Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

iPod/iPhone/MP3 integration in Coupe with PAC AAI-NIS2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
iPod/iPhone/MP3 integration in Coupe with PAC AAI-NIS2

just finished installing the PAC AAI-NIS2 Auxiliary Input Adapter unit into my 07 Coupe.

my setup was factory Bose, no Sat, the PAC unit, couple of RCA cables, Arkon air vent mount and my iPhone/iPod.

wanted to share a how-to in case anyone is looking to do a similar project.

many thanks to bradakrez who did a similar install and his post here. he has some awesome pics of the dash breakdown that i "borrowed".

enjoy!

you can view my install guide AND a Aux Input Adapter comparison chart at: myG35mods.com

Last edited by fishhouse; 01-30-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Lip
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very cool install. Thanks for the write-up.
One challenge I'm having is getting my iPhone 3g to work. I have an adapter, thus I can charge using my cable. No audio though.
I'm guessing I'm using either the wrong integration kit or the wrong cable or both-
Any thoughts there?
Thanks,
Lip

Old 11-26-2008, 01:01 AM
i actually have the same problem. my cable with the dock connection that i got off ebay only charges my iphone - no audio. but works fine on ipods.

so it think its your cable rather then your kit or install.

now, you can get RCA to dock cables on ebay that claims to work with the iphone and/or iphone 3g - but they are all white in color. i wanted black. not sure if they have power either.

anyways, my solution is to just use the 3.5mm cable for audio (since i ran both). accomplishes the same thing for me.

i did recently see this post and am wondering if this little thing would work for me - sounds like it might work for your 3g for sure:

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...1-nis-etc.html

Old 11-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Lip
Nice thanks for reply.
Interesting. Your a genius for installing the 3.5.
F*%k
Well maybe in the future, somebody will figure out the solution. For now, I'm buying an iPod Classic and I'll just leave the thing in the car.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:34 PM
yep, i'm going to do the same thing. going to get a Touch and just dock it in my vent mount and leave it there all the time.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Lip
So I went out and bought and iPod Classic, figuring I could return it. Now that charges just fine, without the adapter. Still no Audio. So I'm going to try and hunt down the new cable.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:41 PM
yea my dock cable works perfectly with my wife's nano like: this.

also, might be an obvious question here but are you sure you're selecting the right input on the head unit. for example, i have to hit my "radio" button a couple of times to get through FM, AM and then finally to the Sat inputs (Sat 1 being my dock cable and Sat 2 being my 3.5mm one). you sure you're on the right one?

did you double check that your cable is still plugged in good to the PAC? those RCA cable can come unplugged easy.

and is your "sat/no sat" switch set right on the PAC?

if none of those work out, you might want to try a new cable.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Lip
Yeah, everything is connected. And the iPod Classic is working like a champ. For some reason it took more time to start working. Now it works great. Not sure what that was all about. Maybe you were right about the loose cables. I'll check it out this weekend. Happy Turkey Day

Last edited by Lip; 11-27-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:55 PM
I read reviews on crutchfield that the volume from peripherals (iPod etc) from the pac AAI-NIS2 is lower than the CD and FM volumes. Have you experienced this?

Old 12-01-2008, 01:17 PM
good question! is there a difference? yes. is it bad? no.

let me explain:

iPhone/iPod connected via 3.5mm headphone cable:
with the volume at 50% on my iPhone/iPod, a good listening volume on the Bose is at about at number 20 (the volume goes from 0-30...#0 being no volume and #30 the loudest).

CD/Radio:
good listening volume is around #10.

so, yes there is a difference. but nothing that i even notice overall or would cause me to dislike the setup.

and keep in mind that's using the RCA to 3.5mm cable (that comes with the unit and most people use) - using an RCA to Apple Dock cable instead may help with the sound reduction. i read several posts during my research that said this was the case...but i'll test that next and let you know.

the minor sound difference isn't an issue imo - just turn the Bose up or the iPod volume.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks!

I'm trying to decide whether to go with this one -$99,

the USA Spec - $109-$130 (which adds control from the radio/steering wheel)

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA11...ce.html?tp=120

or the Nissan one - $190 (which allows control from radio/steering wheel AND displays track titles and such on the Bose radio)

http://www.g35parts.com/9083/osc/pro...4b1bebf8a9c593

I like the PAC and USA Spec because of their 2nd Auxiliary input

Old 12-01-2008, 04:54 PM
yea it's a tough call. i'm sure you read in my how-to my pros/cons of each...but just to summarize here:

Nissan Kit:
this one is cool because it does let you control it from HU and steering wheel. BUT, in a really
way that would drive me crazy. other cons would be it installs in the trunk and seemed more difficult to install. you can read more and purchase this here. that's just what i came across in my research - make your own conclusion.

USA Spec:
it too gives you some control and song information display - not sure how. but, i believe you can't use this with factory Sat (at least thats what several post i've come across say) nor with Bluetooth (at least that's what USA Spec's site says). not sure how accurate either of those are - again just what i came across in my research - make your own conclusion.

PAC AAI-NIS2:
it doesn't offer the controls or song information display as is, BUT you can add their optional SWI-X unit that gives you that ability. more on that unit here. it's the cheapest and lets you use factory Sat at the same time.

i think you could find many guys happy with each of these solutions here - really just what you think is best.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:31 AM
Get a USA Spec. - Yes, it does not work with an XM/Sirius Sat radio. You will need to decide which one to keep. SAT or iPod? Not both!!

- Bluetooth works fine.
- when you set the USA Spec as a Direct mode, you can control the iPod from wheel, radio control (up & down) or iPod itself.
- Your iPod is automatically charged when it plays
- No other cable connection is needed to connect your iPod. (if you need to use iPhone/iTouch, then you will need to get the adapter at Apple ~$25.
- You also have an additional Audio Input for DVD player, Game console, etc.

It's easy to install. It took me about 30 minutes to install it myself.

Last edited by Slvr G35; 12-03-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Update

for anyone else that might come across this thread in the future:

"which AUX input should i use" and/or "how to connect my iPod" are VERY common questions around here - and i recently had them too a month or so ago when i was looking for a way to connect my iPod/iPhone to my 07 Coupe.

there are 3 main solutions:

1. PAC (AAI-NIS2)
2. USA Spec (PAII-NIS)
3. Nissan iPod Interface Kit

each have their distinct pros/cons, features and price - you'll have to do the research and decide which works best for you.

but, i've just done a Auxiliary Input Adapter Comparison Chart that highlights the specs of all of them to help with your decision.

this is just from my personal research - i make no guarantees of accuracy.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
fishhouse, thanks for such an amazing chart

mods... please make this thread a sticky because fishhouse's chart is a very valuable tool for the members of this forum

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: iPod/iPhone/MP3 integration in Coupe with PAC AAI-NIS2