the CD changer?
you have a button on your Bose that says Radio - press it once to get AM stations, again for FM1, again for FM2 and finally again and again for SAT1 and SAT2. these SATs are the two inputs that the PAC/USA Spec provides.

so just cycle through the inputs by pressing the RADIO button on the Bose.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by gagt11
hows the volume the ipod/aux through the USA Spec compared to the CD Player/Radio?
The volume was great on either iPod/Aux.

I used the AUX to connect my HD Media Player w/TVNavandGo module so I can watch movie/video or listen to MP3 musics on my hacked GPS screen. No more burning MP3s into a CD. I just store all my MP3s to the 320GB Portable HD and connect it to the HD Media Player and play it in my car. Amazing sounds!!

Old 01-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Awesome explanation fishhouse. I'll get the parts I need in and give it a try soon.

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by fishhouse
you have a button on your Bose that says Radio - press it once to get AM stations, again for FM1, again for FM2 and finally again and again for SAT1 and SAT2. these SATs are the two inputs that the PAC/USA Spec provides.

so just cycle through the inputs by pressing the RADIO button on the Bose.
Thanks fishhouse. I don't currently have the the SAT1 & SAT2 options, but when I plug it in, I take it they'll be there...

Old 01-07-2009, 01:13 PM
yea i never even tried cycling through those options prior to my PAC - so not 100% sure if they are there before OR if they only show up once something is connected.

i'm thinking it will be like you said - they'll show up once you connect the PAC wiring harness.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im getting a little worried about the order i placed for my powered dock cable.... i ordered it on Dec. 30th and if i go to 'my account' on their site and check the status of the order, it says that my paypal payment was verified (on the 30th) but there have been no more recent updates since then

has anybody dealt with this company before?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: iPod/iPhone/MP3 integration in Coupe with PAC AAI-NIS2