Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

VIPER 5901 remote start alarm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
NEVER use crimp caps, butt connectors or t-taps when doing a remote start/alarm/keyless entry. You will have problems in the long run. Google a "military splice" and use that as well as solder the connection where possible. If you've never done a remote start or anything of the sort, don't start on your Infinity.

If you're doing a remote start and need a bypass- get a FLCAN but you will need it flashed to the specific vehicle which will require an FL-PROG. My recommendation is to take it to someone who knows what they're doing, you will save money in the long run. Most installers(me) will charge you more if you've already attempted to install something and failed and they have to re-do things. I've been doing this stuff for 10 years and still get into binds where products and/or vehicles aren't cooperating and things don't work quite the way they're supposed to the first time around.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:27 AM
Received 100 Likes on 87 Posts
Wow just saw this. Thanks a lot. The installer I was going to go with said he was going to use t taps because soldering "would get too messy"? Idk. I really just want to know what'a good price would be to install a basic viper alarm with remote start. I thought $325 was ok but everyone told me that's a huge ripoff.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any installer that says soldering " would get too messy" has never soldered anything. Soldering creates no mess at all (at least when done right).

How many shops have you contacted? I don't think $325 is a "huge ripoff" especially if you already have purchased the alarm. This assumes you truly want a professional installation and not some hack job. A professional car alarm installation is well worth paying a little extra for.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:56 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Booty Trudy
Wow just saw this. Thanks a lot. The installer I was going to go with said he was going to use t taps because soldering "would get too messy"? Idk. I really just want to know what'a good price would be to install a basic viper alarm with remote start. I thought $325 was ok but everyone told me that's a huge ripoff.
Yeah, $325 isn't bad. Just assume about $80-100 for skilled labor. It can easily be a four-hour job if you're doing things right.

$325 for hack-job though? wasted.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll chime in on this dinosaur ..
I had the 5901 installed on my G a few years ago.
First off,make sure they're authorized viper dealers if you'll have them install a viper alarm in your car.
2ND, $325 is a very good price for this install on our cars..the job took a full day. I have the 5901 which has more features & extra add ons like tilt alarm, backup battery etc. but it's well worth it. Almost 5 years later and no problems whatsoever. Great investment. Good luck!

Old 01-31-2014, 08:45 AM
Thank you all for giving me advice. Guess I should be concerned more about quality than the price. What I need to find now is a place that I can depend on. Any of you guys from houston? Lol. Or know a place in houston that does good work? Would best buy be a good place? I'm pretty sure they won't give any type it warranty since I bought the kit separately but maybe that won't be necessary if they do a solid job.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can search your area for authorized viper dealers..I believe you may contact viper & they'll provide that info also. Maybe try best buy but not sure theyll do it either. Shop around a bit for sure. Main thing is to get the job done correctly the first time, those wires are beastly.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:30 AM
Will do. Thanks again!

Old 01-31-2014, 02:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The alarm itself should have a lifetime DEI warranty IF you bought it from an authorized dealer so there shouldn't be any concerns there. Any shop should offer a lifetime warranty on their labor regardless of where you bought the alarm. If they solder all their connections and they are truly professionals you won't need that warranty any way.

Regardless of where you go make sure you tell them up front that your expectations are a clean, professionally installed alarm with all connections soldered. Tell them that BEFORE they put the car back together you want to inspect their brain placement and wire routing. As it is an alarm all the wires should blend in with the OEM wiring and when the car is put back together you shouldn't be able to see any components of the alarm under the dash (antenna, LED, etc should be visible).

Originally Posted by Big Booty Trudy
Thank you all for giving me advice. Guess I should be concerned more about quality than the price. What I need to find now is a place that I can depend on. Any of you guys from houston? Lol. Or know a place in houston that does good work? Would best buy be a good place? I'm pretty sure they won't give any type it warranty since I bought the kit separately but maybe that won't be necessary if they do a solid job.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:42 PM
Think best buy is the way to go! Got quotes from $700, $500, and best buys $400. Seems like everyone is afraid to solder wires or something. Best buy said $400, soldered, and warranty on labor. Not too bad

Old 02-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Do not go to best buy!! Lol

Old 02-14-2014, 01:59 PM
Wut? :/

Old 02-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Its a bunch of kids that dont know what they are doing..

Old 02-14-2014, 02:02 PM
Dang really? Wouldn't the warranty on labor take care of that tho?

Old 02-14-2014, 02:18 PM
Yeah but do u want to take the chance of someone messing with wires in your car.. There isnt a place near u that specializes in alarm installs??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VIPER 5901 remote start alarm