Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

MP3s in the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MP3s in the car

I am interested in playing mp3s in my G. I read some of the previous posts on ipods and the like, which is the way I think I want to go. Some of the posts mentioned that an AUX input will be coming out. This would be ideal. How is this going to work, and who is coming out with it. Any info and insight is appreciated.

Old 06-04-2004, 05:36 PM
G35driver.com Moderator
Re: MP3s in the car

yep that is correct. the path will be ipod->g35 aux connector by pac-audio.com->g35 headunit

the aux connector will work off of the sat button on your g35 headunit

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake/AVIC-N1-double-din

Old 06-04-2004, 06:12 PM

Hey Dubb
I've amassed a huge MP3 collection of approx. 20,000 tunes. I picked up a 20GB Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen (USB 2.0 ver. is a must) on Ebay for half of what it retails for after taxes...shipping included ($157), which is IMHO better than Ipod for much less $$.

I didn't want to tinker with the AUX on the head unit - at least for now - so I also got a Sony car adapter kit on Ebay for half price ($15). The car kit is comprised of a cassette adaptor which hooks up to the headphone jack on the Nomad and a 4.5-6v power adaptor (which keeps the player charged constantly and automatically shuts it down when the ignition is turned off and picks up where it left off when turned on again...which is AWESOME).

It's not a wireless setup, but I hardly even notice the wires where I keep the player. The sound quality is excellent and only limited to that of the bitrate your MP3s are. I did my research and found out that output sound quality is a major issue with Ipod owners, albiet their interface is a little more intuitive.

I am really enjoying this Nomad setup a lot. There's nothing like having 5,000+ tunes at your fingertips. You can mix playlists to suite your every mood. Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you wind up doing.

04' Sedan / AT / Ivory Pearl / Willow / Premium

Old 06-04-2004, 06:24 PM

I bought a modded xbox with a 120GB HD and am in the process of getting that setup to be an mp3 source for my car as well as game source, that is the next stage of my project so not sure about the installation. Anyone done this before

Old 06-04-2004, 06:27 PM

I've got an iPod and am using a tape adapter and charger in the car and am very pleased with the quality.
An RCA into the head unit would be better, I'm sure, but the tape adapter sounds pretty dang good.

I haven't heard of a "major issue" regarding output sound quality. I haven't had any problems with quality from the iPod--not at home, nor on the road.

Old 06-04-2004, 06:48 PM
fnt

There's an article about installing iPods in cars in the June issue of Macworld. Although it's about the iPod, much of it also applies to other digital music players.

Old 06-04-2004, 07:39 PM

You are right. "Major" sound issues wouldn't be entirely accurate to describe the Ipod. I did a google web and group search on "Ipod sound" and had too many hits containing negative feedback. It's was also mentioned more than once in side-by-side comparisons at forums. This might have been applicable to first generation Ipods w/o firmware updates too. In the end though, it was the Ipod price tag and all of the glowing reports I read that swayed me towards the Zen. It's also assuring knowing that Creative is a leader in the computer audio market and I have owned their products prior.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

I went a different route. I had my old 6cd Alpine MP3 changer, and found out the CHA-1667RF supported the changer, so I had my changer installed in my trunk with the remote unit in the cubbyhole. Yes it's FM, so the quality isn't the best, but when you consider mp3 to BEGIN with isn't the best quality, it's not such a big deal. It sounds great, and I am not kidding that I've yet to turn my radio on since I put my changer in.

2004 G35s 5AT DG/Graphite/Premium/Huper Optik Tint

Old 06-04-2004, 10:25 PM

StevieRay,

do you find that the volume of the Zen + tape adapter to be lower then your CD player? (i.e. you have to turn the volume up more when you switch from CD or Radio to your Zen?)

Old 06-05-2004, 01:13 AM

i have an ipod in my car through the aux input and it sounds great. I had the tape player before, but the sound quality wasn't all that. It's definitely worth it.

04 G35C 6mt/aero kit/nav/premium

Old 06-05-2004, 03:22 PM

Despite what many people may think, not all cassette adaptors are created equal. I you go with a generic cass. adaptor, you will more than likely experience volume and sound quality issues. This happened to me several years ago when I used a portable CD player setup in my car. So, at first, I was reluctant to go this route. In the end, I'm glad I took the chance. The consensus seems to be that Sony makes the best cass. adaptors. It may cost a little more, but I think it's entirely worth seeking out Sony because the results are proven to be excellent (not just by me). For the volume level with the Nomad, you need to expirement. If you turn the volume on the player up to 20-22, the volume is comparable to that of the CD player. At least this is the case with the G35 premium package which has the 200watt Bose system and sub. Lets just say that it can get too loud for me pretty quickly, at the 10-12 range on the head unit (that's plenty more volume to go before peaking). Of course, I must be getting old... I don't really care if I rattle the windows of passersby.

Old 06-05-2004, 09:21 PM

From what I understand, the PAC Aux in unit will be the closest thing to nearly perfect sound from your sound source (obviously depending on that). I am looking for a MP3 source as well....

I have a xBox modded running through my Av Electronic box. It sounds good, but I want it a little better. Pac is what I will use instead... The only problem with the xBox is that I can't get the tracks/playlists to resume when I turn off my car...

Anyone know how to correct this?

---------------------------------
**** Official PAC Aux Input Dealer!!! ****
PM me for more info...

Navi-Conversion Kits at Discounted Pricing
*Authorized AV Electronic Dealer*

Old 06-08-2004, 09:24 PM

Search for my post with the topic "PhatBox Installed". Maybe you'd like to go that route if you want a clean solution but are prepared to pay a bit of cash.