Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

$1700 enough?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cjr609
Now if I wanted to put a new HU in it, preferably a DD one, what all would I need? I know I would need the Dash kit that holds it, and it has the AC controls built into it, the JDM one is like $340, would I need anything else to make my HU and AC controls to work?
I would highly suggest the JDM kit. It looks 10x better IMO than the Metra kit does. You will need the JDM 05+ finisher and the AC controller. [url]http://www.grubbsperformance.com/servlet/Categories?category=G35+COUPE%3AINTERIOR[\url] Grubbs has both. Do not buy the DD bracket, you can use the stock one despite what this website says. For speakers I would highly suggest Morel if you can find a dealer around you that carries them. They are a little bit pricier than some, but they make up for it in sound quality. I would suggest a set of 6.5" components up front and a set of 6.5" coaxials for the rear. You may want to look into Image Dynamics for subwoofer. A 10" would probably do you just fine. I like the look of the 4080 fiberglass sub boxes that you hear so much about on this site. Maybe look into a 6 channel amplifier for the whole system to consolidate. Good luck

Old 03-29-2009, 06:57 PM
BUT.... Metra is half the price. and works the same jus diff looks (a little diff). u can get better stuff with that 150 extra. or find a used JDM one thats what i did

Old 03-30-2009, 11:54 AM
People see a final 2 ohm load with the fronts since the woofer and tweeter are wired in parallel with just a simple capacitor as a high pass filter. Technically every speaker in the car is a 4 ohm nominal load though. Either way, it doesn't really matter

Make sure you set aside at least a couple hundred for sound deadener...at least enough for the trunk and doors. Without deadening, no matter what you get, it will not sound good. Anyone that has skipped this step and thinks that their setup sounds good has never heard good sound.

Originally Posted by eljoker
if you have BOSE stock, then go with 2 ohm speakers, heard people had problems with the stock HU and speakers with 4 ohm

if you swap to a DD then any speaker should be fine i belive

Old 03-31-2009, 02:24 AM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I (or anyone else) would be able to give you the best recommendations based on what you are expecting sound wise, what kind of music you like listening to, etc. Personally I like a lot of different kinds of music, but love crisp highs like highhats and clean vocals, as well as musical bass of all frequencies. Thus I went w/ a set of DLS UP6 components up front. For my subs I used image dynamics IDQ v2 subs, which were awesome, but switched out to Rockford Fosgate power T1s for more power. (They can take much more power but I still prefer the IDQs). I am finally going to go with one IDMAX 10 in a 4080 box, modified by Bing at simplicityinsound. I've talked with a lot of different people (both in the business and enthusiasts) and they have all pretty much agreed that it is not worth it to change out rear components. Go with a set of good components up front, and a good sub in back (and amp/s of course) and you will have a great system.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:29 AM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I agree 100% that this should be done at the same time everything else is done, to save you both money and time. It does make a big difference.

Originally Posted by manbeer
Make sure you set aside at least a couple hundred for sound deadener...at least enough for the trunk and doors. Without deadening, no matter what you get, it will not sound good. Anyone that has skipped this step and thinks that their setup sounds good has never heard good sound.