Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Stock amp to kicker amp questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock amp to kicker amp questions

Can I disconnect the stock 8" sub, run the speaker wires to another amp, then power a 12" sub? Will I run into problems connecting the stock amp's speaker outs to a more powerful amps input?

- NICNoobie
2003.0 AT Brilliant Silver Sedan
Premium\Graphite\Clear Corners\AEM Intake (w/BV)\Eibach Pro Kit\Eibach Sways

"Why are you my English not being understanding?"

Old 06-15-2004, 09:46 AM
Re: Stock amp to kicker amp questions

Do not use the Bose amps signal... its bad news. It will work but your sound will not be as nice is it should be. Use a good LOC and connect it before the bose amp to get a signal. You will have much better sound.

"Dont start none, Wont be none"

Old 06-15-2004, 02:11 PM

out of curiosity where is our sub? i didnt think we had one since it wasnt mentioned on the package or in the manual.

2004 6MT Coupe Graphite/Graphite / Performance / Premium / Sirius / Navigation / Clear Bra / Aero / Trunk Mat / Splash

Old 06-15-2004, 02:48 PM

The Sedan has a powered sub, where the coupe has two 6x9s. On the Sedan, the signal going to the sub not only goes through the Bose amp, but (according to the schematics), a second amplifier near the speaker. It'd probably be better to get at the signal before it goes into either amp.

Old 06-15-2004, 03:09 PM

The sedan does, but what about the coupe w/ premium package? Please say yes

2004 6MT Coupe Graphite/Graphite / Performance / Premium / Sirius / Navigation / Clear Bra / Aero / Trunk Mat / Splash

Old 06-15-2004, 05:29 PM

i got signal from the input side of the Bose amp in the trunk. I just soldered on some RCA's to the wire and plugged them right in to my sub amp. it works fine. the signal from the calrion HU is already low level so you really dont need to use a LOC. i just then disconnected the factory subs(6x9) at the spkrs and ride out. IMO it works the best this way. the colors for the RCA's are PInk&drk blue , pink is center and drk blue is shield. and Green&purple, Grn is shield and purple is center. Lt blue is ignition , u can use it for amp turn on if u want to . just cut one end off the rca's and soldef them on to these wires and u should be good 2 go. oh yeah these wires are in the blue plug on the bose amp they should allready be twisted together as pairs inside of a thicker shielded casing. good luck<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by h2omaan on 06/15/04 03:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-15-2004, 09:49 PM

The output of the Clarion is not low level. Try hooking a speaker up to it and see what happens. The base system comes with the same HU, only difference is they route those connections directly to the speakers. The G35 shop manuals confirm the outputs of those wires should output the same signal on premium and non-premium systems.

You can sometimes force-feed speaker level output into a low level amplifier input and have it work (ever plugged a receiver into the headphone output instead of the line output of a portable CD player before?). When the HU amp sees the ~600 ohm impedance from the line level input, it inherently puts out a weak signal. My biggest concern is hooking up the green wire to the sheild connection. The output of the Clarion is probably a two wire differential signal, and by hooking part of that up to the shield, you may be shorting half of the output directly to ground, depending on how the input on the amp is designed.

Here's a little write up about the difference between differential and single-ended inputs that explains it pretty well. Generally speaking, when you have twisted pair media it's usually supposed carry a differential signal. When you have coaxial cabling (such as RCAs) it's usually single ended with the shielding connected to a ground. I'm not an electrical engineer so I may be using some of the wrong terms, someone feel free to elaborate or correct me as necessary.

<a href="http://www.microlink.co.uk/differential.html">http://www.microlink.co.uk/differential.html</a>

It's a much better idea to get a LOC and have your system electrically kosher, otherwise you could fry your head unit, amp, or both.

Old 06-15-2004, 10:31 PM

I've been running that set up for about a year now and have never had a problem. It sounds fine. Im using a Phoenix Gold TI1000.2 amp.

Old 06-17-2004, 01:00 PM

I don't doubt that it works for you. Lots of amps have isolated shields as part of their efforts towards eliminating ground loops. I just have resevations about recommending that in general as it may not work the same with every amp. LOCs are pretty inexpensive devices, seems like a better idea to just use them and be safe.

-- Rob