Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lights dimming and car loosing power after installing audio system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Lights dimming and car loosing power after installing audio system

After installing my audio system (4080box with 10w6v2 sub and 500/1 amp) I noticed my lights flicker everytime the bass hits.

Its a bit annoying but what really worries me is the drop in power when am driving everytime high bass hits. I already upgraded the stock battery to a Mega-Tron 800amp battery but the problem still persist.

I think I might be hurting the car cause ever since I installed the system my service engine soon light came on

Does anyone know the best way to solve this problem? I hear cap don't really work, perhaps maybe putting another battery in the trunk or putting a farad, maybe doing the "Big 3".

I just want to get this fix before I do more damage to my car.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
a capacitor should fix the problem

although I've never heard of this problem in a G before.

are you sure your battery is good?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:03 PM
well my installer said my stock battery was kinda weak with only 500 amp so purchased a new one which is 800 amp but still I get the same issues althou not as bad as before.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by djphatinc
I got my amp replaced and everything has been ok since then. I also added a cap, which seems to help the sound but, not at all getting rid of the drop in power the car gets when the bass hits hard. So, either a bigger batter, a second battery, or an after-market altenator cause the loss in power to the car is just bothering me.
Seem am not the only one with this problem and as you can see from this post a cap did not really fix the problem.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i needed a cap for my setup too See below.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
should of gone with yellow top try the big three its ez and cheap/free

Old 12-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had a couple threads going about this issue before. I had the same problem. BAD. ANYTIME the bass would hit, my car would feel like it was lurching forward, or feel like i lost power when pressing the gas. It would also miss the transmission shifts, and cause MAJOR lag when the bass hit. I upgraded to a RED top, even more powerful than a yellow. If its not red, its whatever is above the yellow. Its a 1000 watt battery. It DEFINATELY did NOT fix the problem, but it did allow me to listen conservatively. If i turn the bass to -1 and the volume to 25 or higher, it starts to do it again. No dimming of the lights, but the problem with the tranny and the gas pedal. I also get TERRIBLE reception on my radio stations now. I think he connected it to a bad ground, and there is too much going on in my car. I want to bring it to another installer, but they are hard to come by now a days. Especially ones who know what they are doing and wont charge an arm and 5 legs for it. The more i think about it, the more it pisses me off. I have a cap, but the installer and everyone else on the boards said it wouldnt help, it would only hinder. Let me know if you find out anymore info. I might go this weekend if i get a chance, to have it looked at.

Forgot to mention - I have an 03 coupe, with the bose system and navi. NOTHING is upgraded except the same setup as the original poster. 4080box with 10w6v2 sub and 500/1 amp

OT: ANYONE KNOW ANY GOOD INSTALLERS IN THE LONG ISLAND/QUEENS/NY AREA?

Trending Topics

Old 12-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by eljoker
should of gone with yellow top try the big three its ez and cheap/free
I think I can still have replaced.
Will this fix the problem thou?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by Corvettekid
We had a couple threads going about this issue before. I had the same problem. BAD. ANYTIME the bass would hit, my car would feel like it was lurching forward, or feel like i lost power when pressing the gas. It would also miss the transmission shifts, and cause MAJOR lag when the bass hit. I upgraded to a RED top, even more powerful than a yellow. If its not red, its whatever is above the yellow. Its a 1000 watt battery. It DEFINATELY did NOT fix the problem, but it did allow me to listen conservatively. If i turn the bass to -1 and the volume to 25 or higher, it starts to do it again. No dimming of the lights, but the problem with the tranny and the gas pedal. I also get TERRIBLE reception on my radio stations now. I think he connected it to a bad ground, and there is too much going on in my car. I want to bring it to another installer, but they are hard to come by now a days. Especially ones who know what they are doing and wont charge an arm and 5 legs for it. The more i think about it, the more it pisses me off. I have a cap, but the installer and everyone else on the boards said it wouldnt help, it would only hinder. Let me know if you find out anymore info. I might go this weekend if i get a chance, to have it looked at.

Forgot to mention - I have an 03 coupe, with the bose system and navi. NOTHING is upgraded except the same setup as the original poster. 10w6v2, BRAND NEW 500/1 v2 amp, in the box made for our cars.
OT: ANYONE KNOW ANY GOOD INSTALLERS IN THE LONG ISLAND/QUEENS/NY AREA?
maybe is an issue with 03 cars since mines is also 03.
So getting a much powerful battery would not help also, hmm I guess I can scratch that one out.

I will try the "Big 3" and see if that helps.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It very well may just be an issue with our years. Do you have bose? navi?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Corvettekid
It very well may just be an issue with our years. Do you have bose? navi?
Bose but no navi althou I did installed my own CarPC see link below

Btw, did your "service engine soon" light ever came on because of this? am trying to figuere out if this is what caused it to come on since it did came after I had the system installed.

Last edited by Shincrono; 12-02-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do the big 3, it helps a little, 4 gauge wire to ground battery, engine, alternator. you dont replace you add the wires. I added my yellow top and did the big 2 (didnt connect to alternator yet) my ignition is faster and lights dont dim as bad. car audio experts say to stay away from capacitors. if you did all that the only thing you can do is go bigger alternator and it will fix all problems

Old 12-02-2008, 09:56 PM
I've only change the battery so far.
And the lights flickering a bit don't bother me as much as the engine stalling when the bass is high.

I was told by another user that this is caused by the fuel injertors cutting off.
Originally Posted by pattyskin
Oh by the way the "losing power" is your fuel injectors shutting off, they're electric, it is the same thing as bouncing your car off the rev limiter and having the fuel cut so I would definatly not reccomend doing this!
That can't be good. That might explain the service engine soon on my dashboard

Old 12-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i felt power loss big time. the car was alot slower then before. this is common when adding big audio equipment that take up alot of power. your making power for the audio equipment than your engine requires, disconnect your battery the black one for a couple hours and connect back, start up and see what happens

Old 12-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by jalilig35
i felt power loss big time. the car was alot slower then before. this is common when adding big audio equipment that take up alot of power. your making power for the audio equipment than your engine requires, disconnect your battery the black one for a couple hours and connect back, start up and see what happens
I am sorry for being such a noob but how exactly is that supposted to fix the
problem

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lights dimming and car loosing power after installing audio system