Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Tired of OEM Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2009 | 02:50 PM
|
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
Tired of OEM Battery Drain

not sure whether to put this in engine forum or electronics, but here it is since I know you big stereo guys know about good battery power.

I only drive my 05 G coupe sparringly in winter and she sits most of the time. I do not have anything special in terms of stereo, navigation, DVD or other electronics, only the base car minimum. sometimes I disconnect the negative cable if I think the car is going to sit for a longer than expected time, but if I forget, usually within five days the car is dead. once I jump her she is fine, but I am tired of dealing with this issue. a battery should not go dead after a cars sits for a week. I did a seach and it seems others out there have a similar problem with the OEM battery which is not maintenance free. I only have 27K on the car and I find this ridiculous. my 03 Passat still has the original battery and starts after the car has sat for extended periods of time.

with that being said, I am in the market for a new, stronger, lighter weight, maintenance free battery. I have searched Braille, Optimum and other brands, but can't seem to come to a decision and would appreciate some help.

can anyone provide a recommendation on a battery that meets the criteria I have listed above that will not go dead after sitting for a week?

thanks in advance.

Old 03-07-2009 | 08:07 PM
I have this exact same problem. Let it sit a week in the winter and the battery will be near dead. Dealer could not find a problem with the charging system nor the drain. In any case, I bought a battery tender jr (float charger) which comes with permanent terminals you can connect to your battery and access from the windshield wiper area. Makes it easy to connect the charger. I thought about the battery too but not so sure it's a battery capacity problem.

Old 03-07-2009 | 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by mishmosh
I have this exact same problem. Let it sit a week in the winter and the battery will be near dead. Dealer could not find a problem with the charging system nor the drain. In any case, I bought a battery tender jr (float charger) which comes with permanent terminals you can connect to your battery and access from the windshield wiper area. Makes it easy to connect the charger. I thought about the battery too but not so sure it's a battery capacity problem.
Something is draining your battery.

I have an 07 G35 and I just returned from a one month holiday and I left it parked in the snow in below freezing weather and it started perfectly with no problems and it was sitting in those conditions for 5 weeks. This car is always outside, no garage.

Old 03-07-2009 | 09:48 PM
yea, either bad battery or something is draining it. mine sat for 2 months, started right up like i had it started the day before

Old 03-07-2009 | 11:22 PM
something is draining your battery. do you have an aftermarket alarm? or anything that could be running when the car's off and locked?

Old 03-07-2009 | 11:39 PM
This happened to me before.. come to find out the guy that installed my airhorns didnt put a relay or something and that was draining my battery.

Old 03-08-2009 | 12:30 PM
|
like I mentioned in the original post, I do not have any electronics that could drain the battery. I always make sure eveything is shut down before I turn the car off. this has never happened before since I have owned the car, so I am going to assume it is the battery. by the way, the 05 does not have a maintenance free battery, but I am sure the 07's have.

as long as the car is driven regularly, there is no issue. I have let the car sit in the past with no issue, it is only this year. I will have it checked out, but I am sure it is the cheap OEM battery. if so, any suggestions on a replacement?

Old 03-17-2009 | 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by DRG35R
I have let the car sit in the past with no issue, it is only this year. I will have it checked out, but I am sure it is the cheap OEM battery. if so, any suggestions on a replacement?
Yeah, it's a cheap OEM battery, probably made by Exide. There are many 05-06 Frontiers with this issue and it's time to buy a new battery. Suggest anything made by Johnson Controls, which includes walmart's Everstart Maxx, many of the costco/kirkland brand, some diehards, and others. Look for Johnson Controls on the top in small letters. Good Luck.

Old 03-18-2009 | 03:53 PM
|
^ my mechanic recommended Interstate. from my searches here it appears Duralast Gold is a good choice as well...made by Johnson Controls.

thinking about going with an Optima Red Top.