Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Where are you guys mounting your GPS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where are you guys mounting your GPS?

I just bought an 03' DP G35 6MT and I love it! Um, question though..the interior doesn't seem to allow great options for mounting my TomTom. Any suggestions? Do you guys have pics you could share where you've mounted your GPS?! It won't seem to stick on the leather dash (upper)..and there's nowhere flat on the center console to mount it. I really want to mount it...my parents gave it to me for xmas, and I don't want it going to waste.
/c

Old 01-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Someone mounted theirs in there useless cabin where the factory navigation is.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chrischil
I just bought an 03' DP G35 6MT and I love it! Um, question though..the interior doesn't seem to allow great options for mounting my TomTom. Any suggestions? Do you guys have pics you could share where you've mounted your GPS?! It won't seem to stick on the leather dash (upper)..and there's nowhere flat on the center console to mount it. I really want to mount it...my parents gave it to me for xmas, and I don't want it going to waste.
/c
I keep my Garmin on the very lower part of the windshield, almost touching the top of the dash. The suction cups are really strong and it holds well. I always take it out after leaving the car. Many sickos breaking into cars these days.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by keff108
Someone mounted theirs in there useless cabin where the factory navigation is.
How did they mount it though? That material is like carpet or something.

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I keep my Garmin on the very lower part of the windshield, almost touching the top of the dash. The suction cups are really strong and it holds well. I always take it out after leaving the car. Many sickos breaking into cars these days.
Is yours in the center windshield or further to the left (driver-side)? I wanted to keep mine near the driver-side if i went w/ the windshield mount, but then if it needs charging, i dont want the cords hanging all across/under my steering wheel...

Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts
Mount where ever it's easy for you too look and the road is not out of your eye sight. Becareful though, take everything off when you leave the car. Even the suction cup, ppl will break your car if they see the suction cup.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
i put my gps in the cabin where the stock navi. goes. i wedge it between the lower edge and the cover.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Here a simple Search got me this right away:

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...y-removal.html

Old 01-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
cubby install is the only clean way to do it. just say no to windshield mounts!

Old 01-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have a Navigon suction mount that can bend and collapse...when collapsed it fits really snug where the analog clock is.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by bocatrip
I keep my Garmin on the very lower part of the windshield, almost touching the top of the dash. The suction cups are really strong and it holds well.
Ditto for me - to the right of the instrument cluster, and I run the cord down through the gap in between the cluster and the center finisher. I twisty-tie the excess cord length so it's clean and doesn't hang down.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock nav FTW

Old 01-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chrischil
How did they mount it though? That material is like carpet or something.

Is yours in the center windshield or further to the left (driver-side)? I wanted to keep mine near the driver-side if i went w/ the windshield mount, but then if it needs charging, i dont want the cords hanging all across/under my steering wheel...
Closer to the driver's side, a little left of the rear view mirror, but very close to the top of the dashboard. This way it does not block my view and is very convenient to see. Also, the charging cord is not a problem as the distance to the receptical for charging is very close.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would def. install the GPS in the stock GPS cubby. I just did it a few months ago and am very pleased. Its a great viewing location, looks clean, and you can open and close the cubby with most GPS units. I included a few pics...they came out very dark; sorry! If you want an aftermarket XM, you can mount it in the ashtray area like mine...need a small unit though.

I had them both wired professionally by a stereo shop too.

Attached Thumbnails Where are you guys mounting your GPS?-100_0385.jpg   Where are you guys mounting your GPS?-100_0387.jpg  
Old 01-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Parker6, looks cool, but I dont wanna do any wiring or anything (at least not just yet). This is what I just came up w/ guys...I just tried using the suction cup oni the side of the cluster/dash...it's a dark pic, but i edited it best I could in photoshop..any suggestions on this?!?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks ok...you think it will stay with the suction cup? Seems unstable to me. Why no on the wiring? They just hook it up into the backside of the cigarrete lighter area. Any stereo place will do it...Best Buy, etc. I had mine done with Nebraska Furniture Mart for about $50.

I dont know if your unit would fit into the cubby area though. Looks taller than mine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where are you guys mounting your GPS?