Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

PAC audio SWI-X or SWI-V

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PAC audio SWI-X or SWI-V

I have had my custom stereo install for a while now. I had a ECLIPSE DV3101 hideaway dvd player installed in the rear arearest of my coupe. (http://www.eclipse-web.com/products/av/top.html#dv3101)

I am very happy with it but have been running it through an FM modulator until my order of the PAC audio sat aux input comes in. Well I just got my aux input adapter and will be installing it this weekend.

The next thing I would like to do is get ride of the DVD player remote. I have the stock bose headunit. I was hoping someone might be able to key me in to whether I should get the SWI-X or SWI-V to take care of my remote issues.

I am pretty sure the SWI-V is the one I need. Does anyone have any experience with it? If you've installed it could you share its working experience with me. As much info about how user friendly or whatever would be awesome.

Thanks ahead of time!!!

Old 06-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Re: PAC audio SWI-X or SWI-V

I think the SWI-V is the one you want. It allows the steering wheel controls to be 'dual-purpose', to control the factory stereo and also an aftermarket device. You pick a mode button on the steering wheel and that switches to controlling the aftermarket device. Ex: pressing the Track-Up button would send that command to the stock Bose system; but pressing your chosen Mode button first and then Track-Up within 1.5 secs will send whatever IR command you programmed to the aftermarket device. Note: I've never used a SWI-V, just a SWI-X, but I've read the installation manuals for it. (And I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night)

~John

Old 06-28-2004, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the Reply JohnBoy. I've decided like you said the SWI-V is the one to go with for my type of installation usage. However I was wondering how the application of it works. Pressing the mode button would change the mode right away wouldnt it? Wait let me rephrase that.... If I pressed MODE and then within 1.5 seconds pressed track up, wouldnt the BOSE headunit change the mode and then apply the track up to the new mode selected, or does it know to wait for the 1.5 seconds before activating the given command? I think I might have to put a call into PAC.

Anyone out there using the SWI-V for dvd player control?

Old 06-28-2004, 04:04 PM

The mode button will only get relayed to the stock unit if it is held down for more than 1.5 secs. So you can still use it for the radio but with a small delay. You can also use the mode button as a command for the DVD player. Pressing mode and then mode again within 1.5 secs will send the dvd player whatever ir command you programmed to Mode. Hope that clears it up some.