Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Garmin Nuvi 760 Install with pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
real nice.. it looks great to me.. u have more pictures of it turned on and stuff like that :-)

Old 01-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acr
interesting, it looks like you have dual zone climate control but no premium package. did you replace the radio at some point, or solder in your own dual button?
The Canadian version of the car either came fully loaded or bare bones...the only other option was navigation...so I got fully loaded (sunroof, 19" rims, metal pedals etc) but no navigation...I think the cars that came out in '05 in the States had a lot more options...

Old 01-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by broke_as_ajoke
real nice.. it looks great to me.. u have more pictures of it turned on and stuff like that :-)
Here's another I took.
Happy to hear you like the way it turned out!

Old 01-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice, im thinking about picking up the garmin nuvi 880 from

http://www.86photovideo.com/products...oduct_id=18634

does anyone else have pictures of the nuvi mounted in the cubby?

thanks

Old 03-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Hate to bump and old-ish thread, but I'm just curious if anybody can comment on the reception of the their GPS in the cubby location. I have a Garmin Nuvi and this seems like a perfect location to mount it... I just want to be sure there is no issue with reception. Thanks for any replys.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ucf52
Hate to bump and old-ish thread, but I'm just curious if anybody can comment on the reception of the their GPS in the cubby location. I have a Garmin Nuvi and this seems like a perfect location to mount it... I just want to be sure there is no issue with reception. Thanks for any replys.
The reception on my NUVI 760 is pretty poor with the internal antenna. I actually installed an external one on the back of the rear view mirror and routed the cable back to the cubby. Signal is greatly improved

Old 03-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
The reception on my NUVI 760 is pretty poor with the internal antenna. I actually installed an external one on the back of the rear view mirror and routed the cable back to the cubby. Signal is greatly improved
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the response... I guess I'll look into the external antenna addition.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:22 PM
did you use the regular car charger that connects to the piece that holds the garmin or did you just glue the bare garmin and using the usb charger?

Old 03-21-2009, 10:08 AM
This is a great thread. It pushed me over the hump earlier this year when I was debating whether or not to hold off on buying my current G or to find the exact one with navi. I ended up getting a great deal and the only one with navi I found was $3500 more. I plan on going this route with the Garmin 885 (I hear the voice commands actually work).

Kind of weird that UCF posted his question (b/c I am in Otown too) but I never thought of there being a reception problem but I could definitely see that being an issue. Does anyone have any input for receipt quality in the cubby with the newest generation of Garmins? I believe the 760 was last years and I know my wife's 265 seems to have a leg up on her sisters 260 and that is with the 200 series not the higher end 700/800 series.

Redlude, so you installed an external antenna behind the rear view mirror? Can you explain more? I have never used an external piece for these portable GPS units and I am curious about the details. Did you run it with the wires with the homelink mirror similar to how people provide power to their wires for radar detectors? If so how connect the antenna piece to the garmin? Any pics or DIY? I am planning this install soon so I appreciate as much info as you have. The last thing I want to do is drop $400+ and a Saturday afternoon to find out reception is going to go in and out all the time.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by SoxUcf
Kind of weird that UCF posted his question (b/c I am in Otown too) but I never thought of there being a reception problem but I could definitely see that being an issue. Does anyone have any input for receipt quality in the cubby with the newest generation of Garmins?
Hey Sox, I'm going to do a test run with my Garmin temp mounted in the cubby hole via velcro using the internal antenna. I have a nuvi 200w and their is no external antenna option for me

Anyways, I assume signal strength for the internal antenna will be roughly the same for the nuvi series. I'll report back my results.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Ok sounds good. I am curious to hear how it goes, especially b/c we drive in the same area.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by SoxUcf
Ok sounds good. I am curious to hear how it goes, especially b/c we drive in the same area.
I just got some heavy duty velcro... I'll post my findings later today.

EDIT: Well, I just got back from running some errands and the GPS worked just as it does when it's on the glass, so I'll be making a better mount for it and it's staying.

Last edited by ucf52; 03-23-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Good it hear.... did you make the mount yet? What do you plan using?

Old 03-29-2009, 01:51 AM
looks clean
could you listen to the navi through your speakers too?

Old 07-04-2009, 06:29 AM
Is there any way to use the power from the mirror to power the unit. Rather than mounting into the cubby, keeping the unit high on the window, next to the mirror. Then use an adapter to link into mirror power?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Garmin Nuvi 760 Install with pics