Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Phatbox is pretty fat!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Phatbox is pretty fat!

I can't download the wavs, they require passwords.

I just ordered mine today. I can't wait! At first I thought the whole voice thing sounded kludgy, but being able to navigate through my collection without looking at a display is really quite a benefit now that I'm reading about how it works.

- Rob

Old 06-19-2004, 09:01 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got to see redwillow's Phatbox in action last night and I was quite impressed. I think it's worth the money if you're into music. The sound was very clear and there was no waiting for the files to load. The scrolling/searching and voice prompts are very fast and clear. The box itself takes up less trunk space than a newspaper.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
G35Driver.com Business Cards

Old 06-19-2004, 03:42 PM

Ah crap i'll fix it later today....at work atm
/nerf work on my days off!

'04 6 spd MT Diamond Graphite / Graphite Prem, Aero

Old 06-22-2004, 11:45 AM

If you have a sat radio already, can you still use a Phat box?

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 06-22-2004, 01:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm not really sure, you could not use it with the beta cable, because it connects to the sat prewire plug in the trunk. But you may be able to use it with the standard cable that connects directly to the back of the head unit. The software sent with it uses the CD button on the bose to switch between CD and phatbox, so there would not be any conflict with use of the sat button....might want to check with phatnoise about that.

03 6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero, splash guards, alum pedals, clear corners, limo tint, Phatbox 40g mp3 player

Old 06-22-2004, 02:04 PM

The CD changer and SAT cables are one in the same. If you look back you'll see people are hooking up to the SAT prewire and getting the CD changer interface. It is a bus system of some sort (they call it N bus or something like that), so it's theoretically possible to have both.

I asked Phatnoise about it. They first responded about their beta SAT cable. When I re-asked they didn't get back to me whether or not it would work. When I get mine I'm going to experiment with it.

My Sirius SAT has a pass-through connector which I assume is meant for connecting a CD changer. So if the Phatbox works as a CD changer I can't see why it wouldn't work if you can get the physical connection done.
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by djrobx on 06/22/04 11:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-22-2004, 03:29 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

My Sirius SAT has a pass-through connector which I assume is meant for connecting a CD changer

<hr></blockquote> you are totally right. I remember now the XM tuner also has another passthru or some sort of plug on the other side of it. So i guess it would be possible to use that to physically connect both a phatbox and a sat tuner in the trunk. Have not actually heard of anyone running them both though.

With the phatbox i have noticed some significantly better sound. I can hear things in songs playing on the phatbox that i could not hear listening to the CD. There is less distortion at higher volumes and the bass seems better than with a CD. Found a neat feature...you can hit the "scan" button anytime during a song and it will announce "Artist is Puff Daddy", "Album is Puffy and Family", "Genre is rap". Did some math and it looks like the 40g cartridge will hold over 8000 songs on it.

03 6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero, splash guards, alum pedals, clear corners, limo tint, Phatbox 40g mp3 player

Old 06-22-2004, 04:06 PM

I can second everything said here. The Phatbox rocks. I've had a 40GB hooked up for about a month and love having all my music with me (and no CD cases all over the floor!). The sound quality is excellent. I'd thought about buying one for a while, and am so glad I got it. Totally worth it.

I even chose the G over the RX-8 because the RX8 wasn't compatible with the PhatBox. (Well, that wasn't the only reason. <g>)

---
2004 6MT Desert Plat
40GB PhatBox

Old 06-22-2004, 09:10 PM

Mine shipped today. I went for the 40GB also. I couldn't see springing another $100 for more, but didn't want be stuck with the base. Oh, the anticipation. I wonder which cable they sent me.

-- Rob

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by djrobx on 06/22/04 06:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-22-2004, 09:45 PM

the 40 gigger is really big. I have allready gone through dozens of cds and put the songs i wanted from them on it. The software for ripping (cd to mp3 files) is excellent, very easy to use.

Also put on some additional mp3's....i have around 300 songs on it right now. Does not sound like much, but when every song is hand picked and available for immediate access it is alot. Don't think i will get near filling it up anytime soon....if ever.

Old 06-23-2004, 12:05 PM

Anyone open the music cartridge to replace the hard drive? Should be straightforward... considering an 80GB laptop hard drive is only $165.

Old 06-23-2004, 12:20 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

i see.... so 20GB should be MORE than enough. I used to know people who download mp3's like mad back in the napster days.... and they only had 11GB of mp3's.... so the 20GB cartridge should be MORE than enough.

Consider each mp3 to be 5MB, so a 20GB drive should house about 4,000 songs!!! Thats about 300 CD's!!!!

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake/AVIC-N1-double-din

Old 06-23-2004, 02:55 PM

that is very true...4000 good songs that you pick yourself is quite a bit. Also, you can get the mp3's in diff bit rates. You could use the smaller size, 128 bit or 112 mp3s on there if you really wanted to pack them on.

I am putting the 128 and 192 bit rate mp3s on mine, and even the 128 ones sound better than CD.

Old 06-24-2004, 11:16 PM

Got my phatbox and put it in today. Simple to install, and it does work great, but I really need to organize my virtual "discs" better. And yes, through the SAT wire it's using the DISC button. I had some initial trouble with the software but the cause was a bad USB 2.0 port on my computer. Love the integration but I need to play with it more to learn how to really work it. Only other negative is that the SAT interface cable they include is really short, you can't really mount the phatbox anywhere other than that corner. Very sweet device though. So far very happy.

-- Rob

Old 06-25-2004, 09:29 AM

yeah, it seems like tagging and organizing the mp3 files is a real chore. I am trying to work on a group of mp3 files every day till i get them all uploaded and tagged properly.

I wonder if it would be possible to use another infiniti sat prewire cable to extend the existing sat prewire cable.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Phatbox is pretty fat!