Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Trunk release problems on 2003 G Coupe

Old 02-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk release problems on 2003 G Coupe

Trunk release not working for over 1 months now. Both remote and switch inside car do not work. Valet switch inside glovebox is set to 'on'.
Checked fuse which is ok. Checked for 12 volts at trunk latch inside trunk and there is no voltage.
I believe it's either the relay which sends the 12 volts to the trunk latch but I do not know where this is located, or it's a bad valet switch inside the glovebox.
Can anyone help me on this?

After I found the hidden red emergency rear seatback opening cord (in between the rear seat crease, next to the non-existant center armrest), and got the seatback open to access the trunk. (See owners manual for this procedure.)
I temporarily attached a string tied to the emergency trunk release inside the trunk and I have it laying in the back seat. I just pull on it and it opens the trunk for now.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:34 AM
try completely replacing the fuse, sometimes the fuse can look good but it's really blown. If you aren't getting power down that line sometimes the easiest thing to do is run a new constant power to that fuse area. but replace your fuse first.

Also check all the other fuses as well. sometimes there are integrated circuits that if one isn't getting power it may not give power to the others.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Replaced the fuse and ohm'd out the rest of the fuses with a meter. Fuse not the problem.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Gidyup
Trunk release not working for over 1 months now. Both remote and switch inside car do not work. Valet switch inside glovebox is set to 'on'.
Checked fuse which is ok. Checked for 12 volts at trunk latch inside trunk and there is no voltage.
I believe it's either the relay which sends the 12 volts to the trunk latch but I do not know where this is located, or it's a bad valet switch inside the glovebox.
Can anyone help me on this?

After I found the hidden red emergency rear seatback opening cord (in between the rear seat crease, next to the non-existant center armrest), and got the seatback open to access the trunk. (See owners manual for this procedure.)
I temporarily attached a string tied to the emergency trunk release inside the trunk and I have it laying in the back seat. I just pull on it and it opens the trunk for now.
The trunk latch will not show any voltage until the button is pressed. It is a 12V VDC pulse. When you press the button, do you see a 12V pulse on the trunk release with a volt meter?

Also try splicing into the trunk release under the dash - should be a blue and white wire that is connected to the trunk release button. The blue wire carries the 12V and the white is a ground. When the button is pressed, it completes the circuit and the 12V pulse is sent to the trunk release through the BCM (body control module). Worst case scenario is that your BCM is faulty but that is a long shot.

theoretically if you connect the blue and the white wire from the trunk release under the dash the trunk should release. If not, then you are not getting power to that button and there is your problem. There is no relay persay, the BCM is what recieves the 12V current from the switch and then sends the 12V pulse to the trunk release.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
did you work on your audio system recently or had the glove box removed? If the button in the glove box is not plugged into the harness your trunk won't open.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:29 AM
you are lucky I happened to be reading your thread. The problem is most likely to be the wire inside your truck. There is a rubber tube that encloses the spoiler and trunk wires and connect from the body of the car to the truck lid. I'm 99% sure that some wires in there are broken. Any 2003/04 will go through this. splice back the wires and you will be fine.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Thumbs up Thanks STILLENRedline!

STILLENRedline dead on! The 2 black and 1 red wires were completely disconnected! Took a chance and wired the 2 black ones together (50/50 chance) & spliced the red to one another! All good & back in business~! Thanks again STILLENRedline!

Attached Thumbnails Trunk release problems on 2003 G Coupe-rewired-trunk.jpg  
Old 03-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My trunk light hasn't worked for years and a few days ago my trunk release stopped working. I searched this site and found this thread so I took a look at those wires also. Within the rubber sleeve (between the trunk and car body) the wires were in very rough shape, three of them were broken and a few more ready to break.
So if you have a problem with the trunk release, trunk light, or the spoiler mounted brake light these wires are probably the best place to look first.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:17 PM
awesomeness. green wire was cut. spliced up and works great again

Old 04-03-2009, 01:13 AM
Well weather was finnally warm enough to work on the trunk latch problem and just as you guys called it, there was a broken wire in the black rubber tube insulator at the trunk opening. Soldered the severed green wire going to the trunk relay and it's been working ok since. I guess it's a matter of time before the other wires also break but now I know what to look for.
Thanks for all your help.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the DIY, this forum is full of great ones especially for the 2003 problematic 1st gen, geez...........

My green one was completely cutoff, other ones are ok so far, crossing fingers.

Just a word of caution when I was stripping the stock sleeves they are so thin it's very easy to cut right through them.

Not sure why Infiniti installed such thin wires and with no slack, the ones I got from Walmart had stronger and thickers sleeves.

Originally Posted by Gidyup
Well weather was finnally warm enough to work on the trunk latch problem and just as you guys called it, there was a broken wire in the black rubber tube insulator at the trunk opening. Soldered the severed green wire going to the trunk relay and it's been working ok since. I guess it's a matter of time before the other wires also break but now I know what to look for.
Thanks for all your help.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:53 AM
how exactly do i splice these wires back together? should i use more wire ? if so wat guage wire do i need? and should i just cut all the wires and splice them to avoid this problem later on?

Old 06-04-2009, 02:11 AM
Bump.. Someone help please

Old 07-20-2009, 04:11 PM
I have a 03 sedan and my trunk will not close or latch. Could it be these wires also?

Old 07-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Well whatever it was I fixed it. After pulling the white handle and replacing it I noticed a thin wire at the bottom of the felt on the trunk lid, I fiddled with it. tucking it back up on the sticky square that looked like it might have held it. And then closed it and it worked

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trunk release problems on 2003 G Coupe