Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

PAC AAI-NIS2 iPod Adapter Installation Guide & 05+ Dash Removal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-17-2006, 02:46 AM
Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
PAC AAI-NIS2 iPod Adapter Installation Guide & 05+ Dash Removal

ok, i just wanted to post what i did... to help those that want to install their ipod to their OEM bose system and keep their satellite radio.....
here's my setup
'05 automatic
bose system, non-nav
sirius satellite, OEM
....so i read all the posts and i wanted to install my ipod but still keep my sirius satellite, so i could listen to HOWARD STERN!
this is what i bought.
1. PAC AAI-NIS2 (MP3car.com)
2. Belkin Auto Kit for iPod w/ Dock Connector F8V7058-APL (Fry's)
3. Y Audio cable (radioshack)
4. Car Power Adapter with Battery Clips (radioshack)
i basically followed the steps to remove the headunit from one of the threads here, plugged in the pac aai-nis2 to the radio (following the steps on the installation manual it came with), connected the rca part of the y audio cable to the rca (aux 1) on the pac aai-nis2, connected the other end of the y cable to to the belkin charger, plugged in the belkin charger to the CAR power adapter (i removed the battery clips so i could hardwire it), hardwired the power adapter to the cigarette lighter, then stuffed it all back in and ran the belkin dock connector/ipod connector out to the driver's side and plugged the ipod!!!! (phew!!!)....
to listen to the ipod, you basically hit the radio button on the head unit till SR2 comes up and then keep it on preset number 1. you cant control the ipod though through the steering wheel controls though but thats ok cuz its easier to scroll through the songs anyways on the ipod itself(faster??) and i keep the satellite!!!.....yipee

do u guys want pics of the install???? let me know cuz i can easily redo it and make a DIY!
here's the final product....just need the proclip!

problems......you have to compromise really to keep satellite radio
1. cant control ipod through steering wheel
2. the belkin charger....will constantly charge the ipod...which isnt gud on its battery
3. the sound from the ipod will only come out once a satellite signal is picked up...so you cant play the ipod at first if you have no clear satellite signal (like in the garage)....but once the signal is picked up, the ipod will still play even after you're parked in the garage (kinda weird)

gud things
1. ipod plus one more aux for whatever other mp3 player you want to hear through your car speakers
2. keep OEM satellite radio
3. ipod stays charged when engine is on and stops charging when engine off

oh well whatever you decide, there are always compromises...i guess....enjoy!

Last edited by bradakrez; 06-03-2006 at 07:23 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bradakrez:
kundan666 (11-18-2011), S 854 (07-03-2011), Wrathernaut (09-23-2012)
Old 05-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would definitely be interested in pics of the install! I'm new here, I just bought my 2006 G35 6MT with every option (see sig) on 5/12/06 and would like to hook up my ipod and keep the sirius as well. Is there no way to incorporate everything and use the steering controls for the ipod? I noticed you use the PAC AAI-NIS2, whats the difference between that and the USA Spec PA11-NIS? One of the other threads showed just using the USA Spec PA11-NIS only, but you lose the satellite apparently...Any detailed pictures would help since I haven't touched my car yet. Thank you and nice work!

Last edited by reelfreak; 05-18-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice install. I am interested in the install pictures as well. How easy was it and how long did it take you? Wasn't there a mass recall on the PAC AAI-NIS2?

Old 05-19-2006, 02:02 AM
ill take some pics on the weekend and do the DIY!!.....just was wondering if i should go through all the trouble ..well there was a recall of the pac aai-nis2 but they updated the version i think and they are working fine!....at least mine is!.....it was pretty easy doing this, but a little scary at first because of fear of messing up the interior, but you just have to be brave!!!.....you'll see when i do the diy...mr. REAL G actually did a DIY...but ill be happy to do one as well.

PAC NIIS2:
if you are keeping your OEM bose system, you cant control the ipod through your steering wheel BUT you keep SATELLITE..i setup mine so you can charge the ipod as well using the belkin charger......this will be clearer when i do the DIY!

USA Spec PA11-NIS:
it charges the ipod already and you can control ipod through steering wheel BUT NO SATELLITE!!!!

there are defintely compromises to each setup but i am really happy with mine.....everything stays stock and everything is easy to remove if i wanted to change it!....

it took about an hour doing it because of being new at disassembling the headunit...but it can really be done in less time....but i advise to not rush.....

Old 05-23-2006, 02:39 AM
sorry for delay, there's a problem i just discovered...for some reason there is some small cracking sounds when i increase the volume....i think i might have kept the belkin volume too high.....it seems there is some distortion.....ill get back to doing the DIY when i figure whats wrong...sorry

Old 05-24-2006, 04:58 AM
here it is! (DIY)

The following 7 users liked this post by bradakrez:
AJY (04-11-2012), blues3531 (01-14-2013), dj714 (10-05-2012), Tabris (04-03-2012), The Fixer (04-04-2016), Thruxtoned (01-12-2014), Wrathernaut (06-09-2011) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-24-2006, 05:03 AM
Talking

make sure everthing is back in place including clock trim pieces, silver trim and the negative battery terminal/cover...make sure, shift **** is working correctly.....thats it.....i didnt go into a detailed explanation, i think the pics speak for itself!!!....

EDITED (12/24/06)

look what my secret santa got me!!!
proclip vehicle mount....but not the holder...i used a universal mount

i also got this!!! yeah!

Last edited by bradakrez; 12-25-2006 at 12:01 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bradakrez:
2006g35sedan (04-02-2013), dj714 (10-05-2012), Wrathernaut (06-09-2011)
Old 05-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks bradakrez, this has to be the most detailed pictorial DIY I have seen. I'm sure my '04 is going to take a little more work to disassemble the dash, but now I have an idea of how to install it.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Awesome! Thanks so much for the DIY. Question - If you don't care about it charging, would you only need the Pac Aii-Nis2?

Old 05-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Talking

yup, you dont need the belkin charger, you can just plug the audio y-cable(with rca's) into the PAC AAI-NIS2 and the other end goes to the ipod (earphone jack) or any other MP3 player!!! you can actually use two rca cables, for aux 1 and aux 2.....MAKE SURE THAT IF YOU HAVE SATELLITE ALREADY INSTALLED, THAT YOU SWITCH THE PAC AAI-NIS2(on the side) to with sat.

Last edited by bradakrez; 05-24-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:12 PM
there is actually no distortion now that i lowered the belkin charger volume to 60%

Old 06-08-2006, 03:15 PM
I actually did this exact install last night in my '03 coupe. I have had the parts for several months but just got around to doing it. It works as stated, but I noticed that regardless of the volume level on the Belkin charger volume, the audio quality is EXTREMELY reduced over the audio quality of the i-pod directly to PAC AAI-NIS2.

When hooked directly up to the PAC adapter via y-cable, the audio was awesome. When I ran it through the Belkin adapter, there was a noticeable degredation. It was MUCH worse with the volume on the Belkin adapter up high, but even with it pretty low it was pretty bad.

1) Did you notice this?

2) are there any Unamplified options for line-out plus power from one plug? My whole reason for doing this was to have 1 plug for power and sound, but I don't want to lose sound quality.

Old 06-09-2006, 05:42 PM
I'm kind of out of my element here, but did you make sure the Sound Check option on your pod settings wasn't selected? That can seriously degrade my sound quality when using an itrip, so it could be the same here.

Just a thought. Great install! Those pics are very detailed and should be a really good help.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:54 PM
hey guys, i just found this online...maybe this will be better than the belkin....you dont need that radioshack female plug anymore...you can hardwire it directly!

http://www.autosound2000.com/ipodadapters.htm

ill look into this....

the sound is not that bad to my ears.....but im pretty sure the less wiring(going through the belkin), the better the quality...

i also feel like the volume/quality is lower when going through the belkin but i had to so i could charge it......again its so i can keep satellite....there was no other way then using the pac....

Last edited by bradakrez; 06-16-2006 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anyone know how the 6MT or navi may be different so far as taking apart the dash? I'm doing mine today and any advice would b much appreciateid.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: PAC AAI-NIS2 iPod Adapter Installation Guide & 05+ Dash Removal